Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has motivated you to lose weight after having health complications?

Just got a new Fitbit and have found encouragement to start walking again, but finding it extremely difficult this time around after some recent health-related concerns.  I can pull off between 4k and 5k steps a day right now, but I'm struggling to do that and need to find some motivation.  Will provide some context below, but how do you keep the motivation up when you have so many obstacles?

TLDR: new medical issues are making it difficult to lose weight - could use some encouragement!

Background context: I'm currently 305 lbs, 6'1" and 44 years old.  I was an athlete in high school, used to run a lot and lifted weights in college. Fast-forward 25 years and I'm working a desk job for my primary job and teach for a local college 1-2 nights a week, plus making an extra income on a podcast I'm working on (busy lifestyle).  Back in 2005 I developed severe allergies and a condition called cholinergic urticaria - whenever I sweat or my core body temp rises, I break out in hives... it's not impossible to exercise, but it's a deterrent and people stare at me in public as a result.  In January of 2020, I was going to the gym 3-5 days a week and running a 5k (on the treadmill) 3 days a week. In February, 2020, I had the worst flu of my life and my doctor thinks I may have had COVID, but was never tested and haven't been to the gym since - partially due to gym closures but also never quite recovered from the cold/flu I had - chronic breathing problems since. 

1 year later (February, 2021) I was hospitalized after my second COVID vaccine with a case of ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenia), which so far has been acute.  My platelets were down to 2,000 (normal range is minimum 150,000), which required a transfusion and Immunoglobulin/steroid therapy while inpatient. Hematologist said I was #36 in the U.S. to experience this as a result of the vaccine - please don't take this as a political statement. I would still encourage everyone to get vaccinated because the risks for something like this are extremely rare, but they just happened to land on me.  Since then, I've experienced cognitive issues like difficulty multitasking, putting complex thoughts into words, and lapses in memory. I've also experienced shortness of breath with very little activity, am now on blood pressure meds, and my heart rate is insanely high (up to 110 bpm) just from walking from my bedroom to my kitchen in the mornings.  I have appointments I'm (still) waiting for to see a neurologist and a cardiologist, but I'm getting labs monthly and thankfully my platelets have normalized and the issue hasn't been recurring.

Back to weight loss goals: I'm walking between 4k and 5k steps right now - just started doing this, and can barely do that without feeling like passing out.  I've also switched to a ketogenic diet, but my quality of life is miserable and I'm not seeing results just yet.  My dietary changes were initiated about a month ago, but I haven't seen any weight loss - the last time I did this diet, I lost 12 lbs. the first month and I'm a bit discouraged about seeing no changes.  Even though I just started walking, I've never been in such poor shape where, even when I've weighed 300 lbs before, I couldn't walk 2-3 miles at a time.  I'm lucky if I can make a 1-mile total distance right now.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting by posting this here other than maybe there's people who have experienced other health-related issues and have persevered who can offer some advice or encouragement.  This has been the most mentally challenging attempt for fitness or weight loss I've ever had because I'm constantly comparing my abilities pre-illness to what I can do today and any progress feels lightyears away.  I'd love to hear what kind of mindsets have worked for you when faced with some big obstacles.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

My heart goes out to you, @CoffeeAddikshun . And I applaud your efforts. Here are two things that have helped me continue my weight loss during health crises. 

• Lower the goal on your Fitbit app. If 10,000 steps are not reasonably, then make your goal something that is reasonable. And make sure you get your hourly steps. Let the Fitbit celebrations motivating you. Celebrate them! Up the step goal when you can. I have found this to be quite motivating. 
  • Also, since health issues keep my from walking very much, I use a Cubii under table elliptical. I place my Fitbit device in my sock, at my ankle while using it. This skews my heart rate info, but steps are my main goal. Since it is recumbent exercise, I can do it for longer periods of time without getting winded. I keep the pressure light. Moving my legs to different positions (full foot, on my toes, on my heals), I can exercise different muscles. Finally, I use the Cubii for short periods of time … maybe a half hour in the morning while I have coffee and read the news … 15 minutes later in the afternoon … you get the idea. With this method, I can safely add a couple thousand steps/revolutions a day. Ask your doctor. See what s/he thinks. It works for me.

Good luck. Let us know how you progress. I’m cheering for you!

Best Answer

Thanks Carol!  Not sure why I didn't get a notification when you replied, but I just logged in and checked.  These are great tips and I'll have to check out that Cubii.  I'm likely going to reset the goal to around 6,000 steps for a while, but I was just advised to hold off on walking until I can get a cardiac stress test and echocardiogram, so I've got about 4 weeks until those can be accomplished and I can follow up with my doctor.  Still think I could do something recumbent though.

Best Answer

Happy tp hear from you, @CoffeeAddikshun! We have to keep trying. 

Best Answer

@CoffeeAddikshun  Wow!  You have really had a time of it.  I admire your effort and goals but I think you are attempting too much too fast.  I'm just going by my own experience and attitude.  I have been lucky to have excellent health forever and give all the credit to decades of everyday exercise walking at least 5000 steps on a treadmill then more in yard work and shopping etc.  (walking 2.7 mph grade of 7 for 40 minutes) That exercise habit fell apart when I had Shingles (after 3 Shingles shots, which I recommend ), and a fall when I stepped on a wet sanitizer wipe and my foot slipped right out from under me in a store.   .  I'm just trying to build back the exercise habit but I am doing it very gradually and never do more than is entirely comfortable and pleasant.  It is getting easier and easier each day.  I'm only up to  walking 25 minutes so far and only 2.3 mph which would be a stroll for you but I am only 5'1" tall with short legs.   Maybe you could give your self a break on the activity and concentrate more on eating less sugar, flour and fat and more fiber and protein.  You don't even need to follow anyone else's diet.   No sugar or flour would be great and less fat saves the most calories.  Hardly anyone eats enough fiber.  (fruit and vegetables.)  Don't be in too much of a rush.  People who lose weight too fast have really ugly loose skin and the only remedy is painful surgery.  Look at the bright side.  Best wishes.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CoffeeAddikshun With all your health issues it seems like it would be safer if you did any exercising some place with someone nearby rather than out on the street alone.  But I really believe in treadmills anyway because it is cooler and shaded and has a bathroom  and cold drink handy, etc.   I thought of you last night and want to mention that your heart will probably stay slower if you walked on a treadmill HOLDING ON.   Without being technical or debating whether it is a good or bad thing to do...............I took a treadmill stress test once and told the lady we would be there all day unless she jacked it up to a steep grade and started at least at 2.7 mph which was what I walked every day. My heart  stayed slow.  So I said.  OK I'll let go of the frame of the treadmill.  My heart rate went right up.  I always hold on  since I'm always reading.  It might keep your blood pressure lower too?   Consumers report once said, "with exercise equipment, don't pay for something you will not use."  Even if you are bigger, especially if you are never going to run on it,  you might not want to pay for a treadmill that is also a music box with trails to view etc.  But if you can find a simple one, pre-owned you might be able to exercise easier no matter what the weather. Mine is 16 years old.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kudos to you Coffee for your efforts! You're here posting so you care and are motivated, even after the health issues.  My story is similar to yours  - your friends here are pulling for you! My advice would be to start every day as a new day - try not to let setbacks derail you. Keep at it best you can.  For motivation check out "obese to beast" on YouTube - start at the first video this guy posted.  When I was down, depressed, or felt like quitting on my journey,  I'd watch a video for inspiration.  You're not alone in this.

The reward of achieving the goal is soooo worth it, at least in my case. Good luck to you. 

Best Answer