Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lose weight?

Hi I am a 39 year old female. I am rather small only 5 feet.  What is the ideal calories that one can consume in a day. My fitbit charge 2 is recommending me 2,293 which I am not sure if that is too many calories for weight loss. Please can someone advise ....

Thanks and a very happy new year. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I took the liberty to move your post to the Weight Management forum.

My advice would be to have a look at an online calculator such as this one, and use it to figure out your BMR and your TDEE at your current activity level. If you’re not familiar with BMR and TDEE, they’re explained below the calculator. Your TDEE should correspond to calories burned, as reported by your Fitbit (though the Charge 2 may slightly inflate them).

It’s impossible to know whether or not 2293 calories will cause you to lose weight, since it depends on your weight and your activity level (which we don’t know). 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

A quick google purs an 'ideal' weight range for a 5' woman at 95-117 pounds.  I then went to this site to get a ball park figure on how many calories to maintain 115 pounds and the range is : 1500 if you are sedentary and up to 2300 if you are VERY ACTIVE.  Here are the definitions of active:

Sedentary Lifestyle — Little or no exercise.

Lightly Active Lifestyle — Light exercise or sports 1 - 3 days/week.

Moderately Active Lifestyle — Moderate exercise or sports 3 - 5 days/week.

Very Active Lifestyle — Hard exercise or sports 6 - 7 days/week.

Extra Active Lifestyle — Very hard exercise or sports 6 - 7 days/week.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/calories-calculator

If you eat to maintain your ideal weight, you will lose weight; its the easiest and, imo, the most accurate way to figure.  I say this because if you are overeating by 1000 calories a day and you cut calories the recommended 500 a day, you won't lose weight, you'll just gain slower.

Best Answer