Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epsom Salts Dangerous?

I was looking for a natural/inexpensive way to manage sore muscles. I read that an Epsom Salt bath was both effective and safe for sore muscles. I used the minimum amount of salts in my bath. I only took one bath using Epsom Salts. I believe the bath was around 20 minutes.

What I discovered

Epsom Salts really do absorb through the skin (I swear I could feel it absorbing)

Epsom Salts are an extremely effective laxative and should not be used at all unless you are severely constipated. I wasn't constipated when I used them. I have had diarrhea for 3 days, coupled with bad stomach cramps.

The bath itself made me rather nauseous and very sleepy

What I did not know and is very important if you are considering using Epsom Salts they lower blood pressure and if you have low blood pressure as I do, you probably should not use them.

If you are constipated with high blood pressure they might work wonders.

Has anyone else had a negative reaction to Epsom Salts? How long was it before your digestive system returned to normal? Your blood pressure?

I don't take any sources of extra magnesium btw. I did not ingest Epsom Salts, I simply absorbed them in the bath.

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I also find they can be potent! 

I havent had the number 2 problem with them though.

I dont have a tub I take shower baths (have a drain plug n qll) normally to tell you the truth and they dont impact me when I do that. 

but once in awhile I'll go to my parents and have a bath bring my salts cuz they have a nice jet tub and everything. And woo I cant take it very ling I feel hot, tired, so relaxed I try to stay in as ling as u can mostly.

Afterwards i get out feel so tired,whipped, i have to sit down for awhile and just today I got shakey...and i didnt even exercise moderately even today, just walked the dog. 

They must draw toxins out. Have you tried different brands of epsoms? Maybe has something to do with that, never know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just came on the Internet to look up whether Epson salt baths can cause severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. And when I say severe I mean doubled over all day. The last time I had this pain I thought it was a gallstone attack! As I am reviewing what I ate and drank before this happened both times,  I realize that both times I had had an Epson salt bath for about two hours,  the night before the pain and diarrhoea started.

Best Answer
0 Votes