Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm a little bit frustrated by the calories burned.  I have a fitbit HR and just got a new One (because i don't like wearing something on my wrist).  Yesterday I walked over 16,000 steps and 36 flights but still didn't burn 2000 calories.  I apparently burn about 1300 just breathing (based on the day I didn't get out of bed with the flu).  I didn't wear my HR yesterday, but a day with a similar amount of steps had me at over 2200.  I realize on the other day I could have been walking faster or something but not 300 calories worth faster for slightly fewer steps.  Is there any way to get the burn numbers a little closer?... it's also a bit frightening if the goal is 10,000 steps, and 10 flights - I don't think I would ever hit the burn goal of 2028 at that and I don't think a 1200 calorie diet is healthy just to loose 10 pounds.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@MissMRWhite wrote:

.. it's also a bit frightening if the goal is 10,000 steps, and 10 flights - I don't think I would ever hit the burn goal of 2028 at that and I don't think a 1200 calorie diet is healthy just to loose 10 pounds.

You can change these numbers to what ever you want on the dashboard. Hover your mouse over to the bottom left until you see a gear and click on it and then change it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@MissMRWhiteWelcome.... As @WendyB suggested you can change the goal numbers but we should consider the health side of your goal.  Also the 10 flights goal only contributes to the Calories Burned by the effort, nothing to do with, "how many 10' rises in altitude" you achieve.

Fitbit uses the equations that this calculator uses and that will give your your BMR which should be close to your "flu" session when you were resting. It is vital your physical settings are correct and when you approach a birthday the extra year only drops 5 calories off the BMR.

The table data below gives you an idea of effort and from that you can adjust your Calories Burned Goal to a healthy level.

You multiply your BMR x a factor to get your suggested Calorie Burned Goal or, conversely divide the BMR into the your current Calories Burned Goal to see what Fitbit have evaluated.

Over the years I have found that women seem to have a factor of 1.7 which is challenging for early adoptees of the Fitbit. Because of Fitbit's policies I cannot find out how this calculation is arrived.  But, we do know Fitbit follow the CDC guidelines in this link

My last years average factor was 1.56 and my weight is stable, just normal fluctuations each week and I know I have to up my effort to drop the next 5KG or 11 lbs

Sedentary.  Little to no regular exercise. (factor 1.2)

Mild activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 20 minutes 1 to 3 times per week. This may include such things as bicycling, jogging, basketball, swimming, skating, etc.  If you do not exercise regularly, but you maintain a busy life style that requires you to walk frequently for long periods, you meet the requirements of this level.  (factor 1.375)

Moderate activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 30 to 60 minutes 3 to 4 times per week. Any of the activities listed above will qualify.    (factor 1.55)

Heavy or (Labor-intensive) activity level: Intensive exercise for 60 minutes or greater 5 to 7 days per week (see sample activities above).  Labor-intensive occupations also qualify for this level.  Labor-intensive occupations include construction work (brick laying, carpentry, general labor, etc.). Also farming, landscape worker or similar occupations.     (factor 1.7)

Extreme level: Exceedingly active and/or very demanding activities:  Examples include:  (1) athlete with an almost unstoppable training schedule with multiple training sessions throughout the day  (2) very demanding job, such as shoveling coal or working long hours on an assembly line. Generally, this level of activity is very difficult to achieve.  (factor 1.9)

@MissMRWhite wrote:

I'm a little bit frustrated by the calories burned.  I have a fitbit HR and just got a new One (because i don't like wearing something on my wrist).  Yesterday I walked over 16,000 steps and 36 flights but still didn't burn 2000 calories.  I apparently burn about 1300 just breathing (based on the day I didn't get out of bed with the flu).  I didn't wear my HR yesterday, but a day with a similar amount of steps had me at over 2200.  I realize on the other day I could have been walking faster or something but not 300 calories worth faster for slightly fewer steps.  Is there any way to get the burn numbers a little closer?... it's also a bit frightening if the goal is 10,000 steps, and 10 flights - I don't think I would ever hit the burn goal of 2028 at that and I don't think a 1200 calorie diet is healthy just to loose 10 pounds.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer