Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering non-step-based exercise decreases calories burned

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I currently use the FitBit One in conjucntion with Myfitnesspal.  When I log any non-step-based activity in MFP (or in FitBit - I've tried doing it both ways), I lose calories burned.  For example, I've currently logged 6000+ steps for the day, and burned 1300 calories (in MFP that equates to about 350 calories).  If I add in the weight class that I did for 30 minutes (a NON-step based exercise), my calories burned in FitBit drop by about 100, and most of the calories earned in MFP disappear completely.

The non-step-based activites are in ADDITION to my steps, so I should get additional calories burned - not lose calories burned.  How can I fix this?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @JFackler10! When you input an activity, it overwrites calories burned from steps from that period. What I suspect you will see, if you check the calories from lifting, is that both MFP and Fitbit estimate the calories from lifting as very low, so you're overwriting the step calories from that period with a very low calorie burn.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, @JFackler10! When you input an activity, it overwrites calories burned from steps from that period. What I suspect you will see, if you check the calories from lifting, is that both MFP and Fitbit estimate the calories from lifting as very low, so you're overwriting the step calories from that period with a very low calorie burn.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry for the delayed response!  Thank you for your answer @MakMak! I completely understand what you're you're saying, however, is there any way to make it so that BOTH sets of calories are being counted (those from the steps that were taken during that time, AND the strength training)?  Because technically, I'm burning all of those calories.  I just want to make sure that my calorie burn and what I'm eating all match up!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know what you're saying... unfortunately, with Fitbit, you have to pick one. My suggestion would be to go online and do a little research to estimate what you're burning and just manually enter the calories in. Hopefully, when you're doing sessions they're pretty consistent level of effort and you can just enter the same thing in every time to save yourself effort.

Best Answer
0 Votes