Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we initially resist logging our eating?

I'm curious what others think about this:  I notice that a lot of people who express frustration at not being able to lose weight seem weirdly reluctant to log their food intake.  Speaking for myself, 6 months ago, I tried to increase my activity level and tweak my eating without logging my food but got nowhere and had to "throw in the towel".  Once I started logging, the weight started coming off.

And my excuses were pretty silly:  TIME - I'm willing to spend hours working out and not losing weight but I can't take the few minutes to log my food which I know will result in weight loss.  PERFECTION - there are errors involved in measuring calories eaten so I won't do it at all.  HELPLESSNESS - The process of logging food is too difficult for me even though I am a semi-literate adult who functions in the world.  KNOW IT ALL - I just know I have a calorie deficit even though I haven't lost weight for months.

Why the weird resistance?  My hypothesis is that we subconsciously know that logging our food will reveal that we eat more calories than we think, and just don't want to face it -- same as how we don't want to step on the scales after a day of binge-eating.   What do you guys think?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

@Daves_Not_Here there are smart scales like this one but I would like to go step further and integrate one with a barcode scanner ( best if laser scanner builtin ) and the ability to store and saving whole recipes that are transferable to one of the third-party apps. I'm tempted to create one myself as my side-project but the only food database that actually works well in the UK is MFP database ( sorry Fitbit but your barcode scanner is useless in the UK 😞 ). The MFP protocol is closed and I would have to sign up as a developer ( not sure if there are any fees and limitations as for a hobby project ).

@2ctsCyn as I mentioned above, I don't use Fitbit food database because last time I tried the UK one was useless ( almost nothing could be found via scanner ). I mostly rely on the barcodes and it's really very rare MFP doesn't find a product. However, I buy from local farmers certain ingredients so need to use either generic entries or I simply pick the same product from one of the supermarkets ( really, there is no difference between sweet potato from the local farmer, from Tesco or from Sainsbury's - it's the same vegetable.

My problem is that there is no software that I would find satisfying in terms of efficient logging. My "dream software" should have features of several different applications plus other features which I find useful myself ( like home ingredients inventory ). Moreover, each app I used doesn't support the good and readable user interface. I would love to be able to select certain entries and put them into one "folder". Instead of seeing this:

lasagna.jpeg

I would like to see lasagna ragu, bechamel sauce, lasagna sheets (3pcs) and all of it enclosed in one "folder" called "lasagna". Otherwise, you need lots of imagination to figure out what I had for lunch 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes