Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i lose inches but not weight without exercise ?

am on a diet for two months and i've lost 11 kg, 

for the last week my weight has been stuck but i lost 1.2 cm around my waist ?

is this possible ? 

i know that this could happen when i lose fat and gain muscles but i don't exercise , i only walk 10 to 30 m before i go to sleep and that's it 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I would think 1.2 cm is well within the error range of how accurately you can measure your waist size.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

am using measuring tape for body 

Best Answer
0 Votes

am using measuring tape for body 

Best Answer
0 Votes

am on a diet and everything was going great until my weight got stuck for two weeks luckily it moved again today ... my question is my weight was stuck for two weeks straight but i lost 2 inches around my waist and i do not exercise only walking from 10m to 60m a day it depends on how much free time i have , so is this possible ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jasmin97 wrote:

am on a diet and everything was going great until my weight got stuck for two weeks luckily it moved again today ... my question is my weight was stuck for two weeks straight but i lost 2 inches around my waist and i do not exercise only walking from 10m to 60m a day it depends on how much free time i have , so is this possible ?

Yes, it's possible. There are a number of explanations.

The first is natural fluctuations in water weight.

The second is if you increase exercise even a little, without consuming more calories, you'll begin to lose some weight. It varies among people where the weight begins to come off--in your case it may the waist.

Steady exercise such as walking is known to burn proportionally more fat than more intense forms of exercise (even though more intense exercise burns more calories).

Remember, weight loss is a marathon, not a race. Tracking changes daily can frustrating because weight loss doesn't happen in a linear manner--it can zig zag up and down a bit. In my experience, obsessing over small changes in weight and body size can lead to disappointment. Not that that is what you're doing, I'm just putting that out there. Look for changes week-to-week, and make gradual changes to your diet and exercise for best results. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@jasmin97  There are many studies that conclude exercise is critical for good health and longevity  but does NOT help with losing weight.  You can lose just as much weight with no exercise at all.  I am extremely healthy after decades of exercise by mistake.   I read on my treadmill and bike, and so am still doing it.  I am also a normal weight person.   So, exercise for health when convenient or you can find a way to enjoy it, as I do with my books,  but most people who start an exercise program eat extra and DON'T  lose weight.  To lose weight count calories.  Figure out how many will maintain your height and bone size  and eat 500 less than that.  Ignore any "calories used" on your Fitbit.  It doesn't make any difference.  You can never make up for a bad diet with exercise.  Little bones need a bit  fewer calories and big bones more than charts show.  . Bones are measured by putting your thumb and middle finger of one hand around the wrist of the other where you would wear a watch.  If the finger laps over = little bones.  If they just touch medium bones and if they don't meet, big bones.  

You could figure out the number of calories is required for the weight  you want to reach and just eat that number each day.  You will eventually need to learn how to eat to maintain that weight anyway.

Best Answer