Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I lose weight so fast?

I have recently changed my lifestyle on the way I eat, because I moved out from my parents house. I am no longer spoiled with the luxry of eating out every day of the week. Now I will be lucky if I eat out at a restruant once a month. I'm not really starving, although there really is no way for me to tell because I never have hunger cravings (due to medications). I eat roughly 1,000 calories a day on average and I'm a 21 year old male at 5'11.

I started out at 191 pounds on Febuary 13th, and today I just reached 174 pounds. This means on average, I have been losing 5-6 pounds a week so far. I don't have any medical conditions such as diabetes or HIV which are known to cause drastic weight loss. But it appears that I'm the exact opposite of how most people are.

I gain weight, significantly slower than I lose it. Prior to my diet, I may have ate around 3,000-4,000 calories a day; and yet somehow I was only marginally overweight.

My goal weight is 140 pounds, fitbit says I should reach that in July 2016, but I suspect I'll be my goal in a few months. So I need to know what I can do, I'm not so spoiled anymore to afford such fattening goods. What can I do to eat something cheap, full of fattening calories to keep my weight maintained? I spend about $150 on food a month, none of that is fast food and I cook at home.

I honestly don't know if there is something I should be concerned about with losing weight this quickly, as my average activity is 3000 steps a day.
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

3500 kcal is 1 pound of fat but also 4 (or 5) pound of meat.  It could be that you lose lean weight fast and just a little fat.  I switched to more food, this is -500 kcal/ day when my weight dropped too fast.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Deyadissa wrote:
I have recently changed my lifestyle on the way I eat, because I moved out from my parents house. I am no longer spoiled with the luxry of eating out every day of the week. Now I will be lucky if I eat out at a restruant once a month. I'm not really starving, although there really is no way for me to tell because I never have hunger cravings (due to medications). I eat roughly 1,000 calories a day on average and I'm a 21 year old male at 5'11.

I started out at 191 pounds on Febuary 13th, and today I just reached 174 pounds. This means on average, I have been losing 5-6 pounds a week so far. I don't have any medical conditions such as diabetes or HIV which are known to cause drastic weight loss. But it appears that I'm the exact opposite of how most people are.

I gain weight, significantly slower than I lose it. Prior to my diet, I may have ate around 3,000-4,000 calories a day; and yet somehow I was only marginally overweight.

My goal weight is 140 pounds, fitbit says I should reach that in July 2016, but I suspect I'll be my goal in a few months. So I need to know what I can do, I'm not so spoiled anymore to afford such fattening goods. What can I do to eat something cheap, full of fattening calories to keep my weight maintained? I spend about $150 on food a month, none of that is fast food and I cook at home.

I honestly don't know if there is something I should be concerned about with losing weight this quickly, as my average activity is 3000 steps a day.

Yikes - say goodbye to muscle mass you will dearly love to have later, and is MUCH harder to put back on.

Little Debbies, $2 for about 2000 calories. Not filling in the least, and they'll generally make you hungry because of the insulin spike and resulting low blood sugar.

Eat one with your lunch and dinner for an extra 1000 calories. Make the meals mostly protein to offset it.

Ya, you are doing yourself any favors.

And it's not opposite, without the right exercise to hold on to muscle, or enough protein, or enough calories in general - most lose 20% of their weight as LBM, and biggest part of that is muscle mass.

While the 3500 calories per lb is true for fat only, muscle only provides 600 calories when protein is used as energy. So actually easier to lose a lb of muscle than fat.

And your body breaks muscle down every day, if you don't have those big 3 things to tell it to build it back up again - it doesn't, because it's obviously not needed and the calories can be used for more life-sustaining body functions.

And why in the world in your goal weight underweight by a bad amount for your height and age?

Why would you think 140 is good goal weight?

Grief, my race weight in 20's and inch shorter was 155 lbs, and that about 5-7% bodyfat.

Unless you are up for a big money film roll as concentration camp survivor, I'd rethink that goal weight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I am losing weight because I am overweight. My BMI is 26. If I get to 140 my BMI will be 19.5-20 which is still healthy; thats the weight I want to aim for so I can start building muscle. I am incapable of doing so now because I have low T, and I have not started treatment for that.

Basically, the fat I have now is pretty much exactly like a woman (because of Low T) the fat is in the legs, arms and hips and only a small amount on the stomach. This fat has to be lost, because it will remain there until it's burned off completely; even when my hormone levels are fixed.

I found out there was something under my scale though, and my real weight is 178, which makes it 12 pounds in 3 weeks; so I really wasn't losing that much.

I don't think I am losing muscle, as I went from 25% body fat to 19% bodyfat. It's hard to get an accurate measurement off the scales though, sometimes when I weight myself it says im 27% bodyfat which is clearly wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With 19% of fat at 174 pound no need to go to 140,  that would be losing all your fat, that's more for terminal (but healthy) people.  Losing 17 pounds would already set you in the athletic category.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your correct weight is actually 174 pounds.

So you're good there. The "Body Fat" is more what you should look at today.

If your body fat is above 14% on the scale, you need to look at the quality of your foods and the quality of your exercise. If your quality of the foods is TV dinners like, then your fat isn't going to shrink and lean mass isn't going to be building. Eat To Build Lean Muscle in order to lower your fat percentage. Also look at your exercise routine. You need at minimum 3 days of Weight Lifting and minimum of 3 days of Cardio every week. For me, I do 7 and 7. Weights in the AM and a night workout trainer in the PM to keep the focus tight. Like pick an XBOX One Fitness program for the PM, and hit the gym in the AM for lifting weights.

XBOX One Fitness Program has a dozen programs available from Jillian Michaels to Insanity Cardio to P90X.

BMI_Chart.png

Best Answer
0 Votes