Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motivational Monday 2/12/20: Getting Back to the Gym

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in posting this blog, it has been a busy week here at Fitbit! Today, I want to share about my recent experience re-joining my local gym and what helps motivate me to stay active throughout the week

After a 6 month hiatus from having a gym membership, I was feeling out of shape. Not just physically, but mentally out of shape. I had been doing yoga and taking my 80 lb German Shepherd for periodic runs around Lake Merritt in Oakland California, where I live, and I was telling myself that this was enough to 'maintain' but I began to feel like my overall health and wellness were slipping. 

After some self-reflection, it dawned on me that I was not doing myself any favors by avoiding an active gym membership. So I did a little research online and found that the gym I had once been a member of (and quit to try out other options) was still the most affordable and accessible for my lifestyle. So I mounted the courage to head over to my local branch and start-up my membership once more. The staff was so friendly and they let me reinstate at the price I paid over 2 years ago!

It only took one workout for me to realize that I had just made a great decision. In fact, I had forgotten how much I love going to the gym, lifting weights, listening to music, sitting in the sauna. A sense of community, an atmosphere, a place for self-reflection, a place where I could truly focus on what my body needs. THIS is what I was missing. 

I am proud to say that I have been working out regularly (3-4 times a week) for the last month and I am already starting to see the results of my hard work - both physically and mentally. I never leave the gym thinking to myself, "that was a waste of time" or "that was a bad idea." Rather, I find a great sense of calm and clarity after a heavy workout and sauna, which allows me the headspace I need to be the best version of myself! 

Anyhow, for the sake of brevity, I will wrap up this post (though I could go on and on). I hope that you found my anecdotal experience motivational. I feel motivated just by expressing my thoughts. Looking forward to hitting the gym later today! Feel free to let me know what motivates you to stay active in the comments below! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Great post! Was very Motivational! I enjoyed reading it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Good for you 🙂 I did something opposite and cancelled my membership this week. I haven't been to the gym since October last year due to the surgery. Then, I changed my focus and I didn't have time for regular gym anymore (or even energy). All in all, I decided to cancel the membership as I don't think I will visit the gym anytime soon. I may be back one day but I see no benefits of it right now and common sense tells me that at this point I don't need it.

Best Answer

Great write up @MattFitbit!  I, too, have been in a funk with my workout routine -- or rather, lack of workout routine, ha!  Focusing too much on total steps and less on workouts and activities that I enjoy, like weight lifting and yoga.  I was also very sick for an entire month, which completely killed any chance of being able to workout at all for a period of time.

After a great conversation with @emili (who is a wonderful sounding board), I've gotten back into it this week.  With a goal of running 3-4 times per week and hitting the gym at least twice for weight lifting and other activities, I'm feeling better already.  I've ran twice this week and went to the gym once (resting today).  I'm going to run tomorrow and on Saturday I'm planning a longer gym session than I'm usually able to do.  I think I'll also hit the sauna after my weight lifting and cardio session on Saturday -- that sounds just like something I need.  Thanks for the idea, Matt!

Every workout or run is planned ahead of time so there is no excuse.  I have a treadmill at home, so that makes it easy to get my runs in before work and my gym is only a 5 minute drive away.  

And you're so right, I never, ever, ever regret a workout once I'm done.  I only regret the ones I didn't take.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

@Heather-S thank you for the shout out. 

Matt good. I'm so pleased you made your way back. I think the feeling of accomplishment is a great motivator. 

As mentioned,  planning is key to maintaining your schedule.  Plan your day's activities in advance.  Clear calendars,  plan appointments around your ultimate goal.  Excuses for not working out are usually your head winning over your body. Your body needs to feel strong, useful,  stretched..your mind wants Netflix and chocolate.  You decide who wins. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@MattFitbit your post made me think of this meme. I love it, it reminds me that there is more than one reason to have a fitness regime and it's something will guide you through your entire life. Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.52.36 AM.png

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

@KateFitbit I love this!  When I'm 90 it will be my Fitbit profile picture 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@KateFitbit  Love this! Had to print out and hang up on the side of my computer 😀

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer