Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was told too much walking bad with Keto..??

I have been getting my body back into shape and out of pain since sugery and complications last year. Walking has been pretty much all I could do during this time. I finally got up to 10k steps a day and often get more. I do this at least 5 days per week. I also do the daily exercises that my PT gives to me. Anyway...I started a keto diet about 3.5 weeks ago and was told by a few people in Keto groups that that much cardio is keeping me from losing more weigh. Is there truth to this? Something about raising my insulin because it drives up cortisol. They said only muscle building exercises are good (which I really cannot do at this point). Thoughts??

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Yes, exercising too much can raise your cortisol and cause your body to cling to its fat stores for dear life.

But I'm not sure I'd say 10,000 steps a day would be considered excessive.  It's really close to what someone who is is naturally active would do.

So they have the right theory - "chronic cardio" stalls weight loss - but I don't think it applies in this situation.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

Thank you for your reply!

That sparks another question for me. I have to walk on the treadmill at least 90 mins at 3-3.5mph (this is just where my endurance is at this point...was MUCH lower only a couple of months ago) in order to get to 10k...this includes daily activities around the house/grocery store, etc. I know I get frustrated because I am not where I was before surgery or where most people I know are...but this seems like A LOT of walking for a mere 10k. It seems in the past week or so it has gotten to where I have to work harder for the same amount of steps. I don't get it. Nothing has changed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As an example - yesterday I went grocery shopping and to physical therapy. Also did several loads of laundry (up and down a flight of stairs). This was on top of 105 mins on the treadmill. I only logged 10,380 steps. Very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Honestly?  I lowered my step goal to 7,000 steps.  On days that I run, I get almost the whole 7,000 in before breakfast and the rest is a bonus.  On days that I don't, I usually get it right before I climb into bed.

Yes, the goal is set at 10,000 steps when you sign up, and that's a good number for a lot of people.  But if it isn't working for you, then it isn't working for you.  If you think you would be better off spending 30 of those 90 minutes lifting weights instead and only getting 7,000 steps every day, then that sounds like a good idea.  It's more balanced, and weight training is good for you.

As time goes by, it might not take quite so long to get 10,000 steps in, and you can change your goal.  In the mean time, don't beat yourself up over a number.  Stessing over it is definitely going to increase your cortisol!  Smiley Wink

FitBit One
Best Answer

Thanks - I do appreciate it very much. I wish I could lift weights but I have not gotten the okay. But I am doing my PT prescribed exercises twice a day. Mostly just ab work...planks and such. As soon as I can do weights, I will 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Walking has a minimal impact on weight loss and takes a very long chunk out of your free time, that's why most people advised against it and suggested weight lifting. You will burn more calories in 10-20 minutes of weightlifting than in an hour walking on the treadmill. Plus, you will gain muscle and this will increasse your resting metabolic rate, meaning you will burn more calories without doing anything. Also, once you get to your goal weight, your body will look much better and in case you're losing a lot of weight, the loose skin effect is severely diminished.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I would love to be able to lift weights. But as I stated above, I cannot do that at this point due to some joint and muscle damage. I am working with a Physical Yherapist and doing the exercises he prescribes. Hopefully soon that will include weights but not now. I figured walking is better than nothing. If walking is such a waste then why the recommended 10k steps a day?
Best Answer

Dont get me wrong, walking is better than nothing. It's just that it's not the most efficient way of getting some exercise in.

But yeah, in your specific case where walking is the only option, go for it. Good luck with your recovery!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know I'm late but one thing I would say is that it is more important for you to raise your heart rate than it is to meander around at a moderate pace for 10K steps.  Steps are not the ultimate goal.  The ultimate goal is to burn more calories, which you will do if you increase the intensity of your exercise. 

I think it would be good for your body if you would start doing some moderate intervals.  If you are walking at 3-3.5 mph for 90 minutes maybe you could try alternating walking at 4-4.5 mph for 30 seconds and then going back down to 3 mph for long enough to catch your breath (and have your heart rate go down).  If you do this for 45 minutes you will burn more calories than you will walking at 3mph.  As your endurance improves you should increase the top speed.

As for not doing cardio on Keto I have to echo what others have said.  Too much cardio is not good on keto but walking at 3-3.5 mph is hardly too much cardio.

Best Answer

Thanks! 

I am on a beta blocker for SVT (a form of tachycardia) which keeps my HR down. So I probably do not get the benefits of cardio in that way. It will get to about 100-120 if I am really struggling but not for long and I am careful not to let it because I don't want to get into SVT. It sucks because I am limited on a couple of different fronts right now. So I am really doing all that I am able at this point. I realize it isn't ideal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Walking has a minimal impact on weight loss and takes a very long chunk out of your free time, that's why most people advised against it and suggested weight lifting. You will burn more calories in 10-20 minutes of weightlifting than in an hour walking on the treadmill. Plus, you will gain muscle and this will increasse your resting metabolic rate, meaning you will burn more calories without doing anything. Also, once you get to your goal weight, your body will look much better and in case you're losing a lot of weight, the loose skin effect is severely diminished."

I've lost 135 pounds walking. Walkers in the long term do not suffer the knee or hip injuries that runners experience.

Trainers know that many weight lifters are in horrible cardio shape because of what you discussed. Weight lifting is great for toning but to suggest it willl diminsh loose skin is questionable at best.

Best Answer

@thethinker wrote:

Walkers in the long term do not suffer the knee or hip injuries that runners experience.

Trainers know that many weight lifters are in horrible cardio shape because of what you discussed. Weight lifting is great for toning but to suggest it willl diminsh loose skin is questionable at best.

The whole thing about runners having bad knees because of running is a myth.  Like with most exercise, the muscles surrounding the moving parts (in the case, the knees) become stronger and more supportive of the joint. They also adapt to added pressure, which helps in the long run (pun intended).

In a nutshell, if you're going to get arthritis and have painful knees, then you're going to have arthritis and have painful knees.  That happens whether you're running or sitting on the couch watching soap operas.  Now if you do have bad knees already, running might aggravate it and make it more painful, at which point you should stop and maybe try something else.  But it won't cause it in the first place.  In fact, it can either prevent or stall knee problems.

And weightlifters are no different from anyone else.  If they only lift and don't ever get their heart pumping, then their overall health will suffer.  That doesn't make lifting bad, just incomplete, the same way a runner or a walker will almost always be healthier if they lift weights to stress opposing muscles.

You're right, though.  Weight training will do absolutely nothing to help with loose skin.  I'm not sure what really does, short of surgery if it's a lot, and time if it isn't.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

>You're right, though. Weight training will do absolutely nothing to help with loose skin. I'm not sure what really does, short of surgery if it's a lot, and time if it isn't.

If you go to reddit and check out the keto sub, you will see almost all of the morbidly obese people who lost a ton of weight also incorporated weightlifting into their routine and they say it helped with the loose skin. I'm talking here about people who started at over 150kg, some even close to or even above the 200kg mark. Also /r/ketogains has a lot of advice about this specific issue. I was just really fat when I started keto, about 110kg, so for me loose skin is not an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HeatherRayne wrote:

As an example - yesterday I went grocery shopping and to physical therapy. Also did several loads of laundry (up and down a flight of stairs). This was on top of 105 mins on the treadmill. I only logged 10,380 steps. Very frustrating.

I think this is because Fitbit does not count steps if your Fitbit wearing arm is not moving back and forth. I found this out when I had a long hike and held my arm on my backpack most of the way. So if you're carrying stuff or pushing a shopping cart, or using a cane as I do sometimes, it does not count your steps.

I cannot do weight training either and, being in fairly sorry shape, it takes an effort for me to get in 10,000 steps. I do manage the 10K and sometimes more most days but I'm extremely achy by the end of each day and have trouble sleeping. Perhaps the pain is making me extra grouchy, but grouchy I do get when people tell me that I'm not doing enough and that this doesn't count and isn't useful for anything. Why the h***  is anyone suggesting we do it, and why is the Fitbit even bothering to count the steps, then?

Best Answer

@HolyGigi wrote:

If you go to reddit and check out the keto sub, you will see almost all of the morbidly obese people who lost a ton of weight also incorporated weightlifting into their routine and they say it helped with the loose skin. I'm talking here about people who started at over 150kg, some even close to or even above the 200kg mark. Also /r/ketogains has a lot of advice about this specific issue. I was just really fat when I started keto, about 110kg, so for me loose skin is not an issue.

So what do they say is the actual mechanism for this?

I could see muscles pulling in (tightening up) areas as the muscle strength improves, but skin is skin.  You can move it around and maybe pull it in toward your body more, and maybe that might make it look like there is less, espeially if you're wearing clothing.  But you can't actually shrink skin tissue with weight training.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know much about Ketogenic diet except it is very hard long-term on your liver and kidneys. I do know walking actually lowers your cortisol levels compared to weight training that does increase your level of cortisol as it stresses the mucles. Walking, although time consuming, is a great way to burn calories while you are recovering from surgery. Keep up the good work! I suggest you ask your doctor about it to clear up the matter. 

Best Answer

I don't know much about Ketogenic diet except it is very hard long-term on your liver and kidneys

Please dont post if you don't know what you're tallking about. Keto is not hard on your liver and kidneys long term. It's not a high protein diet, it's high fat-medium protein-very low carb.  

Best Answer

@TurbochargeLife wrote:

I don't know much about Ketogenic diet except it is very hard long-term on your liver and kidneys. I do know walking actually lowers your cortisol levels compared to weight training that does increase your level of cortisol as it stresses the mucles. Walking, although time consuming, is a great way to burn calories while you are recovering from surgery. Keep up the good work! I suggest you ask your doctor about it to clear up the matter. 

Health problems do not come from your body being temporarily stressed, like with weight lifting or a reasonable amount of exercise.  That's actually good for it, and your body will adapt in a healthy way by building more muscle and making your heart work better.

Health problems come from long term unresolved stress, with cortisol levels elevated and not dipping back down again for days or weeks or even years.

Unless you lift weights for hours and hours (and hours) every single day of your life, then your cortisol levels will not be elevated long enough to be a problem.  To be honest, you would have MUCH higher risk of that happening if you were in a bad relationship or had a crummy boss or were in debt.  Not weight lifting.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

Of course health problems do not come from temporary stress from lifting weights. I was responding to her comment about people telling her weight lifting was better than walking to lower cortisol levels. People were telling her that her walking was interfering with her weight loss because it raised cortisol levels, and she should be lifting weights. She isn't able to do that right now. I was just lettng her know walking is not going to raise her cortisol levels and encouraged her to keep walking. 🙂 Resistance training , cardio,and  flexibility training are all important to reach your ultimate health along with a healthy eating plan. 

Best Answer