Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost sense of taste after surgery

I really don't know which subject to put this under, but "Body and Mind" seems somewhat appropriate.

So here's the thing: I have lost all sense of taste since undergoing general anesthesia for laparoscopy  surgery.  Or rather, everything tastes about the same...bitter. And yukky.
(And while lack of taste is a symptom of having Covid, I assure you I do not!)

I thought this lack of taste was weird, since there was nothing in the patient warning information that indicated this could happen. And most doctors apparently aren't aware this happens.

So I did some research...and found scientific papers that revealed about 2% of the population will have this reaction to the use of Propofol-based general anesthesia. 

Lucky me...

I am in the 2nd week of recovery from surgery and hope at some point this strange effect will wear off so I can enjoy a cup of coffee again! So if anyone has had this happen, please let me know how long I will have to wait to get back to normal taste again! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

Hi @AnnTH seeing your post, I checked searched and saw all kinds of articles about this. The few I skimmed say it varies from a few weeks to a few months, so you might need to wait a bit before your sense of taste returns. Not sure if this offers any hope, but a friend of mine had surgery years ago (no idea what anesthesia was used) and lost the ability to taste food. It helped to change what was being eaten and it seemed to help. One week french dressing on a salad tasted good and the next week it didn't taste right. Textures seemed to help my friend and it lasted a month or so. My friend eventually regained the sense of taste, but said nothing tasted better than that first chef salad with french dressing! You'll find something that makes you feel as though you're on the road to tasting and enjoying again. Start trying one different thing tonight - some combination or spice that might appeal to you. Let us know how things go for you. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

@AnnTH I've had numerous surgeries over the years. I've never lost my sense of taste, but I do find that things taste strange afterwards. That generally seems to last a few weeks or maybe a month for me. I hope your experience is similar and this situation starts to improve for you soon. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer

Thanks! I hope you are correct.

I'll be having a check-up doctors appointment soon. It will be interesting if she knows anything about this phenom.

Best Answer

Thanks for the encouragement. I've surgeries before with general anesthesia, but never has this happened.

The only time I lost a sense of taste was when I purchased a really strong mouthwash under the theory that if a little astringent does a little good then a lot does better. That apparently burned the taste buds and it was 6 months before I lost the salty taste in my mouth!

Best Answer

Hi @AnnTH - My loss of taste seemed to have nothing to do with surgery or Covid. Several years ago, I was hospitalized with sepsis and was very sick. During that time, I lost my sense of taste. Luckily, about 50% came back. Then last fall, I got sick with internal shingles. Two tests ruled out Covid. But unfortunately, I lost most of the remaining 50% and only about 10% has returned. It’s been a year and they tell me it is not likely to return. Some things taste terrible - anything carbonated, cinnamon. But for everything else, I’ve developed a few tricks that may help you for now. 

- I’ve learned to appreciate texture which, in turn, can make eating pleasurable.

- Mustard and Vinegar are my best friends. A dash of extra vinegar on a salad or in soup allows me some taste. Mustard can go on sandwiches and in many recipes. It makes things taste better and, in some cases, adds flavor to something that previously had none. 

- I love coffee but could not taste it!! We bought a new Keurig that has an extra strong setting Then I add a dash of cocktail bitters to my coffee. I’m back to enjoying my morning coffee. 

Finally, always look for the silver lining, even if it is hopefully temporary for you. With a lack of taste, I find it much easier to stick to a healthy diet. Why bother eating something that does not taste good? I’ve learned to live with this condition. 

Best Answer

This summer I lost my senses of taste and smell; was it from surgery or COVID, or both?  Unknown.  In July I was rushed to our friendly neighborhood ICU after having been attacked by two 150+ pound dogs and needed surgery to sew my leg back together; a week or so later I realized, in the midst of everything else I was dealing with, I'd lost my senses of smell and taste at some point since the attack.  Then a few weeks later I was diagnosed with my second case of COVID.  Long story short, I've had neither of these key senses since mid to late July,  however, I do have bitter metallic "yukky" taste sensations, which as I understand it is an encouraging sign of your senses trying to reassert themselves.

Best Answer

I have nothing to add besides encouragement. This too shall pass. In the meanwhile, experiment with all the things you never would have tried because you didn't think you would like them. You may not get the actual taste, but maybe the texture or just to say you did will help things be less yucky. who knows maybe you'll have a breakthrough during an experiment and wish you didn't 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili, serious LOL, some of those very same thoughts have gone through my head, however, try as I might, I just cannot seem to get anything containing eggplant past my teeth, just ain't going to happen.  😛 

Best Answer

@shipo you are missing out!! It is one of my favorite things!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL, I know lots of folks love it, every time I've tried, even when I didn't know what it was, I was like, "Ewww, okay, what's next?"  😛

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello!

I had a craniotomy done about a month ago. It didn't involve surgery of the olfactory system, which is the area of the brain that deals with sense of smell and taste. After the surgery, I've lost most of my sense of taste, and my sense of smell. It was my first surgery I've every had, and never has general anesthesia before. I will discuss this with my neurosurgeon when i have my post op meeting. It may have been the anesthesia I'm guessing? I hope and pray this is temporary. I love food, and I love baking. I can't taste flavor. I just can taste sweet and sour. I had covid in 2020, and that also made me loose a little bit of my taste as well. I'm only 28 by the way.

Best Answer

Hi!
Hope your surgeon will be able to reassure you. I do know in my case the doctor was not aware of any such reaction to surgery; I found that info on my own. And I know how medical professionals hate to have their patients refer to Dr Google for info, so I didn't press the issue!

As encouragement, all my sense of taste returned in a few weeks. Very gradually, such that I didn't notice it until biting into a particularly delicious apple pie and realizing...well...it's deliciousness!  

Best Answer

I understand Healthcare professionals hate it when you tell them you learned things from the internet. I'm actually a registered nurse, and I tell patients this all the time. But I've found some scholarly articles about it. 

It's already been 4 weeks and I don't notice much of a change. It might take longer for me to develop my taste buds again. 

Best Answer

This is an interesting thread. Please keep us updated on your progress. Good Luck !

Best Answer

Oh my goodness! Now my taste has not come back fully. But it's getting better. But you know the funniest thing? My sister made apple pie last week, and I was able to taste it! I could taste the apples, and spices, and crust. Then I thought of your reply, and and started laughing because I couldn't belive it! How crazy is that?! 

Best Answer

@Hawaaaa - Thank you very much for the update! That was probably the best apple pie you’ve ever had! 

Best Answer

I just went through surgery 2 months ago and now for about a week everything I eat taste like salt. I don't know why or how to fix it, but I wish it wof

Best Answer

TYPO:

I wish it would go away so I can ear without everything tasting salty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

had hip replacement surgery 10 days ago. surgery went well i believe.

i was given spinal block and some concoction of overall anesthesia including ketamine.

everything taste pretty bad so far.  i experience a lack of appetite i associate with he change in taste.

my mouth has what can only be described as a metallic taste.

i have been craving only diet coke and spearmint lifesavers.

i will circle back with what happens overtime.

Best Answer
0 Votes