Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the healthiest choice at a Chinese food restaurant?

I am doing a high protein, low carb diet and work right next to a Chinese food restaurant .  It is the easiest place to grab lunch but I worry most of the sauces have alot of sugar.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

You can't go wrong with basic chicken, beef or pork with veggies. Skip the rice and noodles, as they have the most carbs. Anything fried or breaded will have more carbs, too. You can always ask for steamed veggies, which comes without any sauce.

If you eat out, then behave the rest of the day. You don't always know where the hidden sugars are, but do the best you can. I know duck sauce is pretty sweet, as is the sauce for sweet and sour chicken.

Now I want Chinese!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I try to eat high protein/good carbs.  Noodles, white rice, sauce (sugar and sale) are bad carbs, so they are a bad choice.  I have had success in Chinese restaurants which can steam dishes; steamed protein (shrimp, scallops, fish, pork or chicken) with steamed vegetables (mixed veggies, green beans, snow peas, mixed veggies, broccoli, etc... there may be lots of options... but mixed veggies is my go to option).  They will probably offer a sauce on the side.  It probably has sugar or high salt... better to say no, if you can.

Brown rice is a good carb, so if it's offered. go for it.  Stay away from the white rice, it turns right into sugar/fat... I

Best Answer
0 Votes

A big bowl of steamed veggies, with some tofu or chicken (grilled, not fried) and a little brown rice.....washed down with cups of jasmine green tea and water.  Even if you eat quite a lot it won't be high in calories compared to a small portion of fried rice, noodles, .....

Best Answer