Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

struggling with seeing no results

ANSWERED

Hi all,

Need so advice. 

Im struggling with my weight loss and find the willpower to keep going when no results are showing

I have been working out at least 3-4 times a week and sometimes 5 however I do have that day where everything goes out the window and I sit in front of the tv and eat. yes I know the worst thing to do. and I should get up and turn the tv off but I just dont. its a weekend thing. 

This week I preped all my salads for the week. and was doing great. my steps were up high and I have motivated with workout. last workout duration of 2hrs. hubby even came outside and held the pads while I finished off with 100 reps of boxing. which I was so proud off. but that is my weekly routine. once the weekend hits Its like rest up fully. trying to get the time or motivation to workout on weekends is hard when hubby is home. I missed boot camp this week due to giving in to hubby wanting to do something different. and thats where it started. going for that long drive gets me into relax mode and that where I stay.

once I have a binge eating episode that the eat of the day. I feel like crap and hit a depression mode. the scales are on the up and so is the feelingj of my clothes. 

this is a weekly thing. I go hard for the week hit that binge day and then weigh in and see no result. 

I need to start seeing result or I feel Im fighting an endless battle.

please help with some advice. 

oh is it possible to eat too much protein and this can stop me from seeing results. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Been thinking about this one ALL DAY!

And read a topical quote that I like...."Progress...not perfection.".

Like many on here, you're struggling between a 'diet' and 'exercise regime' and a LIFESTYLE change -- a change that can be forever!  Diet, exercise...are like chores.  Doing without stuff you want and forced to do 'stuff' to get moving -- but looking for that earned meal, or snack or break.

I'll be the first to say I would LOVE time to veg out and just do my lazy time stuff.  And yeah, you CAN do your 1 day on the weekend couch-potato impression but with HEALTHY snacks..Maybe you can EARN that afternoon on the couch by waking up and doing like 10,000 steps before allowing yourself to sit down!!!!

Like many of us, you're admitting to sabotaging yourself.  Good during the week, slip back to, to be honest, is your lifestyle that you are trying to escape. A lifestyle change takes like 30 days to set it, and every weekend you backslide...clock starts over.

You're not wrong.  You're at best treading water.  Without much support.  Work your ass off all week and **ahem** it up on the weekend.  Doing stuff together is a good couple thing...but on the path with most typical Americans....soon you'll atleast have a partner in obestity.  Pausing to catch your breath going up the stairs.  Maybe friendly competition to see who can get the higher blood pressure, the higher cholestoral #, or take the most pills...or see who gets diabetes first....    (sorry..poor attempt at humor but a sore subject).

No excuses.  No blame except on ourselves.

You want a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal'.....EARN IT!!!

Set your goals, and no more than 1x every 14 days, you can earn a 4-hour eat/do what you want.  Set that goal at 12,000 steps a day...boom....only get 11,00 one day....too bad...start over.

All that boxing should be ripping the heck out of your shoulders....seeing the results in the mirror???  Want too???  Choice is yours.

As for hubby....(this may be harsh, but it's true.  I see this with coworkers all the time.)...A little quote from Mike Dolce...

"Shelly,
Just like you have taken control of your life you must now take control of your kitchen. It is YOUR kitchen after-all and in MY kitchen, I make the rules.  There are no unhealthy ingredients allowed to be brought into my home.
     If my family and I do feel like we deserve to get some ice cream or enjoy a pizza, we get in the car and make a day of it.  My house, just like my body is my temple.  A major part of every lifestyle change is what I call, "The Crabs in the Pot Syndrome".  
     As a former fisherman, I would notice how crabs would climb on top of each other to get to the top of a holding pot but sure enough, every time one brave little crab got close enough to break free, all the other crabs would reach up and pull it right back down.  Whether they are trying to pull themselves up with you or simply trying to stop you from enjoying a freedom that they are not yet able to enjoy, does not matter.
     We need to recognize these "crabs" in our own life and extract ourselves from their influence.  Sometimes it is a coworker, whom we can simply avoid.  Other times, it is a family member we cannot avoid, but we can remove their influence over our life choices.
     in time, you will see that you have become an example to which they will aspire.  Mostly, you must be strong and realize that you are allowed to live your life according to your rules...especially in your own home!
     Great work Shelly! Keep us posted on your progress.
- Mike"

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

What you really need to do it quit the binge eating days. Its what is holding you back. You might be losing some during the week and gaining it back on the weekend

Find other alternatives to some of the foods you are eating. Get out the house on the weekends and do something. It doesnt have to be exercise. Do something with the Hubby.

Just try 1 weekend with out overdoing then go for the Next.

You will not see results until you do.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I have to agree with WendyB. You need to break the pattern of overdoing things on the weekends. That seems to be your roadblock and you already have realized that. Resting and relaxing in front of the TV isn't a horrible thing to do. You do need recovery time from your workouts.

What is your diet? You mentioned salads during the week, but what else are you eating? Are you low carb, low fat, high protein? What is your daily caloric intake? Are you eating more than you are burning? Are you tracking your intake or just playing it by ear?

I apologize for throwing so many questions at you and certainly don't want to discourage you.

For me, I am staying fairly low-carb with my diet and it has been incredibly successful. That doesn't meant that it will work for you, though. I try to go for a walk almost every day - sometimes 8-10 miles, sometimes just 3-4 miles. I also do mostly bodyweight exercise - things that do require weights - like pushups, planks, and such. This has worked really well for me.

I do allow myself to cheat on my diet once in a while - but no more than once per week. This is not a whole day of cheating - just one meal or snack - and only if I have moved in the right direction (lower weight on the scale OR lower body fat %).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB Thank you for your honesty. I know what Im doing is wrong but unfortunely It hard what hubby just wants to relax on weekends. but Im going to take on your advice and suggust a fishing day or maybe a hiking day. thats if hubby is up to it as he is anti exercise and anything to do with exercise he trys to stay clear off.

@Thorgrym my diet isnt really a diet as such but me just thinking healthy and clean eating 

salad are perpared in fridge weekly for the full week and this is my veg intake for lunch or dinner. this is so I dont get into the idea of oh I'll just go get take out.

breakfast is always a breakfast shake i make myself with 1/2 cup light milk or alomd milk, 1/4 cup greek yoghurt 1/4 cup fruit 1 weetbix  i was putting a scoop of protein powder but have stopped now.

i snack between my main meals fruit or a protein shake if i have done a workout after breakfast

lunch will be 100g tuna and salad or chiken breast strips with salad. 

dinner i cook stir frys alot or meat and vegs. I always eat my veg before my meat as I do like vegs more.lol 

I dont drink alot of soft drink I never have. I only drink water of powderade ice tea. but i do drink bourbon and i have soft drink with that. but lately I have limited that to only during a pub meal when we go out for dinner on weekends. like i said this isnt a diet for me but a lifestyle and Im not going to punish myself with taking everything out of my diet.

I do know in order to get fast results i do but Im not after fast result just results.

workouts- I have my own gym at home. I do an hr workout in mornings and i do training session at least 3 times a week in a group class. my workout at home are cardio machines, boxing, circuit and weights i try to mix it up. due to back prolems. 

Best Answer

The weekend binges can easily undo an entire week of hard work. Heck, one sports drink can undo an entire workout. So, work on curbing the overindulgence with eating. Perhaps you and your husband can do something together that distracts you from food.

You don't need to necessarily turn the TV off. You can walk in place while watching the tube. For me, I'll walk/jog in place while watching a show and then go up and down the stairs during commercials. I still enjoy the show but I also get in a nice workout.

Additionally, try healthy substitutions. For example, popcorn can actually be a decent snack if you pop it yourself (instead of the already bagged version with lots of salt and butter). If you find a healthy substitution, you'll feel less like you're missing out on something and you'll be more likely to stick to your calorie target.

Also, you can shift your goals to weekly goals. Instead of aiming for 10,000 steps every day, try to focus on getting 70,000 in a week (or whatever is reasonable for you). That allows you to have a few high days and a few low days, but still hit the same target. Rest is an important part of working out, so don't let a lazy weekend bum you out. Consider it part of your workout routine.

Finally, remember that every day is a new day. Just because you went over your target calorie goal yesterday doesn't mean you have to do the same today.

Best Answer

Smiley Happy Unfortunately, the word 'diet' has gotten a bad reputation. Given what you have stated, the only thing that I could suggest would be to just cut back on the serving sizes a bit - especially with any high calorie salad dressings that you might be using on those salads. The fairly widely believed policy of weight loss is that you need to burn more calories than you consume. While I don't think that it is as simple as just that - i.e. the actual source of the calories also has an impact - it is a good start. Don't 'go on a diet'... just eat a little less of the foods that you are eating. Leave that last bite on the plate and fully chew the foods that you are consuming. Take time to eat those meals. It is amazing how less hungry you are when you take 30 minutes to eat a meal that you otherwise may have consumed in 15 minutes because you didn't fully chew and enjoy the flavors of the food. Taking a bite and quickly swallowing it gives you less enjoyment. I speak from experience on this! Smiley Happy

Mixing up your workout routine as it seems that you do is definitely a good idea; you are less likely to get bored than you would if you were following the same routine over and over again.

As for fast results, losing 1-1.5 pounds per week is considered a reasonable pace.

Best Answer

My hubby wants to relax on weekends. As well As I do. But we at least take one day on the weekend and go do something together. Its not exercise related. We go for a ride. We go to Winerys, or Brew Pubs.

I dont over do on either. Im usaully the the driver. And yes sometimes we walk.

But we decide together what it will be

To me you seem to be making this about him. Who are you doing this for? It should be you and you are number ONE.

You have gotten many good ideas here. You need to think about all of them and do this for you and not your DH

Its all about YOU

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
Are you tracking your calories and being honest with yourself? That's the reason I love Fitbit...it's the friend who is always there encouraging and stating the truth. Get out and do something that doesn't involve food and drink. I allow 2 eating out sessions a week, and chose wisely. I even had a shandy today, but rode my bike to make up for it. You have to get to the core of depression, it's not just the clothes that don't fit...what do you really want? Make the change.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the others comments but I want to add one more thing. Next weekend do a whole house cleaning. Go around and look at what is really piling up on you both. Start with the refrigerator first, throw out anything that is processed and not healthy, go to the pantry and do the same, get rid of all the cookies, chips and snacks that have you sitting in front of the TV munching down. Then on weekends go for a walk at farmers markets or trails. I got my husband to start walking with me at our local trails and we have seen so much wildlife, last week we counted 13 deer in two hours. It doesn't take a lot of effort to walk. If he likes to fish then go fishing. If you can rent bikes or have your own, go for a short ride. Remember the games you played as children and duplicate them. Go roller skating or play badminton or volleyball , those can be done in your own front yard. How about bowling? All of these are fun and help keeping you active. As for a healthy diet, try low carb with equal amounts of fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I kinda went through the same process as you when I first started a couple months ago. Then I read something that really stuck with me:

You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

And you know what, it's totally true. Even after trippling my level of activity, I wasn't losing weight. It wasn't until I committed to a <1500 cals-per-day diet that the pounds started falling off.  You can do it! Remember that the most important person in your life is you. Stay committed, even when hubby is around, and you'll see those pounds come off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SophieSue  thank you for your word. and thank you for everyone elses but I feel everyone want to tell me the same thing. I know what Im doing is not going to get my goals. Its hard to live in a house with temptations in the fridge and pantry. I cant throw them out. cause I have done it and DH brings them back. like I said Im on my own with this. no help from DH as Its not his thing. 

so It will power Im looking for. I know staying activite is the key, but it get a little overwelming sometimes. 

@SophieSue was that a quote you read or a book. Im up to reading and reseaching anything, 1500 cal per day. you know I did actually think that maybe I wasnt eating the right amount of cal for the amount of workouts I know food is to fuel your body and if you dont fuel it you break down, just like a car.

so turning around today. its ME Im doing it for. but I have to be careful as I turned my exercise into an obsession at the begining of the year and it nearly broke my relationship. this is why I tread carefully. 

thank you all for your advice all taken onboard. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Suemo73 , I don't have any book recommendations, but there's several sources of inspiration online I visit almost daily:

Reddit's Lose-it Forum (a support forum for those losing weight):

http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/

Reddit's Get Motivated Forum (mostly motivational quotes/photos):

http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated/

Reddit's Progress Pics Forum (before/after pics from those losing weight):

http://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics

Best of luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Been thinking about this one ALL DAY!

And read a topical quote that I like...."Progress...not perfection.".

Like many on here, you're struggling between a 'diet' and 'exercise regime' and a LIFESTYLE change -- a change that can be forever!  Diet, exercise...are like chores.  Doing without stuff you want and forced to do 'stuff' to get moving -- but looking for that earned meal, or snack or break.

I'll be the first to say I would LOVE time to veg out and just do my lazy time stuff.  And yeah, you CAN do your 1 day on the weekend couch-potato impression but with HEALTHY snacks..Maybe you can EARN that afternoon on the couch by waking up and doing like 10,000 steps before allowing yourself to sit down!!!!

Like many of us, you're admitting to sabotaging yourself.  Good during the week, slip back to, to be honest, is your lifestyle that you are trying to escape. A lifestyle change takes like 30 days to set it, and every weekend you backslide...clock starts over.

You're not wrong.  You're at best treading water.  Without much support.  Work your ass off all week and **ahem** it up on the weekend.  Doing stuff together is a good couple thing...but on the path with most typical Americans....soon you'll atleast have a partner in obestity.  Pausing to catch your breath going up the stairs.  Maybe friendly competition to see who can get the higher blood pressure, the higher cholestoral #, or take the most pills...or see who gets diabetes first....    (sorry..poor attempt at humor but a sore subject).

No excuses.  No blame except on ourselves.

You want a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal'.....EARN IT!!!

Set your goals, and no more than 1x every 14 days, you can earn a 4-hour eat/do what you want.  Set that goal at 12,000 steps a day...boom....only get 11,00 one day....too bad...start over.

All that boxing should be ripping the heck out of your shoulders....seeing the results in the mirror???  Want too???  Choice is yours.

As for hubby....(this may be harsh, but it's true.  I see this with coworkers all the time.)...A little quote from Mike Dolce...

"Shelly,
Just like you have taken control of your life you must now take control of your kitchen. It is YOUR kitchen after-all and in MY kitchen, I make the rules.  There are no unhealthy ingredients allowed to be brought into my home.
     If my family and I do feel like we deserve to get some ice cream or enjoy a pizza, we get in the car and make a day of it.  My house, just like my body is my temple.  A major part of every lifestyle change is what I call, "The Crabs in the Pot Syndrome".  
     As a former fisherman, I would notice how crabs would climb on top of each other to get to the top of a holding pot but sure enough, every time one brave little crab got close enough to break free, all the other crabs would reach up and pull it right back down.  Whether they are trying to pull themselves up with you or simply trying to stop you from enjoying a freedom that they are not yet able to enjoy, does not matter.
     We need to recognize these "crabs" in our own life and extract ourselves from their influence.  Sometimes it is a coworker, whom we can simply avoid.  Other times, it is a family member we cannot avoid, but we can remove their influence over our life choices.
     in time, you will see that you have become an example to which they will aspire.  Mostly, you must be strong and realize that you are allowed to live your life according to your rules...especially in your own home!
     Great work Shelly! Keep us posted on your progress.
- Mike"

Best Answer

thank you all for your advice kind or reality Smiley Happy

I know at the end of the day I have to start to say No. 

well @SunsetRunner your post got me thinking. If hubby isnt going to change and support me it time to fight fire with fire.

He works I dont. due to relationship issues. so he doent me going back to work either

so Im going to make my lifestyle and fitness changes my work. 

setting goal like so many steps until I earn a dinner out or a movie night.

I like that. and Its funny as last night I had been in the car with him at lunch time so yes it was something quick. and it was an unhealthy choise, but as I count my calories with myfitnesspal I told him no dinner until I have worked that lunch off. so I hit my gym for an hour flogging my butt until I was satisfied then I came back cooked chicken breast and salad for dinner. I was feeling so proud of myself and thought to myself omg if I have to do that everytime I stuff up I not doing it again. so yes I guess what Im saying is its mind over matter. to just stay on track.

will keep you posted 

Sue

Best Answer

Good for you! Take charge!!  🙂

When I get breathing time from work, can post up some healthy/clean comfort foods too! 

That motivation/advice is what community is all about!

Best Answer

I normally don't post on here but stumbled across this and it concerned me.  The fact you don't work due to "relationship issues" haunts me.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask you point blank if your husband is controlling and doesn't want you to work outside the home.  I'll also ask if part of the reason you excercising caused issues is because he accuses you of wanting to get thin so you'll be attractive and cheat on him.  If the answer to either of those is yes, please seek some outside counseling, because it sounds as if you're in an unhealthy, controlling relationship.  Be safe.

Best Answer

Throw all of the junk food out. Don't allow it in your house at all, that way when the weekend rolls around, you won't have bad food to binge on.

Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer
0 Votes