Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any low fat vegans ?

back again .... my dog ate my 1st fitbit. Hoping to connect with others ... 

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Vegan fersure...but diet is generally low fat anyway, except what I add to it.  And the coconut oil in my coffee....YUM!!!

Can't go No-fat, body needs carbs, complete proteins, and fats to function optimally.....

SO now there are atleast 2 of us vegans here!!! woohoo!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for such a speedy reply.
Love the coconut oil and coffee sounds delicious.

On fat I am a student of Dr. Collin T Campbell and I've lost over 70 pounds so far with Dr McDougall too.. All of them are nonfat lowfat vegan platforms ... Even gone so far is to get a plant-based certificate from Cornell University.Perhaps you've come across the book the China study or dr. Esyelston and a few others on the subject. Backstory is I'm born and raised vegan and had a difficult time with my weight my entire life until I follow these doctors programs. I fully plan on integrating a little more fat in to my life once my body is in remission(stable healthy weight)

Without the fat my life my inflammation is zero and needless to say the weight is falling off. However, I fully appreciate that there are many journeys to get to one destination so to each his own;)

As your fellow vegan I am thrilled to have found you!

What are your goals and aspirations?
Silly I would like to return to my original state. I was extremely athletic and really valued my weekends where I'd take one when adventure after another. Unfortunately, I have Lymes disease two times and ended up getting three surgeries and lost sense it myself and put on the weight that I'm now taking off... Almost there not much more to go!

Looking forward to hearing and again thank you for reaching out...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@dorthy glad to have you back on track... I have to admit that I lol when I read your dog ate your first fitbit; sorry but it took me back. I am vegan 95% as it is simply too difficult for me to live in this world and be 100% though I did try. My health was really bad and when I changed my lifestyle I gradually ended up Vegan and I love it. Do you eat mostly raw or do you cook your foods? Friend me if you like. I love to chat about the Vegan lifestyle as most of my friends are not. May you meet all of you goals!

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder how many steps your dog has done then? lol

I became a vegetarian about three months ago and and am trying to limit dairy and eggs with the aim of becoming vegan. I have managed to give up yoghurt, eggs and milk without any trouble but am having a hard time with cheese and butter. I buy local ethically raised cheese and butter which makes me feel slightly better about it and only eat it once or twice a week at the most. Thing is I love bread which I bake myself and its just not the same without butter! I try to avoid processed foods too so cant eat vegan spreads that are available such as Earth Balance etc.  I am hoping that gradually I will be able to phase it out completely but dont want to cut out too much all at once as I might crack. 

I must say that since changing to a vegetarian (with very limited dairy) whole foods diet the weight seems to be coming off much easier than before which is great and I am feeling very well in myself. 

I have disccovered the blog My Whole Food Life which is all vegan and has the greatest recipes. I was having trouble coming up with meal ideas and it has helped me no end.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the reply! Glad to have found you 🙂 !!! I get it on not being 100 precent my husband does the same and feels great ... I eat 50/50 cooked and Raw .. The weight falls off 3 pounds this week a I never felt better .. What's you goal ? I have 40 more to go
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mel2 congratulations on your progressive journey toward the vegan lifestyle. I so get what you mean about dairy and cheese... I was lactose intolerant so I had more incentive to stay away from dairy and it  fueled my desire to learn how to make my own plant based foods... milks and cheese included... it is so easy once you get the timing down. Eating raw does require one to plan ahead for anything dehydrated or faux dairy and it is worth it. I loved to cook and bake and now I have a new way of uncooking and unbaking that meets my needs in a much healthier way. When I say 95% Raw Vegan it is just that and at times even higher.

The remaining 5% comes into play as a vegan but is cooked and has the occaisional "real food" as my friends call it. Every week I make a big pot of vegan soup or stew and break it down to freeze and eat when I seek the warmth of comfort food. Then there is the occaisional bit of real ice cream or a candy bar or pizza or fresh baked bread... basically the foods I love that don't like me but I just have to have them once in a while... I am only human and will not deny myself that pleasure or I can get grumpy. Truth is I want it less knowing it is ok.  No red meat since 2006. But I'd be lying if I said I never had an egg or a serving of chicken or fish since then but you will not find those foods in my home. Except for 4 cans of tuna and salmon on the top shelf of my cupboard in case of an emergency. 

I dehydrate many foods and make great flax crackers to dip in nut pulps. Chips, trail bars, cookies and deserts that are way yummy and no preservatives. Raw soups and lots of green drinks and smoothies...  Learning to "un" cook has been a wonderful experience. and yes the better we eat the pounds do fall off. But if you over do it with raw or vegan the pounds will accumulate as well. Nutbutters are my downfall.

There are many books for vegans and raw foodest out there. Many are not sorted in a way that I find easy to follow. There are a couple good raw vegan video channels on my Roku Food Channel that are quite interesting. I learned how to make an unsloppy joe with mushrooms and it was soooo good.  Once you get into it you will love creating your own recipies as there are no rules. I love to dehydrate foods and wish I had the energy to do more of it but my health holds me back. Bulk cooking and uncooking is a great  way to free up time for other fun things in life. You can get in a rut eating salads and there is no reason with the variety of ways to prepare raw foods. I have found that I duplicate most meals and they taste better. Raw spahetti and sauce is excellent. All about thinking outside the box. Most important in uncooking is to be certain that you soak and rinse seeds and nuts. I use quinoa and

I wish you luck and hope that the list below is helpful:

Books:

1. RAWSOME by Brigitte Mars (my go to and the first book I bought, filled with why go vegan, lists of foods, nutritional benefits and excellent recipies)

2. Ani's Raw food kitchen ( good all around information and many good recipies)

3. The New Whole Foods Encycloopedia ( I was never able to eat fresh foods and when I found this is opened my eyes to a new world ... )

Kitchen Appliances:

1. Vita Mix

2. Good Food Processor (Kitchen Aide)

3. Dehydrator (Excalibur)

4. Ninja 3in1 that is now even better (for cooking hot foods)

I'm going to check out that blog you mentioned; thanks.

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer
I think another amazing website is called the happy herbivore.. Have fantastic meal plans and like 1200 cal range .. I'm also enjoying reading the vegan magazines here and there I find out about a lot of products that I would otherwise miss in the market or overlook.. It is amazing how even small changes can create such a large difference not only for ourselves but the world around us to
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Thank you for your immensely informative and generous reply! I gathered a lot of good tips from it!!

I'm also currently enrolled in a course at the McKinney school of culinary arts going to get a certificate in cooking plant-based eating.. I'm hoping that gives me a broader range and makes me more familiar with a few things that I've half attempted to do!

You mentioned a few foods that were struggle I feel you! To know was an issue and pizza for me is an issue I love a good Sicilian slice of tomato pie minus the heavy olive oil.. But every now and then I have to have it LOL
Going to take a look at those YouTube channels tonight can't wait to get started!! Do you have any favorite recipes?
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
@dorthy - I have about 30lbs left to go although I might decide to lose a few more once I get there. I will see how I feel/look.
@NewDawn - loads of great information there. Thank you. it is daunting at first because eating like this is so different to how everyone else eats (in my circle anyway). Even my husband thinks I'm weird now!! Lol
I am so lucky that we have a lot of vegetarian and vegan restaurants where I live and 3 raw food cafes/restaurants which are excellent. That helps as I can still have a night out without falling off the wagon!
@dorthy - not a raw recipe but one of my favourites at the moment (I make it on the hob as I don't have a crock pot/slow cooker) as its getting a bit cooler out now and I love a nice bowl of hot soup! http://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/01/08/slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/
Best Answer
0 Votes
That sounds amazing! Literally I'm going to try it this week thank you so much... I too little and a few restaurants makes life so easy also feels very luxurious to splurge here in their own wonderful products and dishes that I don't have to make

One socially awkward situations I feel you! I go through it often but you know my husband had the same issue yours is having two until I started showing him free YouTube videos with Dr. McDougall and Campbell etc. fact is in the kitchen watching one now LOL he is a flexitarian steadily becoming a vegan if I say it forget about it but if he hears the doctors I have a shot LOL

mouth watering that recipe going to give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just a tip for when you make the soup - I always use my stick blender when it's done, not to completely blend as I like a few lumps but just a few whizzes with it as it makes it really creamy looking/tasting. Hope you enjoy. We have had it every week for the last four weeks as we enjoyed it so much!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have Freire watching documentaries on Netflix with him around (forks over knives, hungry for change, food matters etc) but he just says they talk a load of rubbish and that none of it is factual. Truth is he will only believe what he wants to believe. He's eeing me get healthier and healthier though (as he sits drinking coke and eating Pringles!) so I'm hoping that one day at least some of it might rub off on him!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Awesome glad that you have a conclusion that you're passionate about. To each Own good luck with that... Perhaps you didn't realize you were to begin to read I'm sure there's one to accommodate your belief systems

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really try to follow McDougall as well.  Gotta love all the potatoes!  I had an injury and havent been very mobile the last 4 weeks but still managed to knock off a pound a week and I was not eating perfectly.  Straight Up Food is a good blog too!

My favorite recipe right now is Oh She Glows Cauliflower alfredo.  You can googel it and get the recipe - I just leave out the oil.  I like to put it over 1/2 spaghetti squash and 1/2 whole wheat pasta.

Love making new low fat vegan friends!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi dorthy.  Congrats on your weight loss!  Are you following "The Starch Solution"?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm closer to low-carb vegan than low-fat, but I don't follow either strictly.

It seems that low-carb will help you lose weight faster than low-fat, but i guess calories is the most important.

i love these vegan protein bars: http://store.nugonutrition.com/products/20902.html

and The Good Slice Veggie Bologna (Yves) is low fat, low carb, and high protein - while only around 200 calories per package. I eat them right out of the sleeve!

Best Answer
0 Votes