Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I gaining weight and my resting heart rate increasing?

I’ve completely changed my lifestyle this past week and have got back into my old habits, where I’m going to the gym every day (doing both weights and cardio) and eating completely healthily, plus I’m intermittent fasting. So does anyone have any idea why I’m gaining weight and my resting heart rate is increasing? Usually when I’m like this the numbers drop off both the scales and my Fitbit heart rate monitor? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Weight gained over the course of one week is usually water gain. Water retention can be caused by a number of factors. A sudden increase in exercise can be one such factor, like a sudden change in your eating habits. If you think the changes you made in terms of exercising and eating were for the better, just carry on and allow enough time to see positive outcomes. It’s all about consistency and long-term adherence.

Same with resting HR: things will eventually settle down, once your body gets used to the changes you’ve introduced.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Your weight is a reflection of calories in vs calories out (known as CICO) 
Everyday you have a TDEE. (total daily energy expenditure). This is the amount of calories you need to ingest to maintain the weight you are currently at without change. If you eat under your TDEE you are going to lose weight. If you eat over your TDEE you are going to gain weight. If you are averaging the same as your TDEE you are going to stay pretty much the same weight. I don't want to presume, but if you are eating under your TDEE and not losing weight than your weight is being held in place artificially. (water weight, bloating, food weight, waste, ect...) something that is keeping your weight in place artificially and is normally a problem with people who weigh to frequently. Weigh yourself weekly, nude, after an 8 hour fasting period. (AKA first thing when waking up and using the restroom). If you are eating under your TDEE you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight then you are not counting your calories correctly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most people, unless under supervision, won't gain or lose a lot of weight in a week. 

16 ounces of water weighs 1 pound. It is actually very easy to lose a pound by simply going to the rest room. Eat a big meal you just gained it back. 

Best Answer

Also judging from your profile you are a woman. Our water retention/weight fluctuates with our hormonal cycle. Keep going at it for 4 weeks and see how your weight is changing then before you apply any more changes. If it is still increasing, it might be time to start logging your meals.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Another thing to watch for is overtraining and exhaustion. Watch your heart rate over time. You may find that you need some more rest days.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia33.htm

Best Answer

yes in the past I have found that has to do with our monthly cycles as women. 

What i am co fused of lately is my resting heart rate is 57 down from in the 60s and I am a tually gaining weight to. If it is that time of the month my heart rate usually climbs to 68 to 70s

Best Answer
0 Votes