Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart Rate Increasing

My resting heart rate (RHR) for years has been from 56-58.  I have been dieting and lost 20 pounds and exercise regularly.  However, over the last two weeks my RHR has increased slowly and steadily to where it now is at 65.  This is unusual for me.  

I recently got the J and J vaccine (about a month ago) and was sick for four days.  While I was sick from the shot it went up but went back down some and has now risen steadily.

Cause for concern?

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

@curtishinton I have found several things that can cause my RHR to rise over several days. In the spring and fall there is about a couple of weeks each time when the pollen starts increasing and my allergies start to exhibit that I find my RHR rising. I don't need the pollen count to tell me when it is ragweed season in the fall. In the past I have also noted a one week rise in RHR before developing symptoms of a cold or flu. I have also found that my RHR rises for a few days in anticipation of an event - be it an exam or a trip. 

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks.  I am highly allergic to ragweed (highly) and I have had a little shortness of breath too.  That may be it.  In the spring and fall i get slight shortness of breath, I think related to allergies.  Thanks for the insight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, 

Just to mention, here are other factors that can affect resting heart rate, like stress, alcohol or caffeine intake, or fever usually raise resting heart rate, while regular exercise or meditation can lower it. Air temperature and certain medications can also affect resting heart rate.

Hope you find this helpful. Have a nice day! 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

If you're concerned, you should have someone qualified help you understand if this is normal for you. I do think factors like change in weather have an affect on our HR. For example when it is super humid, my HR is up slightly while I walk or do any activity outside. Allergies are huge too, not to mention allergy medicine can cause it to go up slightly. If you feel good otherwise, probably no need for concern. However, if it's nagging you, I would call your GP. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Any resolution to this? Did your RHR go back down?

I have a similar situation. I have been tracking my RHR with my fitbit for about 5 years and have consistently been in the range of 46-52. Basically, never above 54. In the past week, my RHR went from 50 to 55 and has stayed in the 55-56 range all week. I feel fine, I'm not at altitude, I haven't been drinking, no new vaccines, haven't donated blood, not particularly stressed, no change to my exercise routine. Is it possible something changed with my fitbit (charge 4) or is it me? Should I be concerned?

Best Answer
0 Votes

May be a warning sign of a cardiovascular change, like higher blood pressure or early heart disease. Other reasons a resting heart rate may trend upward include a poor reaction to medication, elevated thyroid hormone levels, anemia, or an underlying infection.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Thanks. I'm aware of some of these possibilities, but I wonder about how well they fit my case. Even after spiking, my RHR would be considered low for most men my age (52). Also, my change was very fast--wouldn't the cardiovascular changes (e.g. atherosclerosis) be more slow? I checked my BP and it hasn't noticeably changed. Also, no fever and no medications. I guess anemia might manifest as a change in HR without BP if mild enough or possibly infection.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I should add that I also posted this to see if others have seen something similar. I wanted to know if this could be a fitbit issue rather than a "me" issue. If others experienced the same thing, I would wonder if either the device (charge 4) or the fitbit algorithm for calculating RHR might have changed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dz1234 I don't think there's been any changes in the resting heart rate algorithm. My last three weeks resting heart rate are consistent and within one beat of each other.

Best Answer

A change of hardware could be it. Specially for only a few points of RHR, you could still be within the error margin of the hardware. 

Best Answer
0 Votes