Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Keto work for everybody?

My opinion is "No".  And I say that as someone who continues to get excellent results with Keto in terms of weight loss, energy, athletic performance, disease reversal, and overall quality of life - for me, it has lived up to its hype.

My idea for this thread came from my response to @ivanma in another thread.  I never recommend Keto to others because it's so unorthodox and involves a lengthy period of adaptation.  However, a number of people in my life have been influenced to try Keto and I've become kind of a coach or collaborator with them.

And what I've found is that it works for some and not for others.  Here are my observations:

• Men seem to respond better than women.  While it was a very enthusiastic woman who convinced me to try Keto and I notice there are plenty of women on the Keto-specific forums, all of the people in my small world who have tried it and failed have been women. 
  • People with diabetes, metabolic syndrome and beer bellies seem to respond well

Your experiences?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I am not sure. It seems to work for me and I am a woman.  Though I dropped over 35lbs when I was 215lbs 5 months ago, to begin with. I that's just changing up my lifestyle back then. I recently started Keto about a month ago or so.

I believe I am losing more weight on Keto at a faster rate. I am able to fit in some dresses that I made a goal to fit in (I am down to size Larges-Mediums). I am inconsistent in weighing myself though ( I don't own a scale). I just feel tons better than I did.

I think I am losing even more weight when I am pairing up Keto with exercise (1 hour of high-intensity Cardio). I also think I have grown a bit taller (5.7" then, now 5.8"). Again I gotta check a scale.

Best Answer

Hey @AoiSpationaut - sounds like you are getting great results -- very interesting to hear from both a woman and a young person.  It sounds like we had a similar path to Keto -- I initially started of losing weight eating low-carb for about 4-6 months, and then took it further into ketosis.

I saw in a previous post you are drinking Atkins shakes.  I've gotten completely away from processed foods like that in favor of whole foods, but I don't know if that is feasible for you in your dorm.

I see in your profile you are a student -- is Keto helping with your mental focus and studying?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, whole foods aren't currently feasible at this time. Though I usually eat some cheese and pepperoni along with the Atkins shakes(its quick and convenient).

As for mental focus, I think keto kinda helps. It could be a mix of me using nootropics and exercise. I do notice that I am feeling less irratable when faced with long projects.

Best Answer

Anything will work for anybody so long as a sustained caloric deficit is present.  You can achieve that splitting your macros any way you wish but it's not going to "work" unless you do that.  Keto is not a magic weight loss solution; I could easily gain weight on keto macros the same way I can lose weight on a higher carb diet.  I think a better question would be does what you're doing allow you to sustain an energy deficit for the time required for you to get to goal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Keto is not a magic weight loss solution" - actually it is magic.  Tell people you eat Keto and their heads magically explode.

"I think a better question would be ..."  No, a better question would be - why do we park in a driveway, but we drive on a parkway?

Best Answer
0 Votes