Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss + Foot Injury

ANSWERED

Dear Community,

23 Yrs Old and an avid runner + strength training was part of my routine for years.

In June, following a hiking trip I suffered a Bone Contusion of my Foot: Tarso Metarsal Joint

Yoga, Cycling, Free Weights, Occasional Youtube Pilates Video have been keeping me going.

Its now been 3 months and sometimes I wonder will it ever heal, it is difficult for me to walk far or at all at times.

Healthy eating and shakes have kept me in balance, however I have still gained 3 lbs. I know this is a minimal amount, however can we all relate to keeping fit and doing our best to stayin on track.

Looking for advice to keep my cardio going + weight in range.

P.S. no regular pool access to swim laps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Gym access for weight machines?

Next best thing to free weights, even if they are a bunch of iso lifts compared to compound.

But, you make it circuit training so there is strong cardio component too.

4 sets by 20 reps, enough weight to be almost failure by end of set. 1 min rest max.

Of course, this much movement between machines just begs for problems if you can only go during busy time.

Perhaps you can convince all the other users to do free weights and compound moves, leaving the machines for you.

I did them with crutches for 4 months to maintain strength and cardio after trimalleolar break. And 1 legged spin classes. I had swimming too though.

2 days after being released for full weight bearing, did a 50 mile group ride event no problem. Though many thought I was foolish.

Can you do sitting only spin classes - and confirm you only full back on foot, so no pushing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi!

Sorry for your foot injury....funny how the littlest bones in the wrong places (ones that are effected by movement, balance, etc.) take the longest to heal.

Yoga done with some intensity can be a full body, full sweat but low impact exercise. 

MIght suggest taking a look at your actual normal foods you're eating?  Do what you can with your foot for exercise, and make adjustments to what you're eating....very easy to achieve happy balance to maintain your target weight/fitness while noruishing your body to aid in foot healing up.....

So, generally, what did you eat today or what are going to eat tomorrow???

Best Answer

How kind of you to reply

Yes, foot injuries are something we have to work around

meal day 1:

-protein shake: 1 scoop whey, some frozen fruit, ice and water/ 1 scoop whey, greens+ powder

-slice of toast with peanut butter *sometimes*

-green salad spinach leaf almonds sprinkled a bowl

-snack: container of oranges topped with 90 calorie greek yogurt + multigrain crackers

-two whole wheat rotis homemade

-lentils + cooked vegetables

-sometimes* glass of almond milk before i sleep at night

Appreiate your help thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Meal Day 2 

-3 flaxseed homemade pancakes 2cm diameter+ 1 banana 

-drizzled in maple syrup 

-bowl of lentil soup

-granola bar snack

-2 whole wheat rotis with cooked vegetables

i eat alternating these two meal plans most days of the week. twice like on a friday and wednesday include a treat like two scoops of gelato after dinner or eat a little heavier for lunch, like a multigrain bread sandwich with nitrate turkey hummus and cheese. 

calorie cycling right so my metabolism doesnt get sleepy

experts lets see how you can help 🙂

x

Best Answer
0 Votes
hey thanks for helping me with my post, i replied back

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Weight-Loss/Weight-Loss-Foot-Injury/m-p/483292/highlight/false#M1221...

also. i was thinking i have exams coming soon so maybe its the cortisol
thats responsible.. hmm...

--
amritadhanoa
Best Answer
0 Votes

Gym access for weight machines?

Next best thing to free weights, even if they are a bunch of iso lifts compared to compound.

But, you make it circuit training so there is strong cardio component too.

4 sets by 20 reps, enough weight to be almost failure by end of set. 1 min rest max.

Of course, this much movement between machines just begs for problems if you can only go during busy time.

Perhaps you can convince all the other users to do free weights and compound moves, leaving the machines for you.

I did them with crutches for 4 months to maintain strength and cardio after trimalleolar break. And 1 legged spin classes. I had swimming too though.

2 days after being released for full weight bearing, did a 50 mile group ride event no problem. Though many thought I was foolish.

Can you do sitting only spin classes - and confirm you only full back on foot, so no pushing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I can Cycle.

I am going to take your advice, so far with my weights ive been doing

10 min cycle 

15 reps X 3 weight exercises     *  two sets

amping it up to 20 reps 4 sets 

spinning longer 30 minutes im going to push myself after hearing your story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will confess, when only able to do 1 legged - 30 min was it.

Because for good spin with decent resistance, you aren't pushing down only, causing body to go up as much, and boy did you feel it with no gravity relief of other leg pushing.

But as soon as he gave the boot enough angle of movement, and said I could put like 30 lbs of weight on it, I used scale to see how much pressure that was, confirmed the angle given allowed a pedaling stroke, I used both legs sitting the entire time, focusing on pull-back just to confirm I didn't push too much, since muscles were still strong from machines. Except calf of course.

And each time he gave me more weight after 4 weeks, I confirmed that and used it.

I know I got some stairs hobbling on crutches with boot over to laying leg press machine, and either empty at start or 5-10 lbs (since it has weight already on sled), and pushing with booted foot this little tiny allowed angle for calf work. It helped. My other calf is smaller still after 4 years, perhaps it helped too much!

What kind of weight machines do you have?

I had machines that duplicated the bent-over row, bench, overhead press, lat pull-down of course, leg extension, leg curl, lower back, and abs with normal stuff. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

atm @ home: i have a bowflex and wonderful fall weather outdoors to cycle 

gym: free weights, lat pulldown, barbell*sometimes, pilates ball, weighted ball, bench

i would do this combination:

1) bench press dumbells:

2) lunges: non weighted on a bench

3) russian twists

4) lat machine

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, actually I have gone through this post but you faced foot injuries I also but another way. So my suggestion is that you just wear lightweight shoes which is very helpful for all of you. But if you interested to collect information about it then just browse best mens hiking boots 

Best Answer
0 Votes