Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does your FitBit Universe look like?

I started the road to Goal back in 2009 and hit Goal weight in 2014. Aside from a few hiccups, I maintain/get back to goal on my annual Goal anniversary dates. It's a must for me.

MFP was a big part of that along with a FitBit to step track. Ever so often, the two don't play well together in regard to syncing, so I have made the leap solely to FitBit and am finally seeing the genius behind the technology of Calorie Burn, Deficits, and Calories In. With MFP, it was a "behind the curtain" process that I've wrapped my head around with jumping 100% into FitBit.

For my FitBit Universe, I use a Blaze, an Aria Scale, and the FitBit Food logging. On the Blaze, I've turned off my HR monitor as I seek to tweak hitting my intentional ~2 pound a week loss I set my Food Plan at. My HR monitor seems to be quite generous in providing me extra calories...so for now, I'm turning it off.

So what does YOUR FitBit Universe look like and how is it working for you?

Versa 3 | Windows 10 | Pixel 4a 5G | 10K Daily | FitBit Food Tracking
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I started out with Fitbit in 2013 when I got myself a Flex as an early Christmas present. It didn't get used as much as it should and has spent months at a time in a dark drawer, but it still works like a charm if I need it.

I discovered my new best buddy - the Blaze - about a year ago and did a ridiculous amount of research and pondering before deciding to make the investment.

My Blaze and I are celebrating our one year anniversary soon. As someone who never wore a watch because it felt annoying and useless, this is one of the best buys I've ever made.

Unlike you, I find the HR monitor to be amazing. It gives me a lot of insight as to what intensity I'm at during exercise and since I'm otherwise pretty sedentary it doesn't seem to overestimate that time at least.

My favorite things about the Blaze is probably the easy access to all my information on my wrist, the multisport function (so I can do all the things), and the countdown timer. My cooking would be much worse without the last one.

I use a regular scale, which has served me well and I'm not planning on upgrading any time soon, but I'll consider the Aria if it breaks down on me because people seem to really like it.
Trendweight is the recent addition to my family and so far I like the perspective it brings to the table.

I might be a bit unorthodox in the way I track calories and deficit, but I use MFP to everything related to intake and I don't sync with Fitbit (which takes care of calories burned). I have a custom calorie goal that I try to hit every day, even if I don't hit the deficit I'm working at, and I enter my calories by "quick add" into Fitbit at a later time. I also check my Blaze and MFP multiple times a day anyway, so I know to up my intake if necessary.

I'm curious how you like your Aria, @GBO323?

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

My Fitbit universe is firstly my Charge 2 / Charge HR combo so one is always on my wrist.  I have a Flex 2 that I wear as well, and in a couple of weeks will be doing a comparison on the two when I go back to strict logging.  I use the fitbit software to log (when I'm logging) although I've been successful in losing weight just mentally tallying up my daily intake.

At home it also includes a rowing machine, an elliptical, a treadmill, weights and for rest and recovery I have a sauna, hot tub and outside (getting warmer) I have a pool.

Most importantly though I have the boards here.  I can chat with others, and I post my weekly weigh ins to keep myself accountable.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I like to keep things simple!

I've got a Zip. I use it simply to make sure that I'm moving enough!

My strategy to improve my health is very simple to understand, "Eat better; move more".

As we approach my four month Fitbit Anniversary, I've lost 22kg (48.5lb) which is just over 15% of my starting weight. I feel amazing! I'm back to running for the first time in years. But it's not just running; I'm enjoying running and looking forward to my runs rather than seeing them as a necessary evil!

The app based challenges are an important part of my "move more" plan. My friends are so competitive, yet mutually supportive. 

My "eat better" strategy has been to adopt a Mediterranean style diet. I love it! I've cut out meat altogether, but continue to enjoy fish. My cholesterol, glucose, BP and resting HR are all healthy. My weight is still far too high, but I'm winning the battles in what is going to be a long war! I'm only 9kg from being "overweight" rather than "obese"!

I don't count calories, but I do log my food intake... in a diary. With a pen! It makes me think twice about what I stuff in to my mouth.

This community is a wonderful resource. The weekly weigh-in is especially important. I'd hate to gain weight, I'd feel I was letting you guys down!

So in summary, my Zip is helping me to move more, but the real difference that Fitbit has made is the support of fellow users, both here online and my real world friends who push me hard in weekly competition.

The march of technology cannot replace the value of human relationships. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

I like the Aria...it measures Body Fat as well and syncs quickly. Definitely consider it when you need a new scale.

Versa 3 | Windows 10 | Pixel 4a 5G | 10K Daily | FitBit Food Tracking
Best Answer
0 Votes

I started dieting before I got my fitbit - back in January.  For my birthday, if I lost weight I wanted a fitbit flex 2.  I did, and I did get one!  

I use my fitbit to log exercise, to get me motivated to hit my activity hours and just to be aware.  I love that I was struggling to walk a mile in January and now I am hitting 7-8 miles a day.  I run for 2 at a time and try not to run more than once a day.  I'm having a blast.  I've lost 40 this year and can't wait to double my loss!

Since I use DASH for my food plan, I just note what food groups I'm eating - unlimited veg, 2 dairy, 2 fruit, 1 whole grain, up to 2 starchy veg, a moderate amount of protein.  I am low/no sodium.  i went from pre-type 2, Pre-hypertension, and fatty liver to all normal numbers last week.  YAY! 

Best Answer