Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get back at it and fight depression

ANSWERED

So, I was here and very active at the beginning of 2017. I lost 35 pounds all told, between January 1 and the end of August. At the end of August, my wife, who has been fighting terminal cancer for a long time, had her first diagnosis of brain metastases. She had laser surgery on the tumors and seemed to be doing okay, but right before Thanksgiving, she had whole brain radiation because the two-month scan had shown more tumors. 

Since then, she's been in the hospital once and come home on oxygen (her primary cancer was removed, but she's had lung mets since diagnosis). Oh—AND I got laid off. Turned out that was a blessing in disguise, since I've kind of become a full-time caretaker now. She's back to work a few hours a day, but since she can't walk very far, I have to drive her places and wheel her from building to building at the hospital complex. At home she's on the large home oxygen machine, so I play step and fetch most of the time.

I'm really depressed, and up until the last week, I've been in that unproductive "I should really start watching what I eat again and get exercising" stage where you don't actually watch what you eat OR exercise because you're stressed so you'll worry about it tomorrow.

Except that I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. And depressed. And sore and backed up and uncomfortable... I've gained back 30 of the 35 pounds I lost, which makes me feel like a loser in a bad way. 

But I'm not. I'm just in a cruddy place right now. So I'm going to set a goal between now and New Year's Eve of drinking one less Coke and one more glass of water everyday. I'd love to lose the thirty pounds I lost last year, and then thirty more.

But first, one less Coke and one more glass of water. Baby steps. 

Just throwing myself out there—worked 12 months ago, right? I'm hoping for the same mutual support again this time!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When my spouse had a breakdown, well I know how hard it is to be the worrier, the caretaker and the strength of someone else. Welcome back, I hope you get the support you need.  Hang in there!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

When my spouse had a breakdown, well I know how hard it is to be the worrier, the caretaker and the strength of someone else. Welcome back, I hope you get the support you need.  Hang in there!

Best Answer

I hope you find the support you need. You can do it!

Welcome back!

Merry Christmas!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Welcome Back! I won't pretend to know what you're going through. I will say though, that I'll offer encouragement whenever and wherever I can. Congrats on the decision to get started.  After all, this journey to weight loss begins in our heads, not our bodies. 🙂  All the best to you!

Best Answer

you can do it

Best Answer