Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss with Sleep Loss?

ANSWERED

Every article out there says that sleep is important for weight loss, and that a lack of sleep is tied to obesity. Sounds about right. After eating all those energy bars at 2:00 AM to get my homework done, I've packed on a whoopin' 30 pounds.

I don't want to repeat that next school year... (u_u) 

If I keep myself from eating late at night, will I gain weight anyway? I've searched and searched but there doesn't seem to be a loophole.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Wawlden  Sleeping causes your metabolism to slow down.

"Hit the sack. Skimping on sleep can alter your metabolism, says Sanjay Patel, MD, assistant professor of medicine at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.  Lack of sleep can decrease the number of calories your body burns just resting -- performing the basic necessities of life, like pumping blood, breathing and repairing damaged tissues. According to Berardi, the rate of calories your body burns at rest represents about 60% to 75% of your total daily calorie burning, which makes slowing it through lack of sleep a serious roadblock to weight loss."

Read the full article from WebMd - click

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@Wawlden  Hmmm.....that's an interesting question.

@Wawlden wrote:

If I keep myself from eating late at night, will I gain weight anyway?

That's hard to say. You need to look at your calories consumed versus the calories burned. If you are careful with what you eat, use the food log available here, then you might see why you're gaining weight.

Some of those energy bars are loaded with carbs, which turn into sugar in your system. That means weight gain.

Just monitor what you're eating and step up the activity and you should see a difference. Losing weight will also give you more energy.

Welcome to the forums.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that most of the studies point to the fact that the actual sleep is important. I don't think it's the fact that you are eating late at night, though that has also been shown to correlate with weight gain. 

I'll try to find actual articles for you, but they were saying that the quantity and quality of sleep you got were important factors in weight management. They found that people who got less than 7-9 hours of sleep a night were more likely to be in an unhealthy weight class. YMMV, but you should try to see if you can get more sleep, either by going to sleep earlier or waking up later.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Odyssey13 - I was also wondering about how a slowed-down metabolism would affect weight loss. Because that's what little sleep is supposed to do, right?
You're right though, most of the problem was that I binged a lot.

TheSageMage- Thank you. I read that sleep loss triggers chemicals in the body that cause hunger sensations that would otherwise not occur if well rested. Thus the late night munchies ensue...?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kind of varies study per study but I find that if you ate the correct nutrients and a focused mindset you'll lose weight.

Ditch those "energy bars". Those are not healthy for you at all by the way. Nor is "5 Hour Energy Drinks" in consistent usage if you went there as a substitute.

1) The back of the label spells trouble. 200 Calories, 18Gs of Sugar, Carbs, Sodium, highly processed. 10 of those little guys is your full day of food and you can't eat breakfast, lunch or dinner without gaining weight.

I ate three a day and gained six pounds in a week. Quit those little guys and lost 8 in a week.

2) 5 Hour Energy Drinks are loaded with caffeine. And there's also news articles you can end up losing your life.

Insufficient sleep could also lead to loss of your life as well. So yeah. Get some sleep.

Here's a website documentary of lack of sleeping:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/expert-answers/lack-of-sleep/faq-20057757

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wawlden  Sleeping causes your metabolism to slow down.

"Hit the sack. Skimping on sleep can alter your metabolism, says Sanjay Patel, MD, assistant professor of medicine at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.  Lack of sleep can decrease the number of calories your body burns just resting -- performing the basic necessities of life, like pumping blood, breathing and repairing damaged tissues. According to Berardi, the rate of calories your body burns at rest represents about 60% to 75% of your total daily calorie burning, which makes slowing it through lack of sleep a serious roadblock to weight loss."

Read the full article from WebMd - click

Best Answer
0 Votes

@josephz2va Getting enough sleep should be no problem since this fall's classes will probably be easier... otherwise, I better not drive. ( ̄。 ̄)

@Odyssey13 just what I needed!  thanks!

Best Answer

I always knew that when I didn't sleep that I would be unusually hungry the following day. But after really researching the topic, I was shocked at how huge a role sleep plays in our metabolism and health in general. It throws most if not all of the major fat burning and fat storing hormones completely out of wack. There are many articles and youtube videos on this topic. But basically, the hormones responsible for burning fat come to a standstill. The hormones that tell our body to store fat are working overtime. Not only that, there is another hormone telling us to crave food...especially carbs. All of the healthful eating and exercise in the world can not compensate for lost sleep. I know there are going to be nights when we can't sleep for various reasons. But if this is a regular habit, you will continue to gain weight even if you give up your energy bars. The other thing I wanted to point out is that it is always best to stop eating three to four hours prior to going to sleep. During the night your body really needs every ounce of energy for restoring and repairing. When we eat too close to bedtime, our bodies wind up devoting the bulk of energy to digestion. I started this habit of going to bed on an empty stomach eight months ago and it really does help with sleep and weight loss. It isn't easy to get into the habit at first, but if you give it a few days, you will start to see the benefits and feel better when you wake up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes