Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your weight is 70% determined by your genetics.

Weight is just 1 metric in a healthy body. Don't stress over it. If you are hungry, eat. If you think you just want to eat, check your in/out and maybe don't eat a snack before the next meal, or eat a smaller snack.

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/12/you_should_never_diet_again_the_science_and_genetics_of_weight_loss/

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

personally, i believe genetics is a set of traits you can turn on or off depending on the stimulus you present it. say your weight is 70% determined by your genetics, and both of your parents are obese... somewhere in your gene line is an uncle or cousin who is fit and athletic, whose gene pool is also present in your blood.

now, you can turn that gene on, through exercise and/or eating food you initially don't like but could learn to like (its easy, just make a list of what unprocessed stuff your family members like eating, check your aunts and cousins if you have to).

i do agree though that you should never willpower yourself out of hunger, you should learn to budget your calories right ... which can only be possible if you learn to eat more filling unprocessed food.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's an old discussion, "nature or nurture". Is it genetics or how you behave?

Genetics may predispose one to something, but one's own actions will have a major effect.

When I was 240 lb. and fat, people said: "well, you are naturally big boned".

When I became a 160 lb. athlete, people said: "you are lucky that you are naturally slim".

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm yet to see any genetically fat people pictured in a refugee camp.

If you are fat, you ate more calories than your body needed.

Thats how science works.

A pound of body fat contains 3500 calories, if you didnt eat.drink/photosynthesise them, you have found a way to create energy and have broken science.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can see that. My dad and my son look a like and eat more than most people I know but my dad is 5'11" and about 180 and my son is 5'10" and 155. I am 5'7" and 300 but I eat WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Less. It doesn't seem fair but if I look at the ladies in the family we all have the similar shape (mostly bigger hips and thighs) I have out exercised my genes but I find that I will gain to a certain mark quite quickly and then level off. I also have a friend who is aout 5'4" and about 130 and so are his parents. They can EATTTTTT but are genetically small. they have high blood pressure and one has diabetes so size is not a determining factor or health. There is so much to look at but we all have to work for health. Some shows on the outside while others are hidden.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually blame it on family's behavior. The typical Mom and Dad feeds the family Pizza Hut, KFC, Chinese Food, McDonald's as many times a week they don't want to cook. Houses are rattled with everything on the bad food list (chocolates, candy, breads, etc). And yes that goes for my family too. Even feeding us Mac & Cheese which is horribly evil.

When I was strung up in the hospital a long while ago, family spoiled me with Halloween Candy. Big big bags of chocolates. Long after that I adjusted. Everything bad went out the window. 302.4 to my formerly lowest score of 170. It's family behavior. Adjust the family behavior and everyone will change and drop in weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Eating bad has more to do with weight then genetics.  I've been overweight my whole life and got to 300lbs last year, and I ate horrible.  Whole large pizza 2x's a week, Double burger, onion rings, shake, tons of fattening things.  I turned 40 and decided this path is leading to death, and I changed the way I eat.  No more fast food, no more processed food, and exercise.  So far I'm down 65 lbs and I eat healthy, exercise 6x's per week, and I have more energy and active then ever.  I feel better and weigh less then I have in my life.  Hell I even weigh less then what i did in high school. 

In the end you control what you become, if you eat junk food and lay on the couch watching tv you will be fat.  You eat right and exercise you will be fit genetics or not.

Fitbit One + MyFitnessPal = - 100lbs
::You can't outrun your fork ::
Best Answer
0 Votes

eating bad is one thing being predisposed to gaining weight is another. Weight we show it on the inside with blood work or internal changes or both, it is still not good.

Best Answer
0 Votes