Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One Not Counting Floors Correctly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
My Fitbit One showed 6 flights of steps. Then synced and said 4 floors. I have left a penny on the top step each time I went upstairs in the house.

I have 12 pennies and yet Fitbit shows only 4 floors.

I've been using it in this same house for many months. Now it cannot count stairs correctly? I read that approximately 10 feet difference in elevation accounts for a flight of stairs.

What can been done to correct this miscalculation?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Your One calculates floors by measuring changes in air pressure through a small hole on the back of the One. Could it be that this hole has become blocked?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I checked the hole on the back and it's seems fine.

But I did do a "Reset" to see if it will function properly.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I checked the hole on the back and it's seems fine.

But I did do a "Reset" to see if it will function properly.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Like many of you I have experienced interesting issues with floors.  On the same route floors have been recorded as 13, 0, 2, 5, 7, 9, 0, etc.  I have checked air hole, carried in same pocket, pace has varied a little.

But 0? 13?  is the takeaway from our experiences that the one does not measure floors well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@seeingsystems it certainly seems that your One does not measure floors well (mine seems to be measuring them fine). 

If several restarts don't work for you then it may be that yours is defective. Are you still within warranty? (you can check the terms at www.fitbit.com/returns ) If so, it might be worth contacting customer support. If they can't resolve it they may offer a replacement:

contact.fitbit.com

Best Answer
0 Votes
Problem with Fitbit One not counting flights of steps correctly is inconsistent. Often the very next day it seems to count them more accurately. I took advantage of Target’s $20 gift card promotion and got the Alta only to discover it counted the flights of steps with almost the same inconsistency. Unbelievable! So might it be something to do with the weather or barometer reading on those days?

I’ve had my One for quite some time-probably over a year. So warranty isn’t relevant. And it seems after wearing the Alta for 5 days that it also has the same inconsistent recording of floors, flights of steps, 10 feet of altitude whatever you choose to call it.

Disappointing as those flights of steps are a matter of pride. And they constitute effort and work for a 70 year-old woman.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd be very surprised if the Alta recorded any floors as it doesn't have the necessary sensor to do this.

If floors are important to you then it might be best returning the Alta. You can see what features each fitbit model (including the ones announced in the last couple of days) have here:

www.fitbit.com/compare

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well now I feel rather foolish as I didn't realize that Alta wasn't capable of one of my favorite features of Fitbit. I've continued to wear my One with the mistaken notion that I could compare them. So the Floors statistic that showed up on the app was in fact coming from the One.

Nuts! Now I'm back to square one. I like the appearance of the Alta and find the reminders to move helpful. Followed your suggestion to compare features and sadly I don't care for wearing rubber bands so that's it.

I have small hands and wrists. And the Alta is just borderline small enough to fit and not be klunky.

Need to give some thought to whether or not I need to buy a replacement for my One. And that stinks! I would have expected it to work accurately for a long time.
Best Answer