Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Fitbit for weight loss.

I have been using myfitnesspal to keep track of calories. It says I need to eat 1580 calories to lose two pounds a week. I know that Fitbit is a bit more dynamic with how it tracks that because it tracks my calories and then just says I need to have a 1000 calorie deficit.

My question is can I trust that or am I better off just sticking with the static calorie amount that myfitnesspal gives me? I have heard that the Fitbit calories can be a little wonky and I don't want to end up eating way more calories than I should just because the app says I am under target.

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

You could google how many calories you should eat to lose weight for your gender, height, & weight.  I would trust that more.They would give other info as well probably.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The proof is in the pudding as they say. I would say the fitbit app is a good guide, but if you don't see progress, decrease your calorie intake. I had a problem of underestimating the size of the portions I was eating. You may  need to measure or weigh portions initially in order to input accurate information into the app. Just stick with it. In my journey over the last year and a half I've hit several plateaus, a couple lasting six weeks with no net weight loss. Eventually, by sticking to the plan, I resumed progress toward my goal. I am in the range now that I want to maintain, but I am still tracking food and activity and weighing in, to make sure I don't start gaining again. I enjoy eating as much as ever, but I eat more slowly, and less, than before. Keep with it, you can do it!

SBNash806

Best Answer

My adult daughter eats so fast I'm only half finished with my meal.  I doubt she can even taste her food.  Eating is one of life's great pleasures.  Wouldn't it be better if she could  make it last a little longer?  How did you manage to learn to eat more slowly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was in the same boat as your daughter, but with many more years of practice at eating WAY too quickly to really enjoy it. I found the encouragement to eat more slowly through some of the mindfulness exercises in the Noom app (I am a long time fitbit user, but really credit Noom for helping me put it together with healthy eating to lose weight). It has to be very intentional at first, take a bite, put your fork down, chew it a certain number of times, pick out the different tastes/flavors etc., swallow, maybe take a sip of water, repeat... It gives more time to enjoy the food, and it also gives your body time for your stomach to tell your brain you are full!

Best Answer

Certainly Fitbit (and other tracker's) estimates of calories burned are guess-timates, so be careful there. If you are maintaining your weight, you could start by counting your calories consumed, and calculate a deficit from that.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

I agree @SBNash806 that measuring and weighing your food is extremely helpful in dialing in your food intake. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit tracks the calories you enter as intake and also tracks your calories burned so it fluctuates through the day. When I was losing weight, I kept it all manual. I calculated how many calories per day I would eat. I weighed my food for every meal and I went above the recommended calories burned to give myself a buffer. but like someone said here, if you are staying the same, make adjustments. If you are gaining, make adjustments. If you are losing- celebrate your success and keep doing what you do. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer