Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Blog: Living with Diabetes by Melissa Servedio

kate-GBVRyE4PRLk-unsplash.jpg

Living with Diabetes - Melissa Servedio

I never imagined I would be living with a chronic disease, but that’s what happened. After going to the ER and spending almost a week in the hospital I was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 21. At first, my diagnosis was Type 2, but after a year or so and switching doctors, it was determined I had Type 1 diabetes and would be insulin-dependent. After initially trying to manage my diabetes with manual injections, giving myself shots multiple times a day, I made the decision to switch to an insulin pump. Technology has come a long way and I can’t imagine life without my insulin pump, or my continuing glucose monitor (CGM). I get real-time data sent to my pump from the CGM which makes managing my diabetes without it.

Living with diabetes made me make some big changes in my life. My nutrition was never something I was really on top of but being diagnosed with diabetes forced me into making changes, and that included trying new food. Gosh, I don’t think I had a salad before getting diagnosed! Slowly though, I started to make those changes. It took quite a few years, but I can say now I am truly living my healthiest and fittest life. I had to learn to really cook, meal prep and plan for my nutrition. I also had to get active again, on a regular basis. I have achieved both of those things in big ways.

Managing diabetes takes a lot of work though. I check my blood sugar (**ahem** my finger) multiple times again. Before meals, after meals, when my CGM needs to be calibrated. Sometimes I have to check it multiple times in the middle of the night, super annoying. I have to count carbs before meals to tell my insulin pump how much I’ll be eating, and make sure I take insulin at least 10-15 min before I eat, if not, my blood sugar will skyrocket. Then there’s also trying to manage my blood sugar when I exercise. Some exercises cause it to rise, while others cause it to drop. Then of course comes the changing of my insulin pump supplies. I have to change the infusion site, where the insulin enters my body, every 3 days. I change my CGM once a week. I have to refill my insulin pump as well every few days. Then there’s the blood work prior to doctor’s appointments and keeping up with those as well as the ordering of all my supplies.

Sound like a lot? It is. However, my diabetes is managed well. I have incredible support from my medical professionals, friends, and family, and I have no complications. It’s work, every day, but I like to say I’m kicking diabetes butt. I meal prep on the weekends, workout almost daily before work, and there’s nothing I can’t do, because of having diabetes. I’ve lost 55lbs in the past 2.5 years and gained so much else in the meantime. I love using my Fitbit to track my exercises daily, as well as track my runs, (running is something I’m working on getting better at as well). To anyone living with a chronic disease, don’t give up. Keep going, anything is possible. You can live your best life!

--

Please note that content published here is written by Fitbit Community members and does not reflect any opinions or official positions of Fitbit. The Community Blog entries are published as submitted and are not edited for grammatical or other accuracy. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@melissaservedio  your attitude is wonderful. It's nice to see someone tackle diabetes head on. So you've made friends with salad? It's more than dry leaves and oil, isn't it? Thanks for sharing this. It no doubt will resonate with many members on the forums. No matter what the diagnosis, we can learn to live our best lives, if we just keep going and don't stop believing for the best.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thank you so much!  This means so much!  Yes I really do enjoy salad now.  But we can most definitely live our best lives - one day at a time!

Best Answer

health is wealth

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have diabetes type 2, I have tested running , elliptical, stairmaster , cycling indoor , swimming , stepper, and so on , the best for lowering blood sugar, is WALKING , one hour of walking , I got from 160 to 80 , 

GN
Best Answer
Nice
😀
Best Answer
0 Votes

if anyone has facebook i got a diabetes type 1 sucks that mine feel free to join it run by me and my boyfriend we been updating every now or then but i would like to on what you're thought of it mins type 1 ive got its not fun by having so many lows after having highs 

Best Answer

Hitting medicare next month.  Turning 65 with diabetes and want to turn up the gas on the next year.  I'm pretty good at getting my 5 mi about 5 or 6 days a week.  Mostly walking my dog any tips to make it a good 2021.   COVID may continue well into the year so my gym and pool are closed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@melissaservedio thanks for sharing with us your experience with this disease and for being an example of strength to all the people that are fighting against the diabetes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, any advice

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

How can I help 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What has been your experience with Fitbit and diabetes?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for writing about Diabetes. This is very important to share.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Meyerslove147let me give you a warm welcome to our Community! 😊

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics. @Banderson2263, if you need help managing your blood sugar levels, recently launched in the Fitbit app, blood glucose tracking helps to manage your blood glucose levels by logging or importing your levels and seeing your trends all in one place. For more information, please check: 

How do I log health information in the Fitbit app?

Note that this feature is only available to users in US. 

@melissaservedio, thanks for your willingness to help! 😁 @bitsANDbites00, I agree with you, this is an interesting topic!

Have a great day! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Banderson2263glucose is not available, yes I have updated app and live outside of USA. Should tell people that

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for including me
Best Answer
0 Votes

@bitsANDbites00, thanks for your feedback! 

I have edited my comment to reflect that the Glucose tracking was launched to users in US only. I appreciate your help! 

@Banderson2263, it's a pleasure! 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in the US, have updated software on my moto one 5g. I tried force closing the app. I also did the today/edit and went to Discover/health and fitness stats, NO TILE TO ADD. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Bug53, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community!

This is very odd. The tile should appear after you tap on Discover tab > Health & Fitness Stats > Blood Glucose and complete onboarding.

I noticed that you have a case with our Support Team and they have provided assistance. Since you have received assistance from them, my best recommendation is to wait for a resolution. 

Have a great day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

They told me to delete the app. and reload, no tile.
I let them know , no feedback.

Thanks,

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer