Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in resting heart rate

ANSWERED

Hi,

I've been doing loads more exercise lately, and my resting heart rate has increased quite a lot. I thought it would go down? Or is this because my heart rate is generally higher due to the exercise so my resting heart rate seems higher? Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

Hi Fitbit,

My RHR has also jumped for no apparent reason in the last few weeks other than I swapped from using a Charge HR to a Charge 2. Previously readings on the Charge HR were consistently 56-59 for the 18 months I wore it other than a couple of times when I was ill. . Since changing to the Charge 2 the readings are jumping up and down between 61-64. This has made me worried but I had wondered if it might be a software issue. Seeing that all these other people experiencing similar does make it seem a bit of a coincidence. Have you investigated the Charge 2 / software / update possibility to be sure?

P.S I've done all the recommended settings, adjustments, restarts, etc. and even got a new one. It hasn't made a difference.

@HeydyF wrote:

Hey guys! I hope you are doin' great! 

@Selma8, I appreciate you have shared those images with us. I'd like to explain you that, my resting heart rate also varies sometimes, but this is just for a few days, even if I don't change my exercise routine, for example, but remember that there are some days when even if we don't feel it, we are under a little bit more of pressure and stress and that could be reflected on our resting heart rate. 

On the other side, sounds pretty nice that your results are getting normal again. If you have further questions or comments, keep me posted. 😉 

@Star87, as I previously mentioned, I'd like you to take into consideration some factors that may be affecting your resting heart rate in this post. Also, if you could review these wear tips, it'll be great, because the way you wear your Charge 2, affects your results. If none of them apply in your case, then I would suggest you to perform a restart of your Charge 2, use it for a few days and let me know how it goes! 

@AbbieO, maybe you have been through some stressful situations lately and as I previously mentioned, that could also affect your resting heart rate. You could also perform a restart of your Charge 2 by following these instructions, wear it for a few days and see how it goes. 😉 

Have a nice day, guys! 

Best Answer

Medication, dehydration, emotions, pregnancy, not enough sleep, air temperature, body position, recovery rate from over training, this doesn't sound like it applies.

Is it something to be concearned about, carefull now - being concearned could cause it to rise, probably not.but keep an eye on it of course a conversation with your physician may set you at ease.

Best Answer

I am having a similar experience. My Fitbit showed me that my RHR could be better. So I said "okay I'm going to do cardio every day and fix this!" And a couple weeks later it increased by 7! WTF? But apparently this is normal. The increase is likely linked to some recent stress and the fact that I'm sleeping less (waking up early to get my cardio in before work). Lowering your RHR takes several months of habitual exercise, so it's too early to see the benefits. Just keep it up!

Best Answer

You may not be allowing your body enough recovery time. 

Best Answer

Mine looks pretty much just like that right now & that's what brought me here. I did recently over-exert myself (to the point of practically passing out) & I also got really low on sodium. I think that's what's up with mine. 

Best Answer

I noticed this happening with my resting heartrate. I looked at the log for 3 months and noticed it rises to 69/70 beats each month and then falls back to about 61. The graph is wavy.

Luckily I also have an app to log my monthly cycles, and so I can see that it is related. My resting heartrate reaches its highest a week before my cycle begins and then shoots down over that week. 

I wonder have other ladies found this correlation?

Best Answer

One thing I'd like to mention is to not underestimate stress. I went on holiday and my heart rate went down 8/10 beats. 

The day I got into the plane to get back home and went back to work, my heart rate increased back to what it was.

There is a range that is considered safe and as long as people are in that range they shouldn't worry.

Best Answer

Hi ya’ll, 

been reading through your messaging trying to find an explanation to my rearing heart rate. As many of you already commented is mine higher ont he says when I’m more active. And it’s alao gone up quite a bit and down etc. 

However, the reading is Always higher than the actual heart beat, especially in the morning. How is it calculated? 

It shows that my RH is 68 and then it shows current rate at 62 for example. All the time. Shouldn’t it go down to 62 in that case? Isn’t that how testing heart is measured? I’ve tried all your tips and tricks and how to wear it and restart and all that. 

Thanks!

Best Answer

@ChaoticPancakes yes my HR is linked to my monthly cycle and always starts creeping up in the second half of the month, then starts dropping when my period starts and reaches its lowest a couple of days later before starting to creep back up.  Also it's affected by lack of sleep / recovery time.

Allie
Best Answer

@NinaBengtsson it's calculated by the average RHR over previous however long (could be 24 hours, not sure), including when you're asleep. In certain stages of sleep your RHR is higher which affects the average.

Allie
Best Answer

Hello all -- I had a similar condition and tracked it to my hydration.   As you become dehydrated, your blood volume is lower, so your heart-rate must increase to deliver the same amount of oxygen and energy, so I've read.   

Best Answer

So this thread is interesting! My RHR has always been in the low 60's (I've been a Fitbitter since they VERY first came out and I've almost owned all devices). Now it's in the high 60's - low 70's. This just happened over the past 2 or 3 months. I JUST had a perfect EKG done 2 months ago so my heart is fine. Wonder if there was an update between September 16th and September 17/18th. That's when my RHR started to climb. I also went from the Charge 2 to the Ionic and the readings have been similar. Sept. 16th RHR was 63. Next day 65 and then 66. I'm ok with a little fluctuation but then on September 24th it goes to 70. It's never been that high. It's been in the high 60's low 70's ever since. 

I have replaced the band on my arm and will see how that helps. I don't know what else to do but it's great to know that others are having this issue and I'm not going crazy!

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Charge 2, Ionic (current)
Best Answer

Mine was 61 on August 22. Then, on August 27th it jumped to 67. Now it's in the low 70's. Mine has ALWAYS been in the low 60's or high 50's. Not sure what's going on. 😕

Best Answer

This was really interesting.  My RHR has gone up everyday the last week and I now think it’s due to lack of sleep and being a bit run down. 

Best Answer

I got some Yogi bedtime tea and mine is 67 today. Sleep may be my issue too but it has always been in the low 60s.

Best Answer

illness can cause an increase, the change can happen days before symptoms show. a friend also suspects her resting heart rate increases roughly the same time each month. she suspects its a womanly thing but hasnt tried to confirm t yet.

Best Answer
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It’s been rising slowly over the
last few weeks and today it’s dropped by 4.
Best Answer

I have recently moved from the charge 2 to the Ionic and found an increase in my RHR as well. I am doing a bit more exercise and suffering a cold at the minute so will be interesting to see if it returns to normal once my cold has gone 

Best Answer

Yes, I have found the same relationship with my menstrul cycle. It raises the week before menstruation, then decreases dramatically (4-6 beats per minute) once my cycle starts. 

Best Answer

My resting heart rate was between 60-62 for almost a year, then changed my workout 10’days ago adding more cardio and weight training only taking 15-30 seconds between sets instead of 45-60. Last 10 days my resting heart rate moved up almost daily currently 68. 

Best Answer