Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Blog: What is anxiety? By Claire Kobylecka

imani-clovis-L1kLSwdclYQ-unsplash.jpg

What is Anxiety? - Claire Kobylecka

Do you suffer from anxiety?

Anxiety is a very common condition, and in these troubled times perhaps you’re in the minority if you don’t experience some symptoms. But that doesn’t mean we should just accept it.

I couldn’t define what anxiety is until I knew more about it. I use the word ‘stressed’ a lot to describe how I’m feeling. Even before COVID-19 blew up beneath us, my messages to friends often referred to ‘nightmares’ at work, counting down to ‘wine o’clock’, and feeling like a ‘hamster on a wheel’ as I juggled the demands of my three small kids, husband, pets, and an over-demanding boss.

In these days of lockdown, sometimes I don’t even know how to describe how I’m feeling.  And I haven’t shared it outside this blog either. That’s because it makes me feel guilty  how can my situation even come close to that of carers and medics, those who have lost loved ones or those, who are all alone? 

I feel like I should count my blessings right now. I’m still working from home. Whilst my husband’s personal training business has had to close there’s no wolf at the door just yet.  The kids are safe and happy. But still, there is that awful tightness in my chest, like someone is sitting on my lungs and my heart beats so fast I think it might explode. It often happens in the night as I wake up with doomsday thoughts swirling through my mind.  Other times it appears like a mugger in the daytime, accompanied by a sinking stomach like I’m on a theme park ride. Relaxing doesn’t come easy to me. If I’m not busy I feel I’m wasting the day. I’m often irritable. But I’ve always considered these personality traits rather than symptoms.

I started to research what anxiety is and what causes it and I soon discovered it is a huge field. The NHS (National Health Service) defines anxiety as ‘A feeling of unease that can be mild or severe’. It acknowledges that ‘everyone has feelings of anxiety at some point in their life’. There are several anxiety disorders and symptoms can be very wide-ranging – mirroring those I have experienced but stretching further – here are some as defined by Mental Health UK:

• Racing thoughts
  • Uncontrollable over-thinking
  • Difficulties concentrating
  • Heightened alertness
  • Changes in appetite
  • Wanting to escape from the situation you are in
  • Dissociation (feeling like you aren’t connected to your own body, watching things happen around you without feeling it)

Mind quotes an estimated 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health disorder each year. And Mental Health UK estimates 8 million people or 1 in 10 of the population will be living with an anxiety disorder at any one time. Amongst this sobering data, I found a positive message. No one should feel alone with these feelings.

For me, when I reflect on my feelings, I have tried to self- medicate in various ways.  A few glasses of wine have definitely made me feel better until I’ve woken up thirsty and panicky.  A long walk with my family has definitely eased my mind, as has some exercise at home. The thing these all have in common is that they give me a distraction.  Looking at the science, it seems they also all release endorphins into the brain, inducing feelings of well- being.

The NHS has a very useful section on its website giving suggestions about things that might work for you. For example, challenging your thoughts and understanding the root cause of your anxiety. There is also a range of relaxation techniques. Just Google ‘NHS anxiety’. I think exercise in any form is also a great way forward. You’ll be boosting your overall health and resilience at the same time.

As for myself, I’m going to take my own advice and explore these options some more, and try and increase my daily steps and activity. I’m going to stop worrying about what my boss thinks about my mid-afternoon walk or time away from my laptop because I’ll still make my deadlines. I’ve also taken the first step by opening up about my feelings. I’d encourage you to do the same; you’re definitely not alone.

--

Please note that content published here is written by Fitbit Community members and does not reflect any opinions or official positions of Fitbit. The Community Blog entries are published as submitted and are not edited for grammatical or other accuracy. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Very well-written! 
No matter how powerless or out of control you may feel, it’s important to know that there are many things you can do to overcome anxiety. Avoid smoking, alcohol, and caffeine. Medication can be used to temporarily control or reduce some of the symptoms of anxiety, it doesn’t treat or resolve the problem. Medication is most effective when combined with other treatments, such as therapy and lifestyle changes, that address the underlying causes of anxiety. The most effective form of professional treatment for anxiety is therapy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy and Exposure therapy for panic disorder.

Best Answer
0 Votes