Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDEE, BMR, and calorie counting

ANSWERED

I've looked at what my TDEE and BMR are (2,357 and 1,612) using iifym's calculator, and if I'm reading threads correctly, does this mean that anything burned over 1,612 are food calories being burned?

I'm trying to work out why my Fitbit HR says I've done say 700 calories worth of exercise but showing up much less on my MFP app. If I'm right with the above assumption I'll be better equipped to understand what my true food burn off is. If that makes sense...

Thanks for any help! 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@FatalKiwi wrote:

I've looked at what my TDEE and BMR are (2,357 and 1,612) using iifym's calculator, and if I'm reading threads correctly, does this mean that anything burned over 1,612 are food calories being burned?

I'm trying to work out why my Fitbit HR says I've done say 700 calories worth of exercise but showing up much less on my MFP app. If I'm right with the above assumption I'll be better equipped to understand what my true food burn off is. If that makes sense...

Thanks for any help! 

No. All that you burn ultimately comes from food calories.

Your question doesn't really make sense because I think you have a misunderstanding of how this is working.

If eating less than you burn daily, you are burning from food calories you've eaten through the years that have added on as fat when you ate more than you burned.

Literally after you eat you burn some of those calories, carbs are stored in muscles and liver, protein is sent off for repair, ect.

If eating more than you burn, some is also converted to fat stores.

But your BMR has nothing to do with that. That's merely what you'd burn if you slept all day.

You actually burn more the minute your brain wakes up, but you can view it as that extra activity is added on top of that base level which is still being burned to keep you alive.

But did you know there is no reason to estimate your TDEE from a rough 5 levels hoping you guessed correctly?

Your Fitbit is giving you a daily infinite level of TDEE depending on what you really do.

What does your Fitbit report your daily burn is on average?

That is your average TDEE. May end up matching a rough level guess from TDEE chart - may not.

You need to read this FAQ regarding MFP and Fitbit syncing.

That calorie adjustment, which just happens to be on the exercise diary - is NOT just exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-a...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Fitbit adds steps when we are in a car, bus, truck, etc so we may think we are burning more calories than we are.

Barb

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FatalKiwi wrote:

Thanks for any help! 

No. All that you burn ultimately comes from food calories.

Your question doesn't really make sense because I think you have a misunderstanding of how this is working.

If eating less than you burn daily, you are burning from food calories you've eaten through the years that have added on as fat when you ate more than you burned.

Literally after you eat you burn some of those calories, carbs are stored in muscles and liver, protein is sent off for repair, ect.

If eating more than you burn, some is also converted to fat stores.

But your BMR has nothing to do with that. That's merely what you'd burn if you slept all day.

You actually burn more the minute your brain wakes up, but you can view it as that extra activity is added on top of that base level which is still being burned to keep you alive.

But did you know there is no reason to estimate your TDEE from a rough 5 levels hoping you guessed correctly?

Your Fitbit is giving you a daily infinite level of TDEE depending on what you really do.

What does your Fitbit report your daily burn is on average?

That is your average TDEE. May end up matching a rough level guess from TDEE chart - may not.

You need to read this FAQ regarding MFP and Fitbit syncing.

That calorie adjustment, which just happens to be on the exercise diary - is NOT just exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-a...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer