Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eesh, 'Female' Health isn't very Trans-friendly!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love the idea of the new feature, but as a nonbinary individual I find the language very offputting! I'm sure other trans and nonbinary folks feel the same. If Fitbit is at all interested in being known as a trans-friendly and gender-inclusive app, this would be such a simple thing to fix, and would make a world of difference for so many people.

I emailed Fitbit about it but I thought I'd throw something in the forums as well, just in case anybody else has additional comments on it!

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

@Daisyfeathers Hello and Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Smiley Happy I'm happy to hear you're loving our newest feature. 

Thanks so much for joining in on the conversations here. We've received similar feedback on our Feature Suggestions board in this regard. Please vote and comment on the suggestion to show your support for it! This is the best way to share your thoughts with our Product Teams. We hope to see you there!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They did imply that they'd use trans-inclusive language in the press releases. I'm really bothered by this as well, and I'm cis. I'm also bothered that people reporting bugs in this forum are blown off and called "sweetie" or "you girls" by the Fitbit representatives. 

Best Answer

Hey @Calathea77, thanks for jumping in here! Sorry if you've found my responses offensive or rude at some point (I mean, when using "sweetie" or "girls"), I just wanted to clarify that this is not my intention in any way.

As @AlessFitbit mentioned, we've received similar feedback on our Feature Suggestions board in this regard. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. Please take a moment to visit! 

I appreciate your feedback overall, though. Smiley Wink 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I was pleased to see Fitbit's new "Female Health" option, since I believe the menstrual cycle can play a significant role in one's health, and it makes sense to include it. I was significantly less pleased to see its name. 

"Female Health" implies that periods are only a concern of women. However, this excludes trans, nonbinary, and other gender nonconforming users. Many people get periods who don't identify as female, and would want to use the tracking were it not for the misgendering.  For example, a trans man may get a period but not want to use a tracker that constantly reminds him that the world at large incorrectly assumes his reproductive organs make him female. There are also plenty of people who identify as female who don't get periods- young girls, older women, infertile women, trans women, active women, etc. 

Naming the tile "Female Health" also contributes to the stigmatization of periods. In this society, periods are considered personal and secret, despite their significance. By referring to a menstrual cycle exclusively as female health, it sends the message that periods are taboo enough that we won't refer to them even by name, but instead will call it equivalent to "female health". This implies that knowledge of periods is exclusively female- but men (and other genders) ought to know about them too. Aside from trans men who may get periods, there are men in relationships with people who get periods, or with family members who get periods, or with friends who get periods. Reducing the stigma around the menstrual cycle will diminish the misinformation people who menstruate face.

There are plenty of name options- "Menstrual Health" and "Period Tracking" are the two I can immediately come up with. I'm open to suggestions of any other names that do not call periods a female-only concern. I hope that FitBit community members and staff see this and agree, so this change can be implemented.

Best Answer

Hi @Sodapop000  

I suggest posting this in Feature Suggestions.  

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/idb-p/features

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Sodapop000, welcome on board! Have you followed @kawaiiko's advise?  We've received similar feedback on our Feature Suggestions board in this regard. Please vote and comment on the suggestion to show your support for it! This is the best way to share your thoughts with our Product Teams. We hope to see you there! Woman Wink

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree. Besides the erasing of non-cis people, it's also misleading to call this tile a health tracker when all it does is track menstruation. There's nothing on it about basal temperature, digestion, yeast infections, pregnancies, miscarriages, heat flush etc. 

Just call it a period tracker. That's what it is.

Best Answer

Is anything happening about this? I see this thread is from 2018 but it's still the same language now. I've just got a fitbit, and as someone who's non-binary this makes engaging in some elements very difficult. Particularly with having to choose between 2 sexes and then being shown my results to 'typical women' and 'female health'. I do work in trans & non-binary equality, and I've been really shocked at how behind Fitbit is in terms of gender-neutral language particularly on things like menstruation if you compare to Clue for example. Hopefully this gets sorted!

Best Answer

I am a trans person born with a male body transitioning to a female body   estrogen dominant   hrt for a few years now transitioning to feminine endocrine levels.     i think the "female health " app  is a good application to pair with fit bit no matter what it is called   .    I dont have a uterus nor ovaries, but it helps me keep track of my own dosage timing and yes , cycles .    The semantics of pronouns are mostly not offensive to me , especially when it comes to something like this app.  .  I think anything to do with estrogen developed reproductive organs and their associated functionality are fair game to be labeled "female" .       Same goes in reverse with testosterone developed reproductive organs such as the  testes that i still Lug around day after day . Trans women still need prostate exams , and that isnt usually going to happen at an obgyn.   I present and live  as a feminine presenting trans person who happens to have   male reproductive organs  - some parts of the natal body are hard to change with only hrt,   its there , it is what it is , and thats how i see it .     Doesnt make me any less of a woman.   period.  

Best Answer

Hi @RosieD92 It is now 2022 and things still haven't got much better in terms of gender inclusively in FitBit land.

Here is a Feature Suggestion board where we are asking FitBit to change their gender options to Male Female and Other as well as their gendered language.

We could sure use your support and reply to help influence the change.

Happy Pride!

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit Unfortunately asking for our votes and comments to make changes actually is kind of dangerous because it can "out" as as trans/non-binary folks or allies.

Each one of our votes should probably count for 5 people who can not comment because family or co-workers may see their comments and this could put them at risk for physical, verbal, psychological assaults and can lead to lack of financial stability. This is even more true when you examine the laws against transgender youth that are going through in some states.

Please be a good ally and create change so that non-binary people have a way to easy use FitBit without added feelings of dysphoria.

Happy Pride.

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit Unfortunately asking for our votes and comments to make changes actually is kind of dangerous because it can "out" as as trans/non-binary folks or allies.

Each one of our votes should probably count for 5 people who can not comment because family or co-workers may see their comments and this could put them at risk for physical, verbal, psychological assaults and can lead to lack of financial stability. This is even more true when you examine the laws against transgender youth that are going through in some states.

Please be a good ally and create change so that non-binary people have a way to easy use FitBit without added feelings of dysphoria.

This means having an Other section while choosing gender.

Here are my detailed reasons why and suggestions:

In Canada we have 3 options for our passports, driver’s licences, health cards and even birth certificates: “M,” “F,” and “X.”

If the Olympics are now able to regonize more that 2 genders and complete on a global scale, than so should FitBit. Just like the Olympics, we do not expect you to get it right on the first try, but to start taking steps in the right direction.

Here are the responses you are looking to in the FAQ section when trying to figure out if a feature should be changed or stay the same:

1 How clearly the Feature Suggestion is written

1. A) Please recognize gender diverse users by adding in a gender option where we are able to choose “other.” This may involve having both a “Gender” and a “Sex” question with a “M” “F” and “Other” option.
  2. B) Please use gender neutral language (e.g., like “people,” “persons”) if someone selects their gender as “other.”
  3. C) Please allow “Menstrual Health” to be an optional addition or subtraction for all users regardless of the “Gender” or “Sex” they select.

2 How many other community members agree!

This point should not apply to this suggestion because any community member who does agree does so at risk of being “outed” or receiving transphobia directed at them directly or indirectly… and no one wants transphobia to ruin their day or mood.

3 Scale of impact

In general, 1-4 % of people identify as intersex or gender diverse. In North America, about 42% of people directly know someone who is trans, or non-binary. This means when they see the “other” addition they will associate that change as FitBit being able to support their friend, sibling, college’s need… which could result in more gifts, recommendations and sales. The impact it would have on the other 50% or so of users is that they would be reminded that gender diverse people exist and have rights. This is a very important lesson to learn… especially in the over dozen countries where it is illegal to be trans*.

4 Scale of demand

Please refer to #2 and #3. You won’t know the demand until people have the ability to select that option.

5 How the Feature Suggestion might be distributed

It would go out with an upgrade. We have been waiting since 2018 for this change (4 years!), if you are luckily, we will be patient enough to wait for the next upgrade.

6 How much resource the Feature Suggestion will require to deliver

As a non-employee, I have no clue what size of team you will need. However, I do suggest that the team receives special training to understand the importance of their task and how to do it right. If you are concerned with the data, you should partner with larger Trans* Health organizations for support. Rainbow Health Ontario might be one place to start for both inclusive staff training and resources the team may need.

If you are worried about the “other” section messing up the data, don’t be. We “others” are already messing up your data through the limited options you give us. By including options that represent us more you are actually increasing your accuracy. As for the accuracy of the “other’s” when we look at our heart rates or suggested caloric diet… just make it a “Beta” feature with a warning that the data may be less accurate as you are not able to account for this time about hormones levels, etc., and that users should consult their doctors with any questions or concerns (etc.). Then increase the range of heart rate, caloric intake, etc to cover those of typical adults (in general) of certain ages/stages.

7 If the Feature Suggestion is for a specific product

No, it is for ALL products. (How grand… it impacts users of all devices!)

8 How the Feature Suggestion aligns with organizational priorities.

Well, by no acting on this change over the past 4 years kinds of suggests that FitBit’s philosophy aligns with the discrimination these lack of options have. I think that image would jump this issue to a priority.

But if we were to be looking at marketing, then you want to look at supporting future users. In many areas of the United States, up to 10% of youth identify as gender diverse. If you want their parents, grandparents, and the youth themselves to buy the product, then you better be able to serve their needs.

Happy Pride.

Best Answer