Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight gain from anti-depressants.... Good ways to lose weight?

I started taking antidepressants in february of last year... and I have gained about 40 lbs and tried varuious different medication swtiches. I currently need the medication for my mental health but would really love to lose this weight. Any suggestions or anyone have similar problems after the start of anti depressants? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

I had that problem too.  I then saw a different doctor who put me on topomax in addition to my other still very important medications.  Topomax is a  mood stabilizer that also is an appetite suppressant.  It's not extreme, like a diet pill-it just brings your hunger level back down to that of a "normal" person to counteract the extreme hunger that the other medications can cause.  I also worked with a nutritionist on learning how to be mindful of my body's hunger signals-stop eating when I'm full, only eat when I'm actually hungry and that's helped a lot too, but that was more in connection with a past eating disorder and not as much with the medication.  I hope this helps.

Best Answer

I have a friend whom suffered from depression, he also put on alot of weight, but he found an alternative method for dealing with the depression.

He used guided meditation techniques for depression, and he has never been better! he lost all the weight he gained, he taught me how to use meditation to aid my  weight loss, and it has helped!

Best Answer

Topomax is often called 'Dopomax' because of its tendency to turn people into zombies who aren't depressed but don't actually care what's going on either. I wouldn't suggest it just for weight loss..

Some medications are absolutely evil when it comes to weight management. You can't not take them but you hate the side effects.. I was on one where I was ravenous constantly. It didn't matter how much I ate. Some of them don't cause hunger and just make your body retain more.. Either way, focus on healthier eating. I know a lot of people trying to lose weight hate hearing it again but one of the best things is to keep healthy snacks around and get rid of all the junk food so your not even tempted. Keep the healthy stuff everywhere so it's easy to get to and makes the healthy choice easier.

Two things that work for me but don't for everyone are to drink TONS of water and get plenty of exersize. If possible, wear yourself out physically every day. For some reason, for some people, that exersize can act as an appetite suppressant. For others it's really just a matter of being too tired to want to get up and go to the fridge.

Best Answer

I have been on anit-depressants now for about 5 years.  In my first year, I  too gained wieght as my body was adjusting to the change in hormones etc.  Drink a lot of water as dehydration leads to weight gain as we think we are hungry but we are actually needing water (or liquid of some sort).  I try, and not always successful, to drink a glass of water about 20 minutes before each meal and I find I do not eat as much and am satisfied.

I suddenly, seriously felt like overnight, gained 15 pounds last year and I have been told its because I am perimenopausal which leads to weight gain particularly around hips and stomach.  It really sucks sometimes being female and hormonal!!

Take it one day at a time and do not deprive yourself (allow for a cheat day or something similar) as it helps to keep you on track and it gives me someting to look forwar to.  Saturday is mine and we often go to a movie (yup popcorn and nachos),  And yes I often feel crappie after as my body says "what the  hell was that." but i still to it!!

Best Answer

I wasn't suggesting it "just" for weight loss, as the original person was already on antidepressants.  I wouldn't suggest it otherwise and I wouldn't suggest it without talking about it with one's doctor first.

Best Answer

Thank you! I might ask my doctor about that! 🙂 happy dieting lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! Yoga and meditation have been recommended to me before, I'm thinking about trying it, thanks for your help! 🙂

Best Answer

Thanks so much! I've been trying the lots of wter drinking the last few days and it's been very helpful!! I think the cheat day is a great idea, thanks for your help! 🙂

Best Answer

Thank you, i agree about the medications being evil haha, the water thing has been helping! Thanks for your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have one word 'welloft'. It is a 2 combination of zoloft and welbutin. I started it in Jan. 2013 and went from size 26 to 16 in a year. I don't weigh so I don't know the actual loss. I was very depressed and now I am a different person. I walk outside (even in cold) with music and love life again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I had the same problem.  After 6 months on meds I gained 30# without any change in my eating/activity levels.  I have tapered off the meds and am now working on getting this weight off.  I think the meds slowed my metabolism to be honest. I did try several different meds but either they didn't work on my depression or they kept me heavy.

Currently using the Personal Trainer diet [much healthier than I was eating] and increasing my activity with motivation from my Fitbit and the community.

Take care!

Mod Edit: Edited for consistency.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I'm currently on a variety of medications some of which include anti depressants. There are two schools of thought on this:

1) Your antidepressant makes you hungrier so you eat more food hence the weight gain.

2) Your antidepressant makes you bloated, etc. and maybe slows your metablism etc. (I don't know much about that part).

I've been on many and I know it depends on your body. If you work with your doctor, and monitor your weight gain, consumption diligently, you might be able to find one that works. I'm on Wellbutrin and it has worked well for me.

You have to make a conscious effort not to eat the bad food and/or to have healthy alternatives. It's very hard to do but I'm sure you can do it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem!  I tried a few different kinds.  They all increased my weight except for Wellbutrin.  And Wellbutrin worked well for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am on zoloft and it increased my weight to 11 kgs in 3.5 months. Started last Oct with 150 mg. i am struggling even with gym and burning out almost 1800 cals/day. may be my food are causing the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i use that too... but i have 2 toddlers under 5. its so difficult to get some time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would suggest you just quit and fight through it.

I was on Prozac for a long time. It made me put on weight and made me tired.

Its actually easier to just quit than spending forever trying to work out how to take them, which AD to switch to.

Best Answer
If you need antidepressants, don't just quit them. You mental health is just as important as your physical health. Work with your psychiatrist to figure out a possibly better medication option with fewer weight gain side effects. Express your concerns. There is lots of trial and error with antidepressants and any medication for mental illness. I speak from personal experience with antidepressants. Hope you figure it out! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@popalopougos wrote:
If you need antidepressants, don't just quit them. You mental health is just as important as your physical health. 

Bravo! An entirely sensible perspective.

If you have hypertension, you'd be a fool to "just quit" taking an ACE inhibitor just because you didn't like the side effects.

That people can suggest an equally foolish course of action for mental illness is potentially dangerous and extremely irresponsible.

My own depression has been made much better by antidepressants, but not in isolation. I've also added regular exercise (good for weight management AND depression), a better diet, a more open approach to discussing my feelings and mindfulness to my self care strategy. All done in discussion with my doctor and mental health nurse. 

I'm not willing to tell you it's been an easy journey, but the fact that I'm still on the journey to (mental & physical) health and enjoying it is the best demonstration I can give of the need to take a slow, steady approach and use the wisdom of your medical team, family and friends. 

Good luck everyone. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

I know this is an older post but I just came accross it. I gained well over 100 pounds on antidepressants. I've since lost 85 of those. First, I had to accept that they drugs were doing more harm than good - which is the case as SSRIs have been shown to be no more effective than placebo and the list of side effects is staggering.  I weaned myself off of them over the course of a year. I figured that would do the trick. I'd lose all this weight that I gained since I wasn't overeating. Didn't happen. Weight loss doesn't work that way. So I started to read and read some more. I believe the antidepressants messed with my endocrine system so badly that eating like I did when I was slim wasn't going to get me back there, so I had to do something else. First I cut out all grain, and that helped. Then I increased my healthy fats. That meant olive oil, avacados, grass fed butter, meat, but here's the thing NO vegetable oils like soybean or corn or canola. Those are inflammatory. I beleive now that depression is caused by inflammation and I am not alone. Finally I quit added sugar. I have never felt better - no more mood disorder, no more focus control issues, great energy levels. I eat a lot of dietary fat and I look and feel great now. I am back into a normal weight range after being obese. It took me a few years. But I think that had I taken out the added sugar a couple of years ago it would have gone a lot faster. By the way my cholesterol levels are great so this concern about saturated fat in the diet was something the experts have been wrong about. Read up on the success of high fat low carb ways of eating. You may be surprised at the kind of well being people are experiencing. Dietary fat is necessary for proper brain functioning. I wonder if the low fat craze that started in the 80s is partially to blame for increasing depression levels. 

Best Answer
0 Votes