Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using their fitbit to improve health through Chronic illness

I have severe ME and Fibromyalgia, I have been mainly housebound and sometimes bedbound for the last 5 years. I have bought my fitbit to encourage movement and improve pain levels by trying to improve my muscle health. I have to start very slowly and am working with Oxford Pain clinic to rehabilitate my body. I will never be "normal" but I hope to be able to control my illness and do the best I can to gain some strength back.

Is anyone else using their fitbit in a similar wayCat Wink

Best Answer
155 REPLIES 155
Thank you! I've recently started swimming and it makes my whole body feel
better!
Best Answer

Hello young lady

Best Answer

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough
other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar

Best Answer

Hi my name is Helen, I  was reading some post and came past your what is  Lose It and how can I get it? If you don't mind giving me details on Lose It. I am new to the Fitbit Community.

Thanks

Helen Parker

Best Answer
I think I was just saying I lost my FitBit.
Best Answer

Long time ago but a lot has happened since then including flare-ups. I realise that focusing about sharing about one of the majour symptoms, fatigue, and some others that go under PEM without listing all the other symptoms might seem like it might just be fatigue, but I assure you that isn't the case. It was just that at the time was the biggest symptom that took the most noticable space in my life (not because the others were lacking). And also the easiest to explain without "oversharing" everything with strangers online while also introducing myself. Experiance showing that sharing too much distances people or even provokes them so was trying to avoid that.

Since last time, my health and function level has decreased, increased and decreased again etc as a result of the many symptoms of ME and increased severity. And must admit that it has mostly been a not so positive development as I had hoped for. But finally accepted that I need to use more aids. Better to have and use aids that contribute to some independence etc without having to be worse off. So I've found that a shower stool is a great thing especially with the muscleweakness, cramps, pains, dizzyness and lessening passing outs or vomiting from the nausea. An outdoor rullator and a wheelchair for the days those are needed to get about without making things worse or for the days it wouldn't be possible without. Invaluable tools but has been a bit of a mental workout to get used to especially with all the looks, comments from strangers and even adults pushing me over on purpose (yes, on purpose. Non-busy area with several meters clearing on each side of me yet they still aim for me and my rullator and push. Instead of saying sorry they turn around to give me the stink-eye). 

Despite all this, I'm hopeful that at some point it will turn for a little better again. In the meantime I try to enjoy the small victories and do what I can wothout pushing too far. But that's not allways a possible thing to do as part of the problem is the unpredictability X) But we do the best we can with what we got, right?!

As long as there is any fight left, don't ever give up! Keep in mind, this also means there has to be space for acceptance too.
Best Answer

I hope you feel better.but you got this! Take care of yourself!

--
Sincerely,

Emily Collins

Best Answer
Thank you and I understand. I speak for everyone on the fitbit community saying you are a light here.
All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement. This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. In compliance with federal law, McDowell County Schools administers all state-operated educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability, or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello to you Snowdrop i abide your idea about Oxford Pain clinic to rehabilitate my body......

Best Answer

Have you tried stretching the first thing in the morning, and lifting light weights, it works for me

Best Answer

In 2012 I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease and I immediately went on a strict gluten free diet. After a couple of years, I experienced what was originally diagnosed as Rheumatoid Arthritis. I also experienced peripheral neuropathy where I had numbness and unsteadiness in my feet, this caused me to fall and dislocate my shoulder.

My rheumatologist told me that my presentation was unusual in that the pains came in the evening rather upon rising which apparently is the norm. I was placed on the 'gold standard' treatment of Methotrexate and Prednisolone. Sadly, my symptoms didn't improve.

I discussed the possibility of my symptoms being related to what I was eating with my rheumatologist, as I seemed to get severe pains when I ate certain foods. Even though I didn’t fit the ‘normal’ pattern, he insisted I had RA. This is where my Fitbit comes in!

I was already recording everything I ate on my Fitbit app but for the last few years I have added ‘Foods’ which describe where in the body I was experiencing pains, i.e. Ache in left upper arm or Pain in knuckles of left hand. I built an MS Access database and imported all this data which I analysed.

From this analysis at first, I thought I had problems eating corn but on visiting a dietician he suggested it might be a wider problem with glutamates. Further analysis showed that I had problems with additives such as Xanthan Gum, modified starches and Carrageenan. All of these are very prevalent in processed gluten free foods to replace gluten.

Further research found that I was experiencing Glutamate Toxicity which was affecting my neurotransmitters and causing the numbness and the lack of co-ordination in my feet. I have modified my diet accordingly and I now experience no pains at all only when I perhaps accidentally eat one of my ‘problem’ foods. I continue to use my Fitbit app to record what I’m eating and the pains I experience.

I’m not quite sure why this has happened or why I experience pains when I eat these foods but with the help of my Fitbit app, I now know what foods I shouldn’t eat, and I no longer need to see a rheumatologist or take any medication. Thankyou Fitbit!

Best Answer

Hello this is my first post on a Fitbit Community Page.

I received a Hr Fitbit and have been a member since June 28 2018

it was suggested to me that I would get benefits from using a fitbit.

I have accomplished 444,855 steps , walked 187 miles and burned

off 152, 625 calories. re : 2018 review. I have accomplished more using

this fitbit than I think I would have walking without one. I find the texts

that I get from the fitbit very motivating

Best Answer

Range of motion exercises combined with body weight exercises. Check youtube on these two topics. 

Best Answer

Hi,

I use my Fitbit to improve my health through my Chronic Pain and to lose weight. I have had severe back issues since I fell down a flight of stairs 8 years ago. I have had 2 back surgeries, one knee replacement and a hip replacement all as a result of the fall and just found out 2 months ago that I now need another back surgery. In September I decided to really try harder with my Fitbit to increase my steps by walking and other things because I was told it may help my pain a bit and also help me to lose some weight before the surgery. It has been helping. I feel better. I am starting to go over 5,000 steps a day more and more now and since Oct 1, 2018 I have lost 15 lbs. I really had lost more but relented over the holidays and gained some so now it is really only 15 lbs when it was more like 26 lbs. That's okay. I'm back on track. I still have quite a bit of pain still but it is better than it was but most important is that I feel mentally and physically better since I started walking more instead of staying in bed and feeling sorry for myself. I also have Fibromyalgia and other health related conditions but I am determined to do better and better everyday. If anyone needs a fitbit friend please add me. I could use more. I only have one right now. Thanks!

Best Answer
I'm interested!
Best Answer

I am the same way!! I will feel good and then I will clean like crazy and not stop when I should and then for the next 2 days I am virtually bedridden. I'm learning though. I've gotten a lot better at pacing over the last 30 days and I feel much better!

Best Answer

Hello to you as well. 

Best Answer

I hope you feel better!

Best Answer
I have started lifting weights and using stretch bands and they have really helped me build more muscle.
Best Answer
That's good. Cardio is good too
Best Answer