Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we initially resist logging our eating?

I'm curious what others think about this:  I notice that a lot of people who express frustration at not being able to lose weight seem weirdly reluctant to log their food intake.  Speaking for myself, 6 months ago, I tried to increase my activity level and tweak my eating without logging my food but got nowhere and had to "throw in the towel".  Once I started logging, the weight started coming off.

And my excuses were pretty silly:  TIME - I'm willing to spend hours working out and not losing weight but I can't take the few minutes to log my food which I know will result in weight loss.  PERFECTION - there are errors involved in measuring calories eaten so I won't do it at all.  HELPLESSNESS - The process of logging food is too difficult for me even though I am a semi-literate adult who functions in the world.  KNOW IT ALL - I just know I have a calorie deficit even though I haven't lost weight for months.

Why the weird resistance?  My hypothesis is that we subconsciously know that logging our food will reveal that we eat more calories than we think, and just don't want to face it -- same as how we don't want to step on the scales after a day of binge-eating.   What do you guys think?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

Reducing calorie intake means fasting yourself and fighting the urge to eat. That takes a lot of discipline.

Using the FitBit dashboard to log food these past 2 weeks is a first for me. I am hopeful I can keep this up long-term and get the desired results. Most likely I will refine my food logging just as I have with exercise.

People make excuses as you've stated not to log their food and count their calories. However, there are those who are just beginners, intermediates and or experts at food logging.

I step on the scale daily whether the results are good or bad. It's the weekly weigh in that really counts and fluctuations during the week will occur.

Best Answer

Full on logging - it's a chore like anything else.

I usually only log like that when my scale is stuck.

What I do do is check off food groups.  I have 2-3 dairy, 2-3 carb (1 bread and one starchy veg), 2-3 fruit, deck of card size protein 3xs a day, unlimited free veg (carrots, tomatoes, pretty much anything other than potatoes and hard squash, 1/2 c beans, 3 fats.  I just tick off the boxes in my head, It is super easy.  No messing with worrying about calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@exhile wrote:

Reducing calorie intake means fasting yourself and fighting the urge to eat. That takes a lot of discipline.

May I suggest a gentler path to consider?  

I subscribe to the philosophy of "no pain, no pain".  As fallible humans, we have a very limited amount of self-discipline that we can exert on a daily basis, and even less that we can sustain long term.  Any strategy that relies on people having to exert and sustain self-discipline is destined to fail.  

My opinion:  the reason why we have a worldwide obesity epidemic is that throughout human history, we have eaten to satiety, and due to some recent changes, eating to satiety now results in a positive energy balance for many of us.

My recommendation is that, rather than suggesting that literally billions of people need to exert self-discipline and fast themselves (which, sorry to be fatalistic, is NEVER going to happen) we talk about how to reduce our appetites so that we can eat to satiety and no longer have a positive energy balance.

I liken this to walking on the beach -- you can wear yourself out by walking through the deep dry sand.  Or you can move closer to the water and walk on firmer ground.  That decision takes no self-discipline or extra work but results in a much easier walk.  That is how I think we need to approach weight control.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"no pain, no pain"? or did you mean, "no pain, no gain"?

I think actors & models such as Tyrese Gibson & Hugh Jackman exert a lot of self-discipline because they are being paid a vast amount of money to showcase male physique on camera. Also, it's not just anyone that can pull off a reduction in calorie intake but those who are motivated to. But also with the help of trainers and nutritionists.

Obesity is only occurring in North America and Western countries. There is no obesity epidemic in Africa, the Middle East or East Asia. Food availability & scarcity between wealthy and poor nations determine if the general population of those countries will be either be fat or skinny.

As @Dominque stated somewhere along the lines of calorie input vs. calorie output will determine if a person is fit or overweight. And like you said, "as long as one doesn't have a positive energy balance", people will maintain or lose weight.

Your walking on the beach analogy makes sense. If it can be applied to weight loss than go for it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been logging everything I eat for a couple of months so far. Sometimes I missed entry although I kept it in mind ( if for example, I grabbed an apple or something light etc. In general, I have quite a good diary. Moreover, everything I cook I add as a recipe. I think I pushed it a little bit to extreme. Each recipe has a codename including the date that it has been made. Remaking same food requires me to update the recipe codename. Then I make labels that I stick to food containers so I know what it is when it was made and what it contains. Then it's incredibly easy to log food. It may sound like a lot of work but in fact, with MFP it's really quick. Start new recipe, scan product, weight and add to the recipe. If I buy a stock of food to freeze ( meat, some veggies etc. ) I label them with barcode number so it makes easy to identify them later ( I get rid of the original packaging ). It just became my habit, it's part of the process of preparing my food and I feel a bit lost if I don't do it. One thing I changed though. Before being on the weight loss diet, I assumed how much calories a portion should have and I shaped amount of ingredients. Now I just cook. Do I want more cheese? Sure, why not. Do I want to add more of something else? Why not. I just don't know what's gonna be the end result in terms of energetic value ( although I have rough estimates ). Then I match 1g of my food to 1 serving in MFP.  If I want more pasta for spaghetti sauce I just weight it and log it converting grams to servings and done. It's so easy and quick ( both when cooking and eating ), that I do it automatically.

However, now I'm considering to stop logging to see if I can actually eat, be well and not bother myself with logging. Be able to judge and evaluate my food just by eye, not by scale and scanner. Not because logging takes time but because I don't want everything to be about food. I found out that it actually makes me constantly thinking about food ( not necessary what I'm gonna eat, but also what I'm gonna cook ) 🙂

Best Answer

I resisted because it made it feel like my diet was controlling my life, but fitbit made it so easy, it was just kind of like *shrug* why not?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I look at food logging as the guardrails to keep me in the safe zone. If I know what I ate, then I know what to expect when I step on the scale. I am not losing weight, I am in maintenance and I log every meal Sunday through Thursday. I need to know that I am not exceeding what I need to maintain considering Friday and Saturday are stay within the rules, but bend- a- few days.

I think people resist because it is a reality check that the food we love, the food that makes us happy is killing us. If there is no record of what I ate and what I drank.. then it didn't really happen. Because once I see that I drank 1000 calories in soda.. that is too much reality.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@exhile -- actually I meant no pain, no pain, meaning I'm not into hard work or self-deprivation.  My opinion is that with weight loss, you can work hard or you can work smart.  Limiting the amount you eat in spite of hunger is working hard.  Reducing your appetite so that it's easy to eat less is working smart.  That's what I was trying to illustrate with the beach walk analogy -- picking the easy or difficult path is just a choice.

I believe that the obesity epidemic is more about food composition than availability.  My opinion is that highly processed foods that spike blood sugar and insulin are at the core of the problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

@exhile -- actually I meant no pain, no pain, meaning I'm not into hard work or self-deprivation.  My opinion is that with weight loss, you can work hard or you can work smart.  Limiting the amount you eat in spite of hunger is working hard.  Reducing your appetite so that it's easy to eat less is working smart.  That's what I was trying to illustrate with the beach walk analogy -- picking the easy or difficult path is just a choice.

I believe that the obesity epidemic is more about food composition than availability.  My opinion is that highly processed foods that spike blood sugar and insulin are at the core of the problem. 

With weight loss, I don't think you can work hard or work smart. Really, all one has to do is burn more calories than calories taken in (whether it be exercise or calorie restriction). That's good that you've reduced your appetite and I agree that eating less does result in weight loss.

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here not mentioning treacherous 0kcal and "no fat" foods. Maybe it's a bit of off-topic, but I conducted a small experiment and diverted myself to drink so-called diet drinks, which means no-sugar versions. Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Dr Pepper - any of them. It made me very quickly to crave for sugar and feeling hungry bordered on a torture. I was able to drink 2l bottle during a day and after few days cravings disturbed my sleep. I was literally getting awaken in the middle of the night just to grab a sip of diet soda. True, I wouldn't probably get fat from drinking those, but if not lots of self-control and mentioned above - logging, counting and awareness what was going on, I would easily go back to overeating. Because I stopped myself from overeating and satisfying cravings for sugar, I started to feel irritable and anxious. We are talking about just 2 weeks of drinking diet soda. No insulin spikes or blood sugar levels by it on its own, but I found those drinks to be something that pushes you off the ledge pretending that it actually tries to stop you from the fall. I did the experiment after a long debate with few people whether diet drinks help or damage. After 2 days of "withdrawal", the cravings lessen. 4 days - they went back to normal ( pretty much came to the stop ). I do know one thing - no sugar doesn't mean necessarily good. It may be a topic for another discussion. So logging is a must in case if one uses anything from artificial sweeteners to diet drinks. One may not overeat no-calorie foods, but they will be pushing gradually towards overeating other foods and logging may actually prevent that. Seeing that you ate 2000kcal and still feeling hungry, can't stop craving etc. - it's a signal something is not right.

Other things about obesity - I think nowadays it's a well-known fact. The problem is that food is attacking us from each side. You see tasty looking food advertised on the TV, bus stops, magazines - literally everywhere. We have plenty of popular cooking shows on the TV. Processed food promises how good it is, looks tasty and what's worse - most of it is actually tasting amazing. To resist it is everybody's everyday battle. As human beings, we didn't evolve yet to the situation that famine is not a problem anymore and our bodies still work "old ways" but times changed. Compulsive overeating of easily accessible and highly addictive food-like products is pretty much number one reason why the obesity became an epidemy of the 21st century. Again, mentioned logging will make you think twice before you eat something that cannot be logged as you have no data for it. Once I started logging my food intake then even if I go out, I make sure the restaurant or pub provide dietary information. And even though there is this tiny voice at the back of my head telling "don't trust them", so rather than logging eating 1 portion, a will eat half and log 1.5. The downside is that it takes away lots of pleasure from eating but I can sacrifice pleasure if what I'm gonna get is a good health.

Best Answer

Agreeing with @SunsetRunner on the problems with "diet" foods and artificial sweeteners.  I used to binge drink diet sodas but felt like it was a harmless vice.  I now realize they spiked my cravings for sweets and food.  I think studies have shown they also stimulate insulin production.

One of the benefits of reduced appetite is that food advertising and temptation is so much less alluring.  A few months ago, I struggled to resist eating crap, but now it's no longer a problem even though I am still surrounded by it.  As to the pleasure of eating, flavors seem more intense to me now but I appreciate not having to gorge myself to feel satiated.

Best Answer

It isn't just not alluring, it can be absolutely stomach turning.  I got the grocery ads and a couple fast food ones are in there too.  Just looking makes me feel icky.  I showed my daughter the buy 1 combo meal, get a second burger free and told her, 'at one time, that was my lunch, fries, a diet soda, and not one but 2 burgers.'  What part of that was a good choice?  The diet coke?  Eating until I felt sick?  Even driving by a burger place with the windows open makes me feel ill.  That smell of old rancid fat.  

Eat healthy long enough, and there is nothing positive about empty calories or low calorie drinks.  If I want something sweet I'll have fruit.  On occasion honey, maple syrup and even sugar.  But at least I know exactly what I'm having.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It takes time & it's tedious.  Even with my scale in my kitchen, it's annoying to have to write it all down then transfer it all to the app.  I eat a lot of homemade food so that makes it take even longer to track.  The other reason, I agree, is totally about not necessarily wanting to know many calories I'm eating or feeling like once I start tracking I also have to start restricting calories right away. 

What worked for me in the end was to say just track it - don't put myself on a diet - just track everything I eat to see how much I eat.  And, once I figured out how much I eat, switch out foods so I can get the same number of calories and feel full with healthier choices.  Then, reduce my calories a bit to see what happens.  Even now - a year and a half after I started tracking calories - I still don't "diet".  I get in my 10,000 steps in at least 5 days a week and I eat around 2,500 calories per day.  I've lost 65 pounds but I'm not on a "diet"...I just know how much a portion size is (my processed carbs have gone WAY down since I realized how many calories they have in them) and I don't bother to weigh fruits & veggies because they're "free" foods for me.  I still hate tracking my food - even though I tell my Amazon Echo to put it on my to do list while I'm weighing it & transfer it whenever I get around to it - but it makes me hold myself accountable.  

As for the tedium of tracking - I use supertracker to figure out the calories for the homemade foods I eat the most & add those to my fitbit so I can just click "puris" and it gives me the totals.  I also use the meals feature for things I eat a lot like tacos - so I only have to weigh the higher calorie ingredients like ground beef and cheese...and the rest is just approx like 1 tomato.  It turns a healthy meal I would otherwise avoid due to how long it takes to track, into something relatively simple.  Being able to dictate to my Echo also helps because it does the writing down for me so I'm not stopping to do it...and when I sit down to eat, I just look at my list to see how many ounces of each food to track.

Best Answer

@rachiti I thought like that in the beginning but then I just got used to tracking. Homemade food is actually easiest to track and least tedious if you use the right tools. First of all, I don't use Fitbit food logging. It's just too simple, lacks features and using it would be indeed a chore. I use MyFitnessPal to do so as it comes with lot more advanced food tracking features - after all, it's made for this particular purpose. For homemade food, I use "recipes" and "meals" options. I don't write down anything, I log as I cook. All you need is the Internet. One problem I found, however, is dirty hands while cooking. It makes harder to use mobile phone screen, but not impossible. To speed up logging I make sure food I buy has barcodes. Scanning is fast, putting a weight of ingredient too. New food is always added as a recipe so I can very easy repeat that. One of the most often cooked meals is pesto with almonds linguine. Every time I recook it I just go through the list of ingredients from the recipe. My wife yesterday asked me to cook more, so all I needed to do was to go to the edit mode and put different numbers for each ingredient. Additionally, I added broccoli to the recipe. Such updated recipe is resaved under the new name. When it's cooked I place it in the container and take a total weight which is also placed on the label sticker and done. Writing label takes a while ( I'm thinking to actually start printing them 😄 ) as I provide information like calories per 100g, total weight and info about carbs, fats and proteins per 100g. In MFP recipes are limited to "servings" which is a bit of bummer. My trick here is to make 1 serving to be 1 gram of food. Then, when putting it on my plate, I weight it and use weight as a number of servings. Cannot be done quicker. Sometimes, when I want to defer logging or modifying recipe/meal then I put meal or ingredient on the scale and take a picture. It's quicker than writing it down. Most of logging and adjustments in the app can be done when you're waiting. Cooking in major part is about waiting till something is actually cooked. It may sound like tedious but same as everything, once mastered, it's quick and intuitive. Meals which are 'one-time' shots I add directly by each ingredient - scan, put weight and done.

Maybe it's going to be useful for others, so I have attached pictures showing how it works for me.

Homemade foods are easiest to log once you make it your habit, improve the skill of doing so and go with the right tools for the job 😉 Trust me on that 🙂 I wished MFP had an option to make labels because writing labels is the biggest chore for me in the whole process.

Here are few examples from my own logging "system". Food that I'm going to cook more often is added as a recipe. MFP allows altering existing recipes ( change name, amounts, replace ingredients etc. 😞

My wife's favourite :)

The name contains codename ( easy to search later ), the date when it's cooked and total weight. Weight is same as servings ( MFP lacking the feature to use a different measurement than serving on recipes requires such workaround ).

Even simple things like cooked pasta become a recipe. Then it's very easy to log each serving and I can decide how much I'm going to eat on the go without sticking to fixed size portions.

Just pasta, during editing the recipe, weight of uncooked pasta not corrected yet

Notice that number of calories is actually very low. This is because MFP shows calories per servings and each serving is 1gram. That's why when labelling I set a number of servings to 100g to place more meaningful number on the sticker.

My list of recipes looks as shown below. I follow a certain pattern which speeds up logging. Also remaking the same recipe always makes me update the old one ( changing name, amounts if necessary etc. ). That's why updating the date is important - I know that this is most recent one, although I try not to keep old ones in the database as it may become confusing in later time.

List of recipes

When it comes to logging then I just weight it and enter measured weight as a number of servings and done. Any extra stuff I add on the go ( on the picture below you can easily say which entries are the recipes due to the naming convention 😞

Logged as lunch

I also use "meals" from time to time ( mostly for logging breakfast ). Unfortunately, meals lack "servings" feature and each meal added to the database automatically becomes 1 serving. It makes much harder to log. However, I like a picture feature ( which is not working for recipes ) as after time you may still recall what the food was like:

Meals support pictures

If I'm not too lazy I turn the recipe into a meal by creating a new meal and adding food from the recipe as an ingredient. Then make a picture. It's a workaround and I do that very rare ( unless food looks delicious 😄 I think everyone from time feels proud of what one cooked ).

Weighing the meal is the last thing to do. Sometimes it's deferred so as I mentioned above - I take a picture, so won't forget what the weight was. The weight becomes a number of servings. Also, it's important for me to add the weight next to the name ( there's a valid reason for that, also speeding up logging later ).

Deferred weighing

That's pretty much it. It may look like lot's of work but believe me - it's not. Also using "recipes" and "meals" may help to decide what's for a dinner 🙂 Just go through your recipes and pick something you already made. Here's where pictures come handy as sometimes just by looking at the picture you know that this is what you want to make for a dinner tonight 🙂

I'm hoping this semi-tutorial shows that logging isn't really so tedious, especially if you log homemade meals 🙂 I realize I took it to extreme ( like labeling etc. ) but if I have time to do more than just logging then imagine, that actual logging is just a fraction of time I spend on cooking and eating 🙂

Best Answer

Just to show how what I wrote works in practice I'm on my lunch. Since I moved houses I can have my lunch at home as it takes me few minutes to get home from my office. I have some remaining fusilli pasta cooked and mentioned pesto with almonds linguine ( just sauce, pasta is separated so I can eat it with anything, I chose fusilli as it's been a while since I cooked it ). So here's literally 3 minutes of preparation ( pictures were taken during preparation, weighing and logging ). I added extra wholemeal toasted flatbread.

lunch.jpg 

Staying organized makes it a lot easier and as I said - pretty much automatic. It took me longer to clean up than to log my lunch 😉 Hopefully, this will be encouraging for those who have a problem with logging what they eat.

I forgot to add one more tip. One problem I had was storing food like meat when freezing. Freezing means that everything will stick together and may be hard to separate later. So how do I know what is what when I pull it out of the freezer? Here's an example:

salmon.jpg

When portioning I weigh a portion and make a label. An important part of the label is a number below which is an actual barcode. This way I can throw away original packaging and quickly use MFP when logging the food days or weeks later. MFP will bring back what product originally I have bought just by typing the number instead of scanning the barcode ( which will be long gone with original packaging ). It also speeds up logging the homemade food 🙂

Best Answer
That sounds like a great lifestyle to work towards, but I'm looking for
small, simple, incremental changes I can easily make. perhaps I'll get
there one day, but I don't really have time to set all that up.I use the
fitbit logger to gain a little more awareness of what I'm eating. I know
it's not a complete answer to all my nutrition needs , but it's a pretty
good start. My next step will probably be to shift in a little more protein
and a little less carbs for my diet, and also , try and go for a forth day
working out each week.
Best Answer
0 Votes

For me it was the daunting task of the logging itself. I do not weigh or measure when I make food. I am a professional cook so I work more off of ratios then amounts. Add to that, that I will just throw things together from my refrigerator and logging all that is a decent sized task. The good news is that I have started to log my meals and the way I got into it was pretty simple. I just went a couple of weeks where I ate nothing but nutritional shake meal replacements. I researched and found ones that gave me everything I needed to be healthy. It was so easy to log with myfitnesspal by scanning a barcode. Obviously I can't go my entire life just off of meal shakes but what it did was made logging my meal an easy part of my daily routine. The other added benefit that I have found is that I eat much simpler now because I think about the task of logging before I start cooking. For me, I just needed a way to make it a part of my eating routine and once that was established, I was able to get more and more advanced with it. Now I enjoy the process. I hope that helps someone out there.

Best Answer

I think the primary reason is that it's a pain in the ass. Especially recipe-based ones or foods that aren't in the database at all (sorry UK fit-bitters). There are multiple entries for some foods that contain differing nutritional information from each other and from the packaging.

The second reason one might no food log is that it's not totally accurate. How many calories are there in that banana you bought? Unless one is nuts about weighing all the food, it's going to be a "guestimate". Portion size varies.

Even with logging, there's a tendency to forget to report some foods or under-reporting in general to avoid facing a real caloric deficit.

The third reason, and the one that I am looking at, is a desire to be able to eat intuitively without having to track everything. 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@Kevinjb78 I guess the skill of being professional chef makes it a lot easier to estimate. This is something that I want to learn. I don't mean here being a professional cook but estimating by eye and hand 🙂 My problem is that I think I got addicted to "my way" and it doesn't seem to really take me a lot of time and effort but on the other hand it's a bit of obsession which stops me from eating out or even from eating what my wife cooks if it hasn't been properly measured. And even I'm gonna call it slightly crazy 😉

@WavyDavey I tried to use MFP outside the UK and I know what you mean. UK database is just huge. It's quite hard to find a product in the UK that doesn't exist in MFP database including even meals served by pubs and restaurants. I tried to use barcode scanner in my home country and 1 of 3 products wasn't in the database at all. Learning to measure by hand and eye is something I'd like to achieve at some point but now I feel almost like sick if it comes to eat "unmeasured" food 😄 Ok, it's not that bad but despite I'm quite happy with the way I log my food, I know that in the long run, it's not the way. Also, all the calories are estimates. I mean here the calories we eat and those we spend and for me it's a mere guide. Numbers help me mostly not to overeat and make sure I won't throw to my food barely visible caloric bomb ( like for example sea of olive oil on the salad etc. ). Especially that there are ingredients which we never expected to be very big sources of calories. But in general, I agree. Remembering that numbers are mere hints is important and next to the estimating calories, we need to eat everything in reasonable moderation rather than stick to raw numbers.

Best Answer