Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to loose weight

Trying to loose weight while working nights on a 12 hour shift . Any pointers ...?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the community, @Dejaa!

Are you able to eat proper meals during your 12-hour shifts? Or do you bring your own food? Getting enough quality sleep is of paramount importance for weight loss (lack of sleep leads to chronically elevated cortisol levels, which makes losing weight harder): I understand it can be challenging when doing shift work.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes , I do have to bring my own meals . I usually sleep most of the day until it’s time for work . Depending on how I am feeling I may get up and eat a snack during the day . Or if I don’t my first and only meal of the day is at night when I eat at work . I know that sounds so unhealthy . I have started back working out at the gym . I go directly after work for about 1 hour and 20 minutes .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dejaa it is all about finding balance regardless if you work night, days or both. The sleep norm is considered 8 hours so I would set a time for those 8 hours. As tempting as it may be to sleep longer, I would get up. Have breakfast, go to work and then do all the things that keep life ticking after work. Go to sleep at your predetermined time. I know the days you don't work will be difficult because you will be doing the opposite of what your plan is - but try to stick to a schedule as much as you can..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi @Dejaa -- I have a thought which may not be very popular in this fitness-oriented Community -- if you are working 12 hour shifts, then managing your stress is key, and your available free time is precious.

Therefore I'd ask myself if 80 minutes a day at the gym improves or detracts from the quality of my life.  You can definitely lose weight and keep fit with 20 minutes of daily exercise while reclaiming an hour of valuable time to further reduce your stress.  

Best Answer

I would agree with previous posters that if you already have a super-long shift, it may not be the best idea to further delay bedtime by spending more than one hour (plus, I guess, commuting) exercising right after your shift. Besides, even for people with a "normal" schedule, intense exercising late in the evening and close to bedtime isn’t optimal either. Would it be feasible for you to go to the gym before starting your shift?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes