• You sit down when recharging as you don't want to 'waste' any steps
  • You park further away from the shops to gain extra steps

Moderator edit: format

~ Vicki ~
Fitbit One.
Melbourne, Australia
Best Answer
1,620 REPLIES 1,620

No kidding! I was short on steps yesterday (a lazy weekend day), but I didn't want to have a day under 10,000 last week, so while I was watching the Nationals game, I did some walking of the halls between innings and of those Leslie Sansone walking videos to get to 10,000. If my Alta needs recharging, I try to do it when I'm eating so I waste as few steps as possible.

Best Answer

Or owning a Charge HR and a Blaze so that one can always be on the charger?  Woman LOL

Seriously, I bought the Blaze so I could swap out the bands.  I'm almost at the point where the XL Charge HR is too big so I may eventually got to a L Charge 2 when Waterfi starts providing them (yes, I know they are not an authorized seller, but that's my risk).

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

You are having a glass of wine and decide to pace the house to get in steps! Then halfway through the glass you realize how much faster you walk when you have alittle drink in your system!Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
I ordered a new band for my Alta wrist thingy so I can wear it around my ankle. Customer Service told me it really wasn't designed to be worn that way, I certainly won't be bending over to check my steps, I just wanted to give it a try. I can always sit and read and swing my leg - yes, I know, that's cheating.
Best Answer

@Marydu  I so love your sense of adventure and your humor!  You go girl!

Currently Blaze plus Alta as back up which is THE perfect combo! One
Best Answer

You are having a glass of wine and decide to pace the house to get in steps! Then halfway through the glass you realize how much faster you walk when you have alittle drink in your system!Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

Marydu,  Working in physical therapy since 94. That is not cheating. It is active minutes of physical activities. Many people here ( I am sure ) march in a sitting position with their fitbit hand on their knees to get steps. I myself do aerobic stepping/dancing to get in steps many times during the day. You can find me stepping quickly right next to my bed 10 minutes before midnight to get those last 1000 steps to make 10,000.  Exercise/active movement is not cheating. It is doing what you can to get/stay healthy. Your Fitbit encourages you to keep moving to reach your goal no matter what you do to get there.

Best Answer

I've never heard of the sitting down steps, but darn if it doesn't work. It's something I'd only do if I were in a position where getting up and walking around isn't an option.

I have, however, paced my very small apartment to get extra steps. If I haven't showered and undressed for the day, I'll walk up and down the hallway in my apartment building.

Best Answer

I find friends real or virtual a great help when trying to acheive something so would love to have some fitbit friends on My Fitness Pal. 

If interested please add Fortyodd1 and I'll do my best to return the good vibes!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got the new large band for my Alta and now wear it on my right ankle. I think it records steps better - if I am carrying a load of laundry, my arm isn't swinging, one-armed pushing a shopping cart really doesn't work. This way I get my steps counted. Also if it is on my wrist, I really don't swing my arms much - neck, back problems - I have to think about moving my arms. The only problem is the sleep tracking - so far it either thinks I sleep all day (yesterday I didn't do much - neck hurt) or it thinks I don't sleep at all. Thursday I cleaned like a crazy person (which is why my neck hurt so much on Friday) but I got more than the 4,500 steps I try for. I knew vacuuming and mopping floors had to count - on my wrist, I never got that many steps - even when vacuuming sitting on a chair! I realized I won't get "cheater" steps for just moving my legs - when on my recliner or any other chair I can't even cross my legs because of my hips. I'm happy - my wrist-ankle thingy is really happy, buzzing like crazy when I went over 4,500 steps!! Of course, I can't bend over to check the time, the number of steps or anything - I don't bend that well. I have lots of watches and I check my progress on my cell phone!! I don't care what they say - it works!!
Best Answer

@Marydu wrote:
I got the new large band for my Alta and now wear it on my right ankle. I think it records steps better - ... I don't care what they say - it works!!

It does seem to track steps ok -- and better in cases where you arms are carrying somethnig or pushing a stroller or shopping buggy etc.  But you should also be aware it is likely to artificially inflate the estimated calorie burn from those steps.  When worn on the ankle, it will "sense" a higher "impact" with each step and guess that you are working harder.  (Consider the impact of jumping rope or jogging, for instance.)

So if you are also using its calorie estimate to determine how much you can/should eat or how much weight you should be losing, just be aware you are getting more steps counted at the expense of over stating the calorie burn.

I"m not saying don't do it if that works for you.  Just saying it has other side effects to consider.

Best Answer

@Marydu Just out of curiosity,  does it seem to be reasonably accurate in counting your pulse rate (BPM)?  The only time I tried that, it seemed to give me a number about twice what it really should have done.

Regards,

Gary

Gary, Canada,
Charge HR, Charge 2
Best Answer
No your not, lol. It's a Fitbit thing...
Best Answer
Me too vicki😉
Best Answer
0 Votes
@hurdlemom, but I've heard a glass of wine takes an additional trip to the gym to erase. Lol
Best Answer
Then it is 2 miles on the treadmill at a fast pace and 15 degree elevation
and an hour of weights. "Burn Baby, Burn"
Best Answer

@garybartlett - I have a treadmill with handles for pulse and when working out it seems to hit about the same number.  I can't compare moment to moment, but if I look at the workout afterwards they seem to be close.  I just tried it now for ~60 secs and the treadmill was actually 2 bpm higher.

I own a garmin chest strap monitor that I haven't used in a while.  I'd need to put a battery in to do a comparison, but someone else mentioned that they had compared and they were also pretty close. It's a tool, showing you where you were yesterday, and where you are today as a comparison.  How you use the data is the important thing.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
Customer Service told me not to do it, but I'm wearing my Alta on my right ankle. Because of my numerous physical ailments, when I walk, I don't swing any arm right to get the steps to count. If I am swinging an arm, I'm trying to get/retain my balance. Because of the pieces and parts of my body that want to fall off or apart, I can't just sit and swing my leg and get "cheater" steps (like making brownies from a box mix = 500 steps!!). I think the sleep part might be off, but at least I get the steps in the grocery store - walking but hanging on the cart! I'm happy.
Best Answer

@Marydu  As long as you get it to count, it really shouldn't matter.  At least I don't think so.  When I am at the market with a cart, I stop long enough to put my Alta from my wrist and tuck it into the waistband of my workout wear pants.  It counts pretty accurately there from what I can determine.  That works for me.  Sometimes I forget to move it and that just irritates me when I lose on my step count.  Oh well, that becomes an excuse to make up the steps when I put it back on my arm.  I've had a tough month and haven't done well with walking, but am back on the road again!  Gotta lose the last of this blubber!  49 lbs and counting so only a third more to go!  Woo Hoo!  I find you inspiring and look up to you as you keep me motivated!  Thank you ever so much!

Currently Blaze plus Alta as back up which is THE perfect combo! One
Best Answer
0 Votes
@Donna_K - trust me on this, I am not someone to look up to - I'm just a happy, old cripple with a really weird sense of humor. I mostly irritate people, I talk to my cats, I listen to my cats, and I obey my cats (obey God first, though)..............keep on walking!!
Best Answer