Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motivational Monday - How to cope running with family life!

As a father of three lovely kids, spanning from 4 to 17 years old, one of the biggest challenges in the daily file is to be able to find time for yourself.

This is particularly true if what you aim is to be able to go out for a run. Running can be definitely a great way to keep fit, have time for yourself and relax and can be done easily if you don't have any particularly goal. I mean, you can always find one hour a couple of times a week to wear your running shoes.

More difficult is when you have a particular goal, such as a upcoming race or a target weight, that requires to strictly follow a training plan. In my life I decided to never steal time to my family. If you're
like me the best thing is to put on paper your duties and find a reasonable free slot, that can be, for the greatest part of the people, late in the evening or early in the morning.

It requires lots of sacrifices but you the choice is yours: being an early bird, a night owl or stay at home! Don't chose the latest, pick a training plan and go out running!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I think a lot of us can relate to making time for exercise. I'm currently struggling to make the time for a run and instead go outside for a 30-min walk on most days. I want to try a habit tracker, similar to what you mentioned about writing it down to see if that helps me. 

Hope your runs have been consistent! @Giampi71  

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @AlessFitbit and thanks for asking. Luckily in Japan the COVID-19 issue seems under control and therefore restrictions in place allows me to run as always. Even if I'm teleworking my family comes first so, since my 3 kids are at home from school, I still continue to get up early in the morning.

Last Sunday I was able to have my PB for the half marathon in the last 6 years!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Giampi71 I noticed something really interesting here, in the UK during the lockdown. Children running and cycling with parents. As much as a weekend family cycling trips are not so unusual, the family running, on the other hand, is a new thing. I'm not sure how long this will last. Schools are reopening, people are going back to the "new" normal. It is quite possible that some of the new habits will last and it's not going to be an unusual thing to see parents and children running together. I realize that parents must keep the pace down (although sometimes probably it's going to be the other way around 😉 ) but it is a good compromise in certain circumstances.

Best Answer