Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as water?

I have heard that juice, coffee etc. count.......But is there a list somewhere about what counts as water or do you have to guess based on the number of oxygen and hydrogen atoms?

Moderator Edit: Removed excess punctuation

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Yes and a smart one at that. One cup or 200 mgs of caffeine wont do anything but 500mgs plus will. Overzealous is not the same as normal. Wondering if your dehydrated after a couple cups of coffee-the smell/color of your pee will tell you all you need to know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow.  A claim like that is wrong unless you cite references.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I may be wrong in not citing a reference but that doesn't make me wrong period. It's well known that pee color and odor of pee is a determinate of health. Here's one source: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/10/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/.

You can also find many more sources based on a single google search like this one (https://www.google.com/search?q=pee+is+the+color+of+health&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS759US759&oq=pee+is+the+co...) but Cleveland Clinic has a great user friendly infographic.

Best Answer

I tend to only log pure water toward my water count. I feel like if I were to log sodas etc, it is kind of like cheating, making it as though what I drank was pure water as the app makes it seem. To each their own though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Coffee is a diuretic, so while you can still count the water, you may want to drink more due to this side effect. Some people have a higher tolerance to this effect, however. But as for me, if I drink a ton of coffee I dry out super bad - that's why I tend to not count it as water.

Though I count my green and herbal teas as water intake, but I get plenty of water as well. Anything less than a gallon a day and I start to notice dry skin, dry eyes, headaches and I feel dehydrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Brand new Fitbit user here, and I came here straight away after setting up my fitbit.  I am not fit at all, and this is trying to start.  I dont drink water on its own at all.  Interestigly, I found this source pretty much straight away, which has long list of things that are classed as water, including Tea, coffee etc.  Their whole apporoach is based around hydration, and to me thats the simplest and only thing I really care about, so I think I will be recording it as "water" for hydration purposes, but also take on board the need to record it as a snack for the milk I put into it -  https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages#1 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess that would depend on what you want to consider water on your own. Since the app is more for you to log what you think is healthy. I normally just log water because I only drink water, tea, and coffee. As long as it doesn't have sugar (or any sweetener) or calories I log it as if it were water. I do this because I know that in the end increasing my pure water consumption is essential to my health goals and what is best for my body.  

Best Answer

The caffeine in coffee, tea, soda, does not stop your body from processing the water in the drink. 

What constitutes water is anything that has water in it. 

This includes, soups, stews, vegetables, potatoes, meat, fish, etc. 

Just about anything that you eat or drink contains some water and needs to be accounted for. 

So what is the easiest way to determine your hydration level - the color of your urine. 

For the person who is not on a drug that affects the color of the urine, they want to see a light yellow color. 

The darker the yellow the more dehydrated the person is. 

The inverse, if the urine is clear, the person may be over hydrated, which is more dangerous then being under dehydrated. 

Best Answer

I’ve been a nurse for 40 years and have personally never seen a patient die from over consuming water. I’ve also never known anyone who has seen it happen. I would think it is a very rare occurrence. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it is rare,, with this obsession of following a 70 year old standard, many have seen an increase. I personally know of two people, both I over 65 that ended up in the hospital for not having enough electrolytes because of drinking to much water. The local highschool football team, has had a death because of drinking to much water. 

Never mind the hold your Pee for a Wee where the winner died within hours. 

Disclaimer, I am not a medical personal. As a medical personal you have heard of water intoxication. 

Yes it is rare but I know of 2 hospitalized and 1 death within 10 miles of my location. 

I also know several nurses who do not share your lack of concern. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve been a nurse for 46 years and have never seen water intoxication but I wouldn’t because I’ve always worked in the OR!  I have read of deaths from too much water. I agree the best way to determine hydration is the color of your urine. Medications and vitamins can alter the color so read your medication inserts. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as I know, everything counts including soups - as your food has water in it. Bread, veggies, fruit, sodas, juices and even smoothies. Technically, you can get water from them. I remember reading once somewhere that you don't truly need to drink as much water like, say a gallon a day because you still get some fluids from food. 

The only thing that only pure water helps your kidneys function better. Anything with caffeine does not as it's dehydrating.

As for "water intoxication" - I believe you're talking about hyponatremia? It could be dangerous especially if you're on low-sodium diet, I believe. 

Harder, better, stronger!
Best Answer
Very interesting, and good to know.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dandelium. hyponatremia is the result from drinking to much water, without suplementing with electrolytes. Water intoxication is simply when to much water has been drunk. 

A Google search understands what water intoxication is. This phrase is more common. 

To much water will result in hyponatremia

As for caffeinated drinks, there isn't enough caffeine to affect the bodies ability to process the water content. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

@dandelium. hyponatremia is the result from drinking to much water, without suplementing with electrolytes. Water intoxication is simply when to much water has been drunk. 

A Google search understands what water intoxication is. This phrase is more common. 

To much water will result in hyponatremia

As for caffeinated drinks, there isn't enough caffeine to affect the bodies ability to process the water content. 

Thanks, I've never heard about this condition before and I always thought that these are just two names for one thing. 

Harder, better, stronger!
Best Answer