Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working out like crazy, gained weight?! why??

ANSWERED

so last week I went on a bit of a binge for the week and gained 4 pounds!!!! I didn't even know how this was possible as I didn't eat THAT much food and I was still doing my daily exercise of dog walking and on average 15k steps a day. 

Anyway, I obviously wanted to get my weight back down so this week I've been going crazy at the gym. In the gym alone I burn 1000 calories, I then do 3 - 5 hour long dog walks a day (I'm a dog walker) and eat around 1400 calories a day. 

My weight went down from 9st 11lb to 9st 8lb in the first 3 days and I was happy and thought I should be back to 9st 7 by the next couple of days.. however now I'm 9st 9lbs. I know weight fluctuates but I'm doing SO MUCH how is it even possible to be gaining weight? I'm not doing strength training so not building muscle and my legs are already pretty muscly anyway.. 

so can anyone help because it's really discouraging, I've been trying so hard for this and it isn't working!

Thanks 

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

Sorry for the concern, never saw clearly this was only for 5 days, only the comment you wanted to make up for bad week of eating, which as someone else pointed out, was a potential flag regarding the normal eating levels prior to it.

But now you clarified what you meant by binge eating - which is usually term used by those that totally lost control for a day and couldn't stop, usually because normal diet level was so restrictive and body was against them too.

So good job getting those glycogen stores with attached water back to prior depleted level and some fat gone. Though I doubt you gained much fat from the food eaten then, that's not bad at all.

I once lost 1.6 lbs of LBM over the course of 6 weeks, because I thought I was doing the math right and being careful, but several weeks of rain on wrong nights and me doing Spin class intense several nights in a row, cost me some good fat, but likely muscle mass too. And I knew exactly what to watch out for but missed it anyway.

So just concerned, read enough on forums, and you'll quickly notice not that many understand how things work to do it smart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

You need a certain amount of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Your body needs fuel to "run" efficiently, so to speak. For me personally, I am not nearly as concerned about a number on a scale as I am about how I feel about myself and how my clothing fits me. 

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Best Answer
I agree - the number on the scale does not bother me
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heybales wrote:

@rowan wrote:

I'm lost with all these numbers so I'll just tell you what my fitbit said for yesterday at the end of the day (when i said i wouldn't be able to eat 3000 calories in the day, I meant that my calories left was 1500 and I had already eaten 1500, not that i had 3000 calories left..) okay so.. 

Calories burnt: 3258

steps: 24,105

miles:10.08

active minutes:120 

calories eaten: 1,307

calories left: 1,451

I don't really get why it matters anymore as all I wanted was a possible solution to why I would have gained 1 pound, I know i'm dieting well and exercising so that should logically equal weightloss, since everyone has said water weight then I'm guessing that's what it is!

Oh, I knew what you meant exactly, the only question was if you had a deficit weight loss plan so that Fitbit was giving you less to eat than you burned.

So you have asked Fitbit to put a 500 cal deficit in from what you burn to what you eat.

Burned 3258.

Ate 1307, left to eat 1451 = 2758

3258-2758 = 500 deficit

If you met goal eating level, you'd lose 1 lb weekly. And that may indeed be reasonable for the amount you have to lose, like if 10 - 25 lbs.

But you appear to think bigger is better, and an almost 2000 calorie deficit is better. (1451 + 500 = 1951)

Sorry to inform you - you are NOT dieting well - at all.

If you do that on a regular basis, missing your eating goal by about 1500 calories, and the 500 Fitbit already made your eating less than you burn - then you should be losing 4 lbs weely.

I'm going to bet you are are no where near 4 lbs weekly. I'll bet not even 2 lbs weekly.

And even if you've been close, did you know average dieter loses 20% muscle mass in their weight loss attempt, unless they do 3 specific things? And reasonable deficit and enough protein isn't being met, Fitbit's recommendation isn't high enough. Ony thing left is workouts lifting?

Why?

You have changed the equation. You have probably screwed up Fitbit's estimate of what you burn, which for a healthy body is going to be within 10% easy.

Because you have slowed your metabolism down if this has been a regular occurence. No wonder you binged ate - your body was screaming out for some relief.

You might think bigger deficit is better, when it's not.

If you truly think bigger is better - why don't you stop eating and just lose the weight?

Whatever reasons you think of, there are likely more you don't know about that are happening anyway, even though a tad slower.

Here's what you are doing to yourself if this has been a regular way of doing things for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

I know it started out as to why you gained some weight from exercise - but your claim of control and knowing it all and doing it right just raises red flags with those of us that have seen that all too many times from ones that really don't know, but they sure believe they do.

Take it for what's it's worth. Look me up in several months if you have issues later.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the link on the HBO Documentary, The Quest to Understand the Biology of Weight Loss (HBO: The Weight of the Nation).  I retired three years ago and gradually witnessed my small frame expand out of control.  I got my fitbit about a week ago and I am impressed with the concept of tying calories out vs. in into one database and I was surprised at how few calories I was burning each day.  Weight maintenance is not new to me; I have always been an active participant in healthy living.  Switching from go, go, go to little or no routine has made me realize how retirement can wreak havoc on the metabolism if you let it.  The documentary is an excellent explanation of how our bodies react and counter-react to lifestyle changes.  I have bookmarked the entire series and plan to continue my research.  Your comment is concise and well written, bravo!

“A person who resolves to begin regular morning exercises usually does so not because he already has physical fitness but in order to get something he does not have. Once one has something he can be anxious to keep it; previous to that, he is anxious to get it.”
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Austintatious wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the link on the HBO Documentary, The Quest to Understand the Biology of Weight Loss (HBO: The Weight of the Nation).  I retired three years ago and gradually witnessed my small frame expand out of control.  I got my fitbit about a week ago and I am impressed with the concept of tying calories out vs. in into one database and I was surprised at how few calories I was burning each day.  Weight maintenance is not new to me; I have always been an active participant in healthy living.  Switching from go, go, go to little or no routine has made me realize how retirement can wreak havoc on the metabolism if you let it.  The documentary is an excellent explanation of how our bodies react and counter-react to lifestyle changes.  I have bookmarked the entire series and plan to continue my research.  Your comment is concise and well written, bravo!

Well, and to counter-balance their negative view in there that it's irreversable and you'll always need to eat 20-25% below what could have been possible at goal weight, some other recent studies have shown it can be reversed with time. Sadly one said it took a year, but a more recent study looked even better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-l...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

sometimes you gain mussle which weighs more but loooks much better than fat... remember what ever you do to get it off you will have to continue to keep it of... so dont start doing anything you do plan to keep doing.

Best Answer

Well I was going to say you've probably slowed your metabolism but you said you've only been doing this for a few days.

The only real answer as to why you wouldn't lose the amount of weight that's estimated is because our bodies aren't 100% predictable machines.. the fitbit basal metabolic rates are purely estimation and also it can overestimate how many calories you burned walking too sometimes. Then it's up to your body, influenced by your individual nutrition, genetics, stress levels, fitness etc etc.. as to how your body will catabolize fat, carbs, protein etc for energy, and at what rate.. will define how much weight you lose in a short period when starving yourself and will define how much lean mass you lose and how much actual fat. Which that is pretty much starvation to burn that much and keep eating 1400

Best Answer
Well everyone gained a little over Christmas😀

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes