Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in resting heart rate

ANSWERED

Hi,

I've been doing loads more exercise lately, and my resting heart rate has increased quite a lot. I thought it would go down? Or is this because my heart rate is generally higher due to the exercise so my resting heart rate seems higher? Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

"Can anyone explain this to me?"....How much time do you have? 

So many factor come in to play. 

Lets eliminate false readings first, what tracker are you using and how are you wearing it?  Some Fitbits are more reliable and stable than others.  For example, the old Charge HR was very prone to erratic readings as soon as perspiration occurred. You might want to invest in a good Bluetooth strap monitor like a Polar or Wahoo.  You can use these to verify your Fitbit data when extremes are observed.  You can also measure Heart Rate Variability, which can provide insight into your cardio and nervous system makeup, search for HRV.

Hitting 180 bpm while just walking is unusual.  But HR is impacted by psychologic factors, just thinking about something that moves you can cause this.  Try looking at a plot of your HR while you are sleeping, it can go from below RHR to over 100 in seconds. Pay attention to your breathing, over-ventilating increases HR. If you are huffing and puffing, stress hormone secretion kicks in (survival reflex), you may be very sensitive to this.  Use breathing techniques to mitigate.

You should not be concerned about reaching fat-burning zone from low activity.  Very normal, my HR goes from 60s to 80s just from standing up (we are very close in age btw).  Humans are made to live in FBZ unless you have exceptional heart and lung function like Lance Armstrong.  Primitive people spent every waking minute in motion, just to survive.  Even our grandparents lead much more active lives than us.  Sedentary living is a very recent development for our biology.

Your final observation is why I found this topic.  I have always wondered why my RHR varies on a fairly regular basis over a two week period.  From low 60s to high 60s.  It may be normal bio-rhythms (hormonal cycles, activity levels, stress levels, sleep quality, response to diet), environmental (barometric, lunar), or, immune system response to allergies and viruses.  I think previously mentioned hydration is a strong contributing factor.  Being under high pressure at work or in your personal life definitely elevates RHR. 

Bottom line is it may be entirely normal for many of us and we are only discussing it because we now have bio-metric tools at our disposal to be aware of it.  Either way inquiring minds want to know.

It would be nice if Fitbit added RHR values to the Exportable Data Set.  It could then be plotted against caloric data, activity, and sleep data to establish possible correlations over time.

Thanks for sharing your experience and keep doing what you are doing, because it is working.

Best Answer

It looks like my thanks and response to @hawkeye7 @disappeared. I will rewrite a little later. All good info. But not much there that I haven’t done or considered. It is the somewhat cyclical but irregularity of the “elevated” days of insomnia and raised RHR that remain a puzzle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am really struggling with this! I went to the doctor, and they showed no concern.  Over a matter of two weeks, my resting heart rate has increase over 20 beats per minute. I’m not sick. I exercise 5-6 days a week, high intensity.  No diet changes, and it has increased from 50-71.

Best Answer

I'mot sure how many doctors may be on this thread. 

Over work or over exercising can be a reason for an increase in RHR

Best Answer
0 Votes

you probably have adrenal fatigue.if you have adrenal fatigue you have pots that makes your heart increase when standing up.

to fix that it takes some months but you cant exercise or do stressfull things and you have to eat healthy, vitamins c and b, more water and salt, magnesium,potassium,iron. and eating alot of carbohydrates can increase your heart rate if you have adrenal fatigue

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anybody who is concerned about their RHR should contact their doctor. 

This thread is not for giving out detail medical advice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced something similar.
I went to the doctor before posting on the community. They were not
concerned as my elevated resting heart rate is still in the normal range.

I just know my body, and I knew something was going on. I actually
figured out what it was. I was pregnant, but it was not viable.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@KatCraftover the last few years there have been several reports in the news of a husband figuring out or wife finding out that they where pregnant through their Fitbit. 

Congrats! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think there may have been a change in the apps algorithm for determining rhr. The reason I say this is I last wore my Fitbit in August and my rhr was always stated as low 60s , usually between 60 and 63 ...i put it back on just the other day and after one day it said my rhr was 70 ...and it's now been at 70 for the past few days although comparing the readings throighout the day from when it was low 60s to now there is barely any difference. Certainly not enough for a 10 beat jump anyways.

Best Answer

Your resting heart rate should be taken at rest, sitting and resting. Use a watch and count your carotid pulse. Use the index and middle finger in the groove alongside the adams apple. Right hand right side of neck. Count your carotid pulse for 1 minute. Rest for several minutes. Recount for 1 minute. Average.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20791648/max-heart-rate/

Best Answer

Mine was at 61 at Christmas (when I got my Versa Lite for the first time) then my first tracker malfunctioned and FitBit sent me a replacement and then I started walking a lot this last weekend as well as this week after it came in and then it went down to 60, then 59, now it’s at 57, my question is is that normal? Being as I had an open heart surgery at 10 days old I wanted to make sure I’m in a safe range.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A low resting heart rate should mean that your heart muscle is strong. You can pump the amount of blood you need in fewer beats.

Best Answer
0 Votes

CA78883A-C6CA-4BB4-BE8E-75E82CF626C8.png

my RHR had initially went from 61 when I first got my Versa lite on Christmas to 60 then my first tracker malfunctioned so Fitbit sent me a replacement then my RHR dropped to 59 then dropped to 57 then went back up to 58 and I’m a 30 y/o male. I’ve been trying to increase my exercise a lot lately since last weekend when my replacement came in. Could that be why mine dropped so sudden?

Best Answer
0 Votes

As mentioned above, exercise will build up the heart, resulting in a lower RHR. However it is normal for the RHR to vary from day to day since other factors like the amount of sleep, nerves, worries, concearns, injuries, pain, etc may affect the RHR. I doubt this is the case but over exercising will also raise the RHR. 

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue So I should be fine? I’m only asking because I was born 13 weeks early with Cerebral Palsy and weighed 1 lb 15 oz at birth and had a Open Heart Surgery for a PDA at 10 days old. So I’m wanting to make sure I’m not putting myself in danger

Best Answer
0 Votes

I, nor anyone else here, is qualified to answer this and a doctor really should not answer without a consultation. 

If you are concerned then you really should reach out to your doctor. 

Best Answer

I don't think 1 or 2 beats is a big change. Your heart rate can vary by sitting or standing, emotional state, sickness, body temperature, meds you may be taking, etc. Check at the same time of day, sitting still for the same amount of time when you check. You can check for an entire minute or 20 seconds and multiply by 3, or 15 seconds and multiply by 4. You could compare these times. Rest before you retake.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Resting heart rate is taken at rest. Sit in a chair for 5 or 10 minutes and then take your pulse. Exercising heart rate will give you a much higher result. You can calculate your maximum heart rate. Heart rate max will help you determine how hard your workout should be. Going beyond max repeatedly may be causing your resting heart rate to increase.

Best Answer