Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit devices as a biofeedback tool

I'm interested in using the fitbit to increase physical fitness, but I'd also like to use it to monitor the effects of stress and deep relaxation/meditation on my system, like a biofeedback unit.  (I'm a little surprised that there's no body temperature tracking on the Charge HR or any of the fibit models.)

I wonder if anyone else has advice on or interest in using it in that capacity.  For instance, my first meditation session while wearing a fitbit was automatically logged as sleep.  I can see I'll need to tweak things a little as I learn. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @SunsetRunner

Feel free to add your suggestion to the subforum Feature Requests where users can vote, add comments with the possibility of being picked up by the developers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also using it as a biofeedback tool! 

Best Answer

My main hope with the fitbit charge hr was to use it to become more mindful.  I'd hoped to have the HR displayed all the time, or to get a vibration when HR spiked without much physical movement - as a self-check to relax, breathe, become more mindful.  Biofeedback is very powerful for mental and physical health!

Best Answer
I am also using my Fitbit as way to monitor my HR. If my HR spikes I know to slow down and try to control my HR and breathing. For the most part I have been able to lower my overall HR over the past year. When I first started using my Surge, my HR would spike during a particular area of my walk and I would make a note of the time and place. Now a year later, I am doing the same area, at the same speed, with no change in HR. I am even starting to do mountain hikes with my Daughter.
Best Answer

I would also be interested in an app like this, a biofeedback app that could help with relaxation.

For example, if an app were made that produced and audible tone linked to the pulse, with the tone’s pitch lowering or raising in line with the Lower jag and raising heart rate. This could provide feedback to the user, who can then learn to lower the tone and thus their heart rate consciously. 

I used to have a device that did something like this, years ago, but it only worked off the conductivity of the palm of the hands. As conductivity decreased, and stress lowered, the tone the device produced would get lower.

Having something like this that linked to pulse would be great.

Best Answer