Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly or Daily Weigh-ins?

I'm interested in hearing how many people weigh weekly and and how many do it daily, and the reasons? Which method provides the greatest motivation?

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I weigh in daily to track trends but do weekly average for goal. I also do body measerments weekly for a monthly average for goal

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I weigh in daily to track trends but do weekly average for goal.

Since you have the Fitbit Aria, do link your Fitbit account to Trendweight, which will display the trend for you in a very legible way.

As to weekly averages, the Fitbit mobile app does it for you:

weight_average.png

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh daily in part to desensitize myself, to get away from the judgement aspect that still is in my brain. Also it's reinforcing--if up I'm motivated to stick to the plan, if down I'm encouraged to stick to the plan. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

for me, I weigh myself weekly. I found that when I weighed my self daily I became too obsessed with every ounce and if I put on anything, I was heartbroken. However, I feel, it is down to how the individual feels more motivated. Either, daily to monitor the weight and to adjust on a daily basis, or weekly to get a more overall view of the past seven days.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I weigh myself daily and track it on Happy Scale on my iPhone. It works out the average.
Best Answer

For those of you who weigh yourself weekly because you THINK you see a better result. That's not totally true. You will be more frustrated when the weight fluctuates UP on your weigh in day and you stay the same weight or gain. Then you have to spend the whole week to think why you gained or didn't lose. I was a victim of that which is why I weigh myself everyday now and take the average. Besides, weighing yourself everyday is more accurate than weekly.

Weighing myself everyday, I found that either my weight stays the same or it drops. I rarely experience any fluctuations over a lb.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Weighing daily, focusing on the trend rather than the daily number. Being able to catch possible slow weight gains (body fat), and adjust if necessary (eating more natural foods), listening to hunger more closely.. Cat Embarassed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very well said....unfortunately a lot of fitness sources recommend the once a week method, which is unfortunately not very helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is what I do, too. It is not quite accurate to weigh yourself only once a week, and too frustrating to pay too close attention to the every day numbers.

I keep a chart in my bathroom, I weigh myself, write it down, then just forget about it until the end of the week when I add up all the numbers and average them out.

@JohnRiwrote:

I weight myself roughly the same day everyday.  Right after getting up in the morning after going to the bathroom. 

However I pretty much ignore daily numbers, and I look at weekly averages. 

The reason is this, if you were to only tke your weight on Sunday, this can't be misleading.

For example. 

Sunday 155.5 - Average 156.2

Monday 156.4

Tuesday 155.9

Wednesday 154.3

Thursday 154.7

Friday 155.1

Saturday 154.9

Sunday 155.7

Weekly Average between Monday to Sunday 155.2.  If you were to only take your weight one day a week, you would think you gained.  But the Average shows a minor loss.

Since your body weight can change 2 or even 3 lbs due to water weight gain, a weekly Average is better tool than daily numbers.

The Firbit calculates averages from Sunday to Saturday.  So that's what I look at.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My opinion is that daily weighing helps you understand and get comfortable with the water weight fluctuations.

My opinion is that if you weigh weekly, you could appear to have a 4 pound loss or gain from one week to the next, but not have the necessary context to know if it's real or due to a water blip.

Best Answer

My journey started March 30th 2016, I had been retired for a year and I decided to look after myself as I had been looking after my family since I was 7 years old. It was time for me, on this day I weight 315 pounds and I was a mess. No health issues just tired and aches and pains in my back and knees. I decided not to do any diets or visit a costly gym where my low self esteem would be crushed and I would put more stress on myself and that is where I feel the weight gain began with me. I decided a life change was what I needed. So I refused to let money out of my wallet to expand my waist line. No more pop and sweets. Leave the fast food to those that don't care about anyone except there desire for my money and time.I weigh myself daily approx. the same time morning before breakfast after the washroom break. I had asked my Dr. about losing the weight and would 10 pounds a month be OK. He said go for it. I lost 50 pounds by July. then it slowed down.I started by weighing myself weekly but getting down as the numbers were not down where I though they should be. Then a thought occurred to me instead of looking at 10 pounds look to smaller goals. !0 pound a month =2.5 pounds a week, 2.5 pound a week = 0.357 a day.  I chose to weigh myself daily and I was hitting my mark and I felt high as I kite that I made my daily goal. I was stoked the entire day and was looking forward to the next weigh in. some days I lost more and other days less but I was recording my weight in my journal along with how I felt on those days.On July 1, 2017 I had lost 150 pound. And by September that year I lost a total of 167 pounds. I still weigh myself daily and I treat myself every now and again. Remembering more exercise walking outdoors and letting the stress of the day leave my body, it was relaxing to walk with music than to sit and worry about tomorrow. I use fit bit to help when I gained weight over Xmas and now I'm back on track to my original goal and added 5 more pounds to my goal. 145 pound is now my goal. And with the tracker it has helped me keep on track.

Best Answer

I used to do weekly weigh ins, but my therapist and I decided to change to once a month weigh ins and measurements. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh in weekly. Not only does it stop me from stressing about my weight, but I get to see my progress over time. See if I did well or bad from one week to the next and see what needs tweaking.

Best Answer

I weigh in weekly on Saturday mornings. I don't want to obsess about the scale. My main focus is my eating habits, how my clothes fit and how I am feeling. I am no longer overweight. I keep an eye on the scale to make sure my weight isn't going back up but every day is too much in my opinion. Your eating habits (tracking) and your clothes tell the better story. I set an alarm on my devices in the early am to weigh in before I eat or drink anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Daily. I don't get upset if my weight goes up a day. I still look at the overall trend line to see if it goes up or down. I prefer daily because I can see what foods have me retain water, mood etc. It also just helps me stay in the habit of eating healthy and getting a start on the day. If weight weekly then I may start to forget. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just purchased a Fitbit aria 2 scale and I weigh daily.

Best Answer