Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog Eating Fitbit

I have a small, generally non-destructive young dog who found and chewed my first Fitbit within 2 months of me being given it for my birthday. I was kindly given a new Fitbit for Christmas which survived just 3 months before destruction by dog! Aaargh, this is an expensive hobby!! So I am wondering if anyone else has suffered similar canine problems? I also wonder if the Fitbit emits some sort of high frequency sound, inaudible to humans but inviting to dogs??
Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Fortunately not happened to me!  It will be interesting though to sync the dog while the battery lasts. Maybe you find like 500 000 steps a day 🙂

Best Answer

I have not. But she does like to kiss it while I'm wearing it. I think it's the material and the texture. Some consistent, firm training is in order. My dog is trained that when I make a certain sound, she stops whatever she's doing. Eventually your dog should realize that the Fitbit is NOT a toy!

I'm an ecommerce and online business consultant who sits most of the day. Getting off my butt with a Fitbit Flex since 12/2014.
Best Answer
I like your thinking! That would certainly improve my step count! Fortunately though she did not actually swallow the Fitbit, merely chewed it to death 😕

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I love dogs, however, they can be a bit naughty. Robot wink I'm glad your dog is ok though.

Have a great rest of the week.

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you Melissa x

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any jewelry and especially my FitBit gets put safely away as soon as I take it off. We have cats that prowl the counters and will flip anything interesting onto the floor. Plus two dogs...I would err on the side of caution. If a dog did swallow the device it would be expensive getting it removed, nevermind having to buy a new device too.

Best Answer

I heard of a dog who ate a Fitbit One and who knows how, the silent alarm started vibrating and the dog was jumping all around. At the end, fortunately the dog survived without any scratch. Smiley Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
I think I must clarify that my dog did not swallow either Fitbit, she simply chewed them both, very slightly, which killed the Fitbit, and thankfully not the dog!

My point is that it makes me suspect there is something going on that we are unaware of, ie. that the Fitbit emits, perhaps, a high frequency sound that appeals to, or irritates a dog's senses? Apart from the odd shoes or slippers, my dog is not generally a great chewer, but two Fitbits in close succession.....??

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JoReyno that's a good observation. I also found that dogs are very curious when it comes to things that shine or have lights. My little dog "Minnie" loves to chew on that type of objects. Robot wink

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mcore That's true, dogs are really curious and and they are always looking for shiny and small things. My aunt's dog didn't ate my Fitbit but My husband's watch. Smiley Frustrated

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Same thing happened to my BRAND NEW charge..!!! mine only lasted 3 WEEKS, though.. SO depressing! -someone suggested that the cause for my doggie's interest probably had to do with it being salty and 'smelly'. (Does your pup 'steal' and chew socks and undies as well..? mine has ruined probably a dozen pairs of EACH!) Anyhoo.. if the damage was purely cosmetic i'd gladly still wear mine, but unfortunately my little beagle's chompers totally destroyed the screen and all..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh my! I'm so sorry this has happened to your Charge Smiley Sad

In this case, I recommend to contact our Customer Support team any time at http://contact.fitbit.com or by calling (877) 623-4997 between the hours of 4am-8pm PST Mon-Fri and 6am-5pm PST on weekends. I'm sure they will be glad to provide further assistance Smiley Very Happy

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck Cat Wink

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Edson wrote:

I heard of a dog who ate a Fitbit One and who knows how, the silent alarm started vibrating and the dog was jumping all around. At the end, fortunately the dog survived without any scratch. Smiley Very Happy

Oh my god that poor dog!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

in my case, i think dogs just like fitbits like other rubber stuff they can see because they found it chewy just like some snickers, shoes, etc. You just need to find a good place to keep your fitbit if not in use or put it in a box or area where your dog can't reach.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im almost convinced my Kelpie can hear my fitbit, hes always trying to get at it

Best Answer
0 Votes

You may be on to something. I adopted a cat this week, and he's kind of settled in now. Since yesterday, whenever he comes near my Fitbit wrist he just starts attacking it, biting it and trying to get his claws into it. I found your post because I was googling the same thing. I reckon it is emitting something that's very annoying to animals. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine just ate my sons. Good to know I’m not the only one. Ugh 😑

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm really glad all your pets are ok. However, on seeing the topic, I could not help but think about all the free steps you might get until the battery faded. ;D

Best Answer
0 Votes