Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't stop eating

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and have ulcertive colitis....i was 102 in december now i'm 114 and i am an extremely clean eater but i eat TONS OF FOOD. 20 bananas gone in a week, 3 huge cartons of fruit and carrots gone in two days....can't stop. not even hungry. but don't want to do anything else but eat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Are you sure with all that sugar you aren't feeling hungry?

Usually lots of sugar like you describe (yes, it is still sugar despite being "clean" or "healthy", same to your body to deal with as a cookie) causes insulin to spike fast, or at least be elevated constantly, which can cause low blood sugar.

That then makes you feel hungry, or empty stomach, because body wants more sugar to come in to get the blood sugar back up.

Do you eat any protein or fat at all with all this sugar?

You should, and if you do, eat it first before the sugar, may slow down absorption and negative effect.

Also, besides the higher sugar and calories in fruit, vegetables don't have many calories usually, so while filling for the stomach, not really filling for the body which wants more calories for energy.

You feeling full and your body being fully fed for level of activity or 2 separate things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I like what Heybales said.  Just as (call me guilty!) 1 or 5 or 12 oreos can light up the 'FFWWWAA THATS GOOD!!!' feelings.  The recurring spike that can come with sweet, bio-available (and still good for you) sugars in fruits can poke that happy place in the brain.

Lots of times, when the body is craving more input, it's because it's lacking something.  As a vegan, takes some learning to understand.  Yeah, there are fruitarians out there so it's not to say 'just eating fruit is bad'.

Diversity has to be your friend.  Start mixing in some leafy green veg for fiber and protein and phyto-nutrients. Even when eating a calorie dense meal, but with low nutrient value -- body can be 'hungry' right after because it needs some Magnisium or Manangese or (fill in the blank).  

Also, check your water intake too.  OFTEN hunger is a disguise for dehydration...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like your leaning heavily on a fruit diet... are you a 'fruitatarian' or raw foodie? What people don't realize is that diet might work for one person but not for another. You should try adding in some healthy fats (avacado, coconut oils, nuts and seeds etc)  You might not be hungry but your body is craving certain nutrients. Some fats and a quality food sourced multi should do the trick. 

Could also try a plant based protein supplement.

Good Luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is possible the satiety center in your brain is stuck 'on'. This is a chemical reaction and it means that something like ghrelin is being over produced. Because you said you have ulcerative colitis it might mean that your gut bacteria is out of whack. I would suggest that step one you talk to your dr about any meds you are taking. This might be a side effect of the meds. Second, make sure it is ok for you to try probiotics and then get one from a good health food store that has all three types. In the mean time, pre-plan your meals, write down exactly what you are going to eat during the day to make sure it is balanced and nutritious (enough calories, all the food groups, etc) and then follow this and do not eat anything not on the list. If you find you are wanting to mindlessly graze, chew sugarless gum, or suck ice or drink water (some people find cold water helps, others find very warm water helps). If you are still doing it, go brush your teeth. You may find you have brushed your teeth four times in one day *grin* but most people can't eat with the taste of toothpaste in their mouth 🙂 Finally, don't just stay at home where there is food. LEAVE! Go for a walk, go to the park, take a drive, visit a friend, go to the gym, go to the library. Anything to get you away from your kitchen!!

Best Answer

Another thing that might be going on is a mood disorder.    All those readily available carbs work on serotonin levels.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, keep reading up on PCOS - you'll discover it is not a carb friendly disease.

Probably join this group too.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Weight-Loss/PCOS-ladies/td-p/38197/jump-to/first-unread-message

But something I've observed, despite the difficulty losing weight, far too many try to add another stress to a stressed out body.

With an unhealthy body, it can't take the same stress of a deficit that might be reasonable without the problems. You need to take less deficit for it to be reasonable, and not set up a fight for weight/fat loss that you'll lose (and not weight).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good Morning Dolphins203, I also have PCOS, i have had it since I was 16 and I am now 42.  I too feel like i never stop eating, I am not hungry, i just find that if i am not putting food in my mouth, i am not satisfied.  I don't know what the solution is.  If you find a solution, please share it with me.  I am going to try again to use the fit bit log to help me control the eating.  PCOS is not an easy thing for any women to deal with, it messes with your putuitary gland and makes it VERY HARD for you to loose weight, as where one person could loose 10 lbs you may be able to loose 2 lbs.  You just have to keep at it, and don't let PCOS take control of  your life, I have learned to live with the PCOS.  I was told @ 16 I would never have a child because I had one of the worst cases of PCOS that they had ever seen, I had my first and only CHild in Nov of 2012.  So the doctors don't know everything, LIFE IS POSSIBLE with PCOS., I know... I have a miracle child to prove it.  Good Luck and keep us posted on any ideas on the eating issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like me a few years ago.

(for me) It had nothing to do with food or hunger.  I have severe adult ADHD and I'm a former smoker.  I have to have some kind of fixation and I need about 14 things going on at once so I can function properly.  For example, I can't just simply put on a movie and sit and watch it.  I would go crazy.  I have to be doing something else, too.  So, I'd eat.

Over the past few years I have taught myself various crafting skills.  Crochet, knitting, wire-wrap jewelry, hemp jewelry, polymer clay, etc etc.    Helps out A LOT!

Best Answer
0 Votes

20 Bananas? Have you had your potassium levels tested? Way too much potassium is deadly in time.

Hyperkalemia.

Dietitians can provide a list of foods you can consume while on PCOS while also maintaining adequate caloric levels. http://www.pcosdietsupport.com

Best Answer
0 Votes
That sounds like a great idea, however most of my eating is done while I am
at work at my desk. I don't understand it. Maybe I am just bored at my
current job. Maybe I will try asking for a little more to do at the office
to keep me just busy enough not to have so much bored time to sit and munch
all the bad foods i eat. At home i think i will try learning a new craft,
that sounds fun and maybe it will be something that i can enjoy with my two
yr old little guy.

Thank you for your response and for the uplifting ideas, they may just help.
Best Answer
0 Votes