Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitive Answer for New Fitbit One Not Turning On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all,

Sorry, I know I should check the posts for this answer, but I'm spending so much time on this issue already!    Purchased two new Fitbit Ones still in the box.   Like others' experiences, they won't turn on.    We were able to set them up through the Fitbit app and it recognizes them.   They show update version of software and battery level, but they won't turn on.  We bought them from eBay and the seller is understandably skeptical that both of them are nonfunctional.   I've been in contact with support and tried many different things and nothing works.  Has anyone gotten an answer for this problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

The Fitbit One is an old device in electronics terms.  They were discontinued several years ago.  Even never used rechargeable batteries will deteriorate over time, so it may be that there is simply not enough juice in the battery to operate.

Having said that, it is a good sign that it is showing the software and charge level, and that the app recognises it.  Give it a couple of hours charge until the charge level shows at least 50% (80% is ideal) and then try the restart procedure.  While the One is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the button for 5-10 seconds and then release.  You may need to repeat this a couple of times, but with luck they may spring into life!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your reply.   I know they were discontinued several years ago, but I'm one of the few that think it's still the best one.   I don't like wearing a fitbit on my wrist and I like the altimeter.    

I spent a day with Support and tried everything they suggested until they didn't have anything else to suggest and they finally concluded the unit was defective.   Thank goodness I still have my old one and it's working.   I was afraid it was going to stop working years ago so I decided to transition to a newer model and bought a Charge 2, which is just okay.   Then I bought an Inspire 2 which was awful.   I don't even know why I bought it!    But I'd like to have a backup One in case mine dies.   Fortunately when you buy off eBay, they have a guarantee, so my boyfriend and I were able to get our money back except for the shipping charge to return the defective ones.   So I guess it's just the fact that in anything mass produced there will be lemons, whether it's a fibit or a car.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your new fitbit One is no less than 5 years old. This makes it hardly new. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich 

My new Fitbit One was in the original packaging, which is why I used the term new.     My old Fitbit still works fine.    Other people's old Fitbits still work fine.    What's your point?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

My point is that, as @Julia_G points out, your "new" is 5+ years old. Even in the unopened package, the battery, if not kept properly charged, may well be past being usable. 

For either device, If you do a search, you can find companies that will replace the battery. You could also buy a kit and change the battery yourself. 

If you bought a 2015 mustang today, even with only 10 miles on the odometer, would you call it new, or practically new? The battery would be dead, the tires dry rotted maybe also the interior, the oil would also need to be changed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich, I too have a similar problem, in charger my ONE is fully charger and even updated the latest firmware 6.64 > yet when i take it off the charger - it really acts like its dead though the app can read it....   and its battery level..  Yet the button on it does (nothing)...   
Defective ??

Best Answer

Hello @LiveUp and welcome to the Community.  I'm sorry that no one responded to your question until now.  I looked at your profile and see that you are a new Fitbit user.  Even if your One is "new" and right out of the box, it has an old battery.  It won't perform like a fresh, new battery.  If it is syncing to your app, then I suppose you can continue to use it.  But don't expect much.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Gracie, Someone recently passed on to me some Fitbit things she didn't want--some Flex bands, a Flex charger (I have a Flex) and ... I think it's a Fitbit One. I have no idea if it works (I don't have a charger for it), but in any case, I don't want it--I like my Flex. If you'll pay shipping, I'm happy to send it to you. Can't guarantee it works, but it might be worth a try? It has a little clip-on case as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is the same I just bought it the sleep band was unused and while the box had been opened it turned on when I put it in the charger. But even though the battery says it's 100 it won't work unless in the charger so its not a rare defect. I'm sad I thought I got a good deal and I can't return it so it looks like I'm out money. Doesn't really make me want to buy a newer fitbit though.

Best Answer

Hi, @Bethee1 , as I am sure you know, all rechargeable batteries have a limited life and even wholly unused batteries will deteriorate over time.  This is especially true if they are left for months (and in this case it is likely years) in a state of complete discharge.  

This is definitely not a fault or defect in the Fitbit.  Unfortunately it is a fact of physics!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes but the battery says it's 100 charged and I did get it updated and such (yes its in the charger but) so not sure it's about the battery but thanks if it hadn't turned on in the charger in the store I wouldn't have bought it. Regardless I'm out money and looking at other brands for something more trustworthy. If the battery was dead it shouldn't read at 100 percent.

Sent from my Metro by T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
0 Votes

Batteries do breakdown over time, and even though you say it looks brand new. 

The Fitbit One was announced, along with the Zip in. September if 2012. I believe, retired in 2016, in any case your new one may be already 5 to 10 years old. 

This really doesn't say anything about how fitbit performs today. My One continued to work very well for for  years until the charging cable broke. 

If you are adventurous or have a teenager friend, their are videos on changing the battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bethee1 are you sure it is a Fitbit One?  Although they have been available on EBay for a while, stores have not stocked this model for years.  Was it a second hand store?  Can you attach a picture of your Fitbit?

If it is a Fitbit One, and you think it might work, plug it in to charge as normal and while it is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the button for 5+ seconds until you feel a slight vibration and see the Fitbit logo.  A restart can often get a device going again if the battery is still functioning properly.  

Let us know how it goes, and as always, give us as much information as you can.  Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi it's def a fitbit but sorry not sure how to post photos on here.. thanks for the help it didn't work.. I got it at a secondhand store but since I plugged it in and it turned on I figured it was fine. It's a shame that these companies are so greedy they don't just offer an easy way to replace batteries and would rather you throw it out and hurt the environment but pad their bottom line because they make it this way on purpose to make you buy another after a few years. Fitbits aren't cheap either.  it's really sad that's where we are in this day and age knowing these plastics don't degrade and the batteries don't do well in landfill etc. 

Again thanks for your help.

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks rich I was looking into that seems a bit complicated for me but I'm going to see if I can find someone to give it to willing to do that so a brand new product doesn't end up in landfill for nothing. 

Cheers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Bethee1 , unfortunately this is not uniquely Fitbit issue.  These days it is also difficult to change your cell phone battery, and usually it will need to be sent away to a repair shop in order to do it.  Apple are particularly guilty, because they glue everything down.

I know of a number of people who have successfully changed their Fitbit One battery.  It is easier than it looks, though you will probably have to source the tools and battery from Hong Kong (google is your friend!). As @Rich_Laue says teenagers are often your best bet, but if you have a local phone repair service that you can go chat to they could probably also help. 

If you can get it going, I can confirm that my Fitbit One which is now about 7 or 8 years old, is still going strong, so if it is well treated (meaning not allowed to sit in deep discharge for years) it lasts really well.  Sadly you can no longer buy a new Fitbit One, as it has been discontinued.  It is to be fair, not quite right to consider it a “brand new product” - sadly, yours is not brand new in any sense of the word!  However, I think it is great that you might be willing to take on the challenge of getting it going again in order to keep it out of landfill.  Good for you!  (And I agree - batteries on rechargeable devices ought to be much easier to replace - especially phones!)

Best Answer
Yes I should have said unused rather then new. The sleep band was definitely unopened etc.
Anyway yeah hoping that someday we consumer's steer companies back to do better which definitely hurts their bottom line but is better for the planet which includes replaceable batteries. Once the electronic companies started with the unreplaceable batteries bs was a sad day for us as consumers and our wallets and planet. Disposable society is bad imo. I'm hoping that will change and the companies will once again make products built to last or to be fixed. That's where I want my money to go. I'm hoping enough of us demand it.
Meanwhile I definitely try to do what I can to keep stuff out of landfills for my own conscience during my time in earth haha. Thanks again for the help and all!
Best Answer

I just bought a ‘New’ one, unused, still in the box but have the same problem. It fires up a display while plugged in, shows a full battery, pairs with the App but dies when unplugged. I love my old One and wanted a back up as I’m not keen on any of the watch options.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Geeb as mentioned above, your "New" watch is anything but new, and at the minimum 4-5 years since being manufactured. Having never been charged, your dead battery is well past its shelf life. Also it was mentioned that it is possible to change the battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes