Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone els find the food tracker to be less than anticipated?

ANSWERED

does anyone els find the food tracker to be less than anticipated? The foods I enter and brands are rarely available resulting in much manual entry. The purpose of this Fitbit was to simplify my life. The Sleep tracking is great as are the steps. but the Food well...

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions
I've seen a number of complaints about this. In the help section people can vote for ideas to improve and this is one of the ideas that's mentioned quite often, so if you want to make a difference, make sure to vote in there.
For now the advice I can give you is to start using My Fitness Pal to register your food intake (only that, keep on using Fitbit for activities)
Their database is much more extensive and it syncs perfectly to Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

There are at least three different nutrition trackers that an log to fitbit for you. I've tried

*loseit.com , I believe it logs the speciic foods. This is the first that linked with fitbit and it didn't click with how I log so haven't used it since new options were added. But is works well for some.

*myfitnesspal.com , this maybe easiest to use for food logging though it only logs meal summaries to fitbit not specific foods.

*sparkpeople.com , this does log specific foods but doesn;'t update corrections you make on Spark to fitbit. I like this one because it includes the vitamins and minterals of many foods so is helpful for general nutition tracking. I think MFP is a little easier to use though.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31
I've seen a number of complaints about this. In the help section people can vote for ideas to improve and this is one of the ideas that's mentioned quite often, so if you want to make a difference, make sure to vote in there.
For now the advice I can give you is to start using My Fitness Pal to register your food intake (only that, keep on using Fitbit for activities)
Their database is much more extensive and it syncs perfectly to Fitbit
Best Answer

I use My fitness pal and sync it with fitbit.. has a much more extensive food list, can create recipes of food you cook regulalry.. works well using the app on a phone/tablet.. has a bar scanner that helps with a lot of pre prepared foods etc.. 

Best Answer

Ditto to both of the above - 

Marking your question "solved" lets others know that they may find an answer to a question they have in this thread
Best Answer

I have been using myfitnesspal to track my food as I can use my smartphone to scan most any product and it can be synced with the fitbit account to count my calories.  This has been the most helpful because I also had a hard time with the food tracker.  If you use this fitbit no longer keeps track of the nutrition but myfitnesspal has a bunch of different graphs and things if you wanted a breakdown of your nutritional intake.

Best Answer

There are at least three different nutrition trackers that an log to fitbit for you. I've tried

*loseit.com , I believe it logs the speciic foods. This is the first that linked with fitbit and it didn't click with how I log so haven't used it since new options were added. But is works well for some.

*myfitnesspal.com , this maybe easiest to use for food logging though it only logs meal summaries to fitbit not specific foods.

*sparkpeople.com , this does log specific foods but doesn;'t update corrections you make on Spark to fitbit. I like this one because it includes the vitamins and minterals of many foods so is helpful for general nutition tracking. I think MFP is a little easier to use though.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer

I agree with the above posters... I also use MyFitnessPal and it syncs perfectly Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I use loseit , works great with my fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try My Fitness Pal. I too got discouraged when I had to enter foods I use from their packaging. I had to make them "Favorites" in order to keep them available when I ate them again, especially when modifying the serving size to what I actually ate.

Best Answer

Kudos to Fitbit!!! 

Now I can create meals. As a Vegan this is most helpful because I eat a lot of repeats; especially my salads. Thanks for hearing us.

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer

I love entering food using MyFitness but I've noticed the last couple of days that the food I've entered doesn't sync to Fitbit 'automatically.' Does it only sync at the end of the day? Or when I'm back hom at my home computer or what? 

I'm always interested to see the calories throughout the day in Fitbit as I enter them but it shows 0 even though I have entered 320 into MFP, as an example. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use MyNetDiary to log my food and to track all I need to track to manage my diabetes. It took me a little bit to get all set up but Ive been pleased with the integration.

An athlete is someone who makes maximum use of his genetic endowment through training in his environment. - C.T. Mervyn Davies
Best Answer
0 Votes
Honestly I just use my fitness pal to keep track of food, pounds, water, etc and it automatically goes into Fitbit on my dashboard. That way I don't have to keep track of everything twice.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I too am disappointed in the Food section of Fitbit - I have used My Fitness Pal for almost 3 years now and hoping to use it exclusively because frankly, am I fed up with the My Fitness Pal app issues.  It would lock up, lock up my phone (and I have a Samsung Galaxy S4) or sit there and spin and spin when I would search for food so was hoping to find something that was a little faster.  So far, I am typing all my food in on the Fitbit website and if they don't have the exact item I want, I find the most comparable to calories, then fat and protein, secondary.  Not the best, most accurate way to do it but at least my calories are correct.

Hopefully, as time goes by, their Food list will become more extensive and make life a lot easier on all of us!

Best Answer

Hey,

I find that to be frustrating too. I tend to jump between FitBit and LoseIt for tracking. This week I've been using FitBit but I think I'm going to go back to LoseIt since it seems to track easier.

Best Answer

Another vote for MyFitnessPal.  I use it as my "master" record keeper and just link everything up to it.  I let it sort out the differences in say, Fitbit, my HRM, and Digifit.  It is really not worth the effort to me to try to keep track of each one individually.  MFP has a very good food database and I find that using the bar code scanner is a great feature that I use pretty regularly.  When I was a Weight Watcher member I thought their food database was quite good and really liked their recipe builder but it was not strong enough compared to MFP to be worth the $$ that WW cost so I just switched.  I also find the information on MFP to suite my needs more than the points did on WW.

Best Answer

I also use myfitnesspal because of the excellent food list but also for the report section that will break down your food choices in catogories such as iron,calcium,carbs, protein,fat vitamin C etc... and the red lines shows what you should be getting which also helps you choose your foods.

Best Answer

I think it is ridiculous that all the food is linked to a restaurant. When I cook at home I can't select anything because all the choices are restaurants - and none of them are in my area. SO frustrating. Smiley Sad

Best Answer
How do you sync my fitness pal and fit it?
Best Answer

I found this link online.  Looks like you click on Connect, then log into your MyFitnessPal account.  Hopefully it directs you from there!

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30

Best Answer