Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One went through washing machine

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Like many others I was devastated when my fitbit endured an hours cycle in the washing machine. However I left it in rice in the airing cupboard for a week and amazingly it's working again!! I kept trying it each day but it was only after 7 days that it came back so don't give up hope.......

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Glad it came back!

I did this 3 years ago and put mine in rice for a few days and its still going strong to this day Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I have washed and dried mine a few times by accident and it didn't hurt mine at all.  

Best Answer

Mine won't turn on or charge 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NoMrk  Put it rice for at least 48 hours and see if it helps

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

The same thing happened to my Fitbit one but I was lucky and it worked after just drying the outside of the device.

Best Answer

mine went through the washer and dryer twice and survived a dive into salt water. Doesn't hold the charge so well, but.. hopefully yours will come back.

Best Answer

Hi,

So my Fitbit 1 just went through the washer & drier for the 1st time. It is working, however, I am wondering, should I put i in rice for 24 hours? Thought? Please advise. Thanks much,

Cory

Best Answer

Oops, sorry for the typos; my brain is faster than my very poor typing skills!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would try just incase.

Best Answer

Mine is going strong after washing it in washing machine.  I did not even try drying it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some Ones are better sealed than others. I've opened well over 100 Fitbit Ones and sometimes there's a solid bead of glue around the perimeter, often times though, it's more of a dotted line, which retains the case but doesn't waterproof it. On the other hand, I've over-glued Fitbits from Ones to Charge and made them waterproof 🙂 

Best Answer

That's interesting. My One is working, but holds a charge for maybe one day or two, at the most. Before the washer/dryer episode, I only charged it every 7-10 days. 
I have never opened my One. Sounds good to me, however, what are the steps (i.e., how does it open, what tool to use, etc.)? Also what type of glue works best? Please advise. 
Thanks much,
Cory

Moderator edit: Removed personal information. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @CoryCD I hope you're well. I'll see your replies sooner if you 'tag' me. It's probably one of those "correlation isn't necessarily causation" things with your One's battery life and the washing machine as the water would either destroy it or not. The nerd in me wants to mention water doesn't damage our Fitbits, electrolytes in water cause metals to corrode (pure water isn't harmful but is rare). OK pardon my digression, LOL opening the one requires a razor blade and patience. There's a seal around the top and bottom sections that will come apart. I've done older Ones with my fingernail and not even needing the blade but the blade is great as it removes all the glue if done properly, just be careful to not cut yourself. If any glue remains, just use 99% isopropyl and a microfiber cloth to remove while separated from the electronics. The best adhesive to reseal the One is B7000. Tools: required are soldering iron, razor blade, adhesive. Recommended tools include a nice soldering mat so you don't burn your table and a clamping "helping hands" setup. Personally, I tend to don a watchmaker's headband with lights and a magnifying glass when working on Fitbits. I've also gone MacGiver on them before with hands and lighter instead of soldering iron and professional tools, but that was to show off LOL use tools. This first picture shows both a good (but detached) OEM One battery and the puffy ones that I've seen in >80% of Ones I've refurbished. Ask any questions, always eager to help out fellow Fitbit One aficionados get back up and stepping! 

20201101_114029 (1).jpg20201101_113000.jpgAlways good to test before glue!Always good to test before glue!20201104_180004.jpgDifference in original/new batteryDifference in original/new batteryOpening up the Fitbit One before replacing batteryOpening up the Fitbit One before replacing battery

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Fit bit One is still working beautifully with no problems related to being put through washing machine Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It still works, but holds a charge for 2.5 days max.

Cory Calandra Devereaux
Artist/Muralist

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @CoryCD , this is most likely due to the age of the device rather than it having been through the washing machine.  All rechargeable batteries do deteriorate over time.  You can maximise the lifetime of your battery by avoiding deep discharges as much as possible.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WilligerAny advice for a recently-washed FitBit one which almost/sort-of works?  I've washed it accidentally before, and it had come out OK.  This time, it won't reset.  It shows "FITBIT 6.64" if I press button after plugging in to power, and power bar briefly (full).  BUT, it won't start on press/hold of button.  I've also tried 12-second hold to reset when plugged in, and that doesn't seem to do anything.  I have not yet done the rice therapy.  Any other advice?  Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for asking. I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your Fitbit One to start working now. To be honest,  I just don't know how mine worked after it was washed. It has been quote a while since I washed mine. I really did not do anything in particular besides charging it.I was really quite surprised that it worked and it is still working.I will try to think back, and if I can think of anything you could try, I'll send you a note.Good luckSent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kiloJoe don’t put it on the charger until it has had the rice trick for at least 48 hours (I’d give it 72), then charge, then reset.  I bet it will work!  Good luck!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes