Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

losing a pound a day

Hi all! I just started using my Fitbit on the 1st. and I looove it! Anyways. I started at 225 pounds. I track everything I eat. I don't usually go over 1200 calories. I work out everyday. I burn about 400 calories every evening or morning on my stationary bike. I've been weighing myself in the morning when I wake up everyday. (I've taken the batteries out now so I will just do it every week) But I have been losing a pound every day this week. People say this is unhealthy? But I am really not being unhealthy. I eat great I drink a ton of water too. So is this normal when you are heavier? 

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

my guess is that it's mostly just water weight at this point.

but when you are heavier, you do lose weight faster initially.  (i started at 271 and am now 170-175)  just don't expect or try to keep the same weight loss pace.  it will slow down.  doesn't mean you're failing or anything though.  it just means you have less weight to lose and it will take longer.  i lost the first 50 pounds in about 4 months.  the other 50 took about 8 more months.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Lol. I never expected to lose this much. I was aiming for 1-2 a week. so I have no expection. I was just suprised. I have a 60 pound goal. so Let's see how long it takes. 

Best Answer

@quinnie1 wrote:

Lol. I never expected to lose this much. I was aiming for 1-2 a week. so I have no expection. I was just suprised. I have a 60 pound goal. so Let's see how long it takes. 

I agree with @carl669. This initial weight loss is not unusual at the beginning of a diet and will likely taper off very soon. But you seem to be headed in the right direction. Good luck!

Best Answer

Congrats on the weight loss.  First 1200 calories is the theoretical minimum number of calories a woman should eat in a day.  You said you don't go over 1200 most days, that's actually dangerous.  You should try to eat at least 1200 calories.

Strange things can happen when you eat too few calories.  My wife for example is very active.  I didn't know how active she was until she got a Blaze.  And I see she walks 8000 to 15000 steps a day doing work around the yard with our animals. 

She's been gaining weight, and had a bad habit of only eating once a day, around 400-800 calories... 

She's now eating around 1500 calories and lost 25 lbs.  No other changes have been made to her activity.  She's just not starving herself any more, and now she's losing.  I had a hell of a time to get her to eat more.  She didn't understand that eating more would lose weight.  But our bodies are designed to survive periods of low calories diets.  To do this it holds onto fat, and burns fat, lowering calories burned.   So don't eat too few.

I don't know things like your height, or age.  Go see a nurtrionist, 100% covered on most medical plans, and talk her about your diet.  If you are 4'10" 1100 calories might be ok.  But if your 5'8" even 1200 calories probably isn't enough.

When you eat too few calories our bodies do bad things.  First they try to hold onto fat.  Second, and worse, then tend to burn more muscle than fat.  And the more muscle you lose, the fewer calories you burn in a day.  If you setup a 1000 calorie deficit in the Fitbit app, it won't care if your diet is too low. 

During the first couple of weeks I worked out, I lost about 10 lbs in water weight.  It's hard to imagine, but yes we are technically big bags of mostly water.  After that loss, you start to lose fat.

I suspect that this will drop down to 2 or 3 lbs lost per week at the most.  And even that will slow down to 1, and then 1/2 lbs per week.

As my doctor is fond of saying, "it took you years to gain the weight, it's going to take you months, or even years to lose it."  My doctor shook his head Monday when I saw him.  He could not believe I've almost lost 60 lbs.  He said, "I have patients that gastric bypass to do not lose as much as you.  I have other patients lose this much, but it took them five years."  So don't expect to lost 7 lbs a week, for 10 weeks and be ready to hit the beach.  Very unlkely to happen.  7 months from now, much more likely.

Keep in mind several studies have shown high caloried deficit diets as you get closer to your goal burn mostly muscle and very little fat.

Right now at 60 lbs from goal, you can safely run a 1000 calorie deficit.  This should produce around a 2 lbs loss per week.  I started at 281, and need to lose 98 lbs.  I ran a deficit around 1500 when I started, and lost 3 lbs most weeks.

But now that I'm down to 221 lbs, I'm running a 750 deficit, and only lose 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week.

Once you get to 40 lbs from your goal, you should drop your deficit to 750.  At 20 lbs from goal, switch to a 500 calorie deficit, and then at 10 from goal, switch to 250 deficit.

But choosing a slower and safter deficit, this gives your body to adjust to the diet changes.  Which makes it easier to maintain your weight once you reach your goal.  Also choosing to lose your weight slowly is better for your metabolism, and will help give your body time for your skin to shrink.  If you did manage to keep loosing 7 lbs a week, you would end up with a ton of extra skin that you would probably have to have surgically removed.  IE a Tummy tuck, a chin tuck, etc.  To avoid that you need to lose your weight slowly so you skin can shrink.

If you watch shows like the biggest loser, they have straps holding the extra skin in place after when they win.  Because they loose the weight too fast.

If you loose too much weight too quickly, your skin will not shrink and you will be left with a ton of extra skin.  So slower is better in the long run. 

So log all your food, eat healthy, eat enough calories, run a calorie deficit.  Lower your deficit as you get closer to your goal.  Exercise every day. 

You'll your reach you goal.  You probably won't reach it this year, but you will reach it.  It took me 7 1/2 lbs to lose 60 lbs.  I'm 38 lbs from my goal at 183.  These last 38, maybe 6 months, maybe more.  But I'll get there. 

Most of my skin has shrunk nicely.  I still have loose skin under my chin to my adam's apple.  It may or may not shrink.  Extra skin on the bottom of my biceps.  But my belly has been shrinking nicely.  My legs and arms, even my fingers have all gotten smaller.  Once I get to my goal, I should be able to bulk up my biceps, and that will take care of the loose skin there.  Leaving just the loose skin under my chin.    Considering I was 100 lbs over weight, that's not too bad. 

Good luck and keep stepping....

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

@quinnie1,

Losing a pound a day of fat is virtually impossible - therefore since it's impossible, don't worry about whether it's healthy or not. Also, super-quick weight loss is probably not desirable, because people that lose weigh quickly generally gain it back. 

Math: If a pound of fat = 3500 calories, how are you going to lose a pound a day? It's impossible to deduct 3500 calories from what you normally eat, unless you eat like a Tour de France rider or something like that. (Greg LeMond states that he would eat 7000 calories during that race)

More Math: I gain weight when I eat a total of 3000 calories a day, which is what my average day of eating used to be. How would I cut 3500 calories from that to lose a pound a day?

The Fitbit app is outstanding when it is giving you an estimate of how many calories to eat. I agree with others that this initial weight loss is pretty common, and is probably water weight. I would go for 2 pounds per week MAX as far as weight loss, and allow the excellent Fitbit app to guide you. Man LOL

My two centavos . . . .  

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
Well how can I control 2 pounds a week? I work out a pretty normal amount I don't work out excessively and I don't eat bad. I think 1200-1400 calories a day is pretty good from what fitbit and other apps tell me.
Best Answer
I'm 5"2 and I do 1200 calories a day sometimes 1400. I don't go over. I track everything! I used to eat 600 to 800 a day lol. Bad idea
Best Answer

@quinnie1 wrote:
Well how can I control 2 pounds a week? I work out a pretty normal amount I don't work out excessively and I don't eat bad. I think 1200-1400 calories a day is pretty good from what fitbit and other apps tell me.

What does your fitbit app say you are burning in a day for the last 14 days?  Tell us Yesterday 2200,wednesday 2100, Tuesday 2400....   etc....  Go back two weeks.  Also if you have it how many calories you ate each of those days.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
Sorry I meant I don't go past 1200. But some days I do 1400.
Best Answer
  1. Monday 1900
  2. Tuesday 1800
  3. Wenesday 2200
  4. Thursday - 2043
    That was this week.

and I ate 1220 calories on those days! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Based on this you should be losing around 1 1/4 to 2 lbs.  So water weight loss.  You weight loss should taper down to around 1 1/4 to 2 lbs a week lost.

I lost 10 lbs the first month I was exercising and having started chaning my diet.  I'm 100% sure that was not 10 lbs of fat I lost.

Remember weight loss is never linear.  I've had weeks I lost 3 lbs, I lost 2 lbs, 1 lbs, gained 1 lbs, stayed the same...  Even if you ate the same amount of food and got the same amount exercise, you will not lose the same amount of weight each week.

So just keep at it.  You'll get there. 

Best Answer

If you have a ton of weight to lose, it definitely will drop like a rock the first few weeks of a dramatic change in diet and exercise. It's normal, not 'unhealthy'. The 'numbers' rarely make sense during this stage.

What's also normal is that after a few weeks things will stall...your body adapts to the changes, and settles on a new baseline.

At that point (the dreaded plateau), you will have to shake things up, either with diet or exercise..sometimes every 2 or 3 weeks a shake-up is needed.

Until then enjoy the pleasure of the plunge..it feels great and is motivating!  🙂

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

You are doing great and I hope it continues for weeks to come. The best judge is you- how do you feel? if you are tired, fuzzy, shaky then you are eating not enough and you should reconsider. If things are good- then enjoy and keep going. Just keep practicing good nutrition, good fluids and good movement. Continued success in your journey!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I just found this thread today! I'm curious to know how your journey is progressing. 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes