Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water retention no matter what i do...

water fluctuations that cause some big water retention and I have no idea what is causing it or where the water is coming from tbh.

As a little experiment I even tried do a water only fast for a day to see if I could figure it out just to try eliminating the carbs/sodium reasoning behind fluid retention.

What I noticed is I would drink water through the day and I would piss like a racehorse... I would get temporary loss of the retained water but within an hour or so... the water retention/bloating would return and this is even without replacing the water I had urinated out... so I have no idea where this water is coming from lol!!

if I the bloating/retention disappears after many toilet visits and I don't drink any more water afterwards then where Is the water coming from that returns to cause me to bloat back up after a while ? some secret storage somewhere within the body?

you may be wondering how I notice it so dramatically, it basically goes on around the waist abs, chest and face and I know I'm retaining as jeans get tighter around waist and my chest area specifically nipples puff out due to water retention... any ideas ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Have U consulted a naturopath or doctor? I have some water retention because of menopause. I Peri menopause I had an enormous amount . I hate waking up with puffy eyes.

I drink spearmint tea, and cut up organic ginger in hot water and drink that and eat the ginger.

Sometimes if U dont have enough electrolytes U retain. U may not have enough salt or U could have to much. Try celery for the natural salt it doesnt cause retention but helps electrolytes. U can cook with it for flavor. If U are eating alot of prepared processed foods U are getting a lot of salt.

Hormones and sodium levels ( too much or not enough) cause water retention.  

U should also get a fasting glucose test. Insulin could be a problem.

excess sugar also causes retention.

hope that was helpful. U can search some info. on this on internet. I didnt know if I could put a link here. There are lists of what helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Carbs hold 2.7 grams of water per gram of carb. Excessive urination is common when people lower their carbs. The body is mostly water. If you still have carbs in your system and are not drinking water it’s likely going to pull in water that’s already in the body. If your bloating was caused by sodium, the water retention wouldn’t go away even though you stopped consuming added sodium. You need potassium to flush out sodium. If you aren’t eating enough vegetables you would not be getting enough potassium to flush out the excess sodium. Whatever you eat the day before is going affect the following day so you would likely not see much of a difference in one day.

Best Answer
Best Answer
0 Votes

I retain water like crazy too.I assume it comes from my food if it has too much sodium in it  in combination with my coffee consumption.So i keep the salt down by using No-Salt  salt substitute which is KCl and avoid high sodium foods .

I have found that eating vegetables like tomatoes,cauliflower,cabbage etc can make it disappear after a few days .

I have also started drinking tea made out of dandelion some mornings  .I buy larger size  bags of it from a chinese herbal medicine place in my local chinese superstore.

It does the trick.

Best Answer
0 Votes