Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Tracking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a Fitbit One. My husband has had one for some time. When we go for a walk together, we register similar steps. However, around the house, I hardly register anything. I vacuumed our upstairs (about 1000 sq ft) and it didn't register a single step. Today, it said that I went upstairs 3 times. I was doing laundry, so I went upstairs about 3 times in one hour alone. I have tried it both on my waist and on my bra. I'm a pretty active person, but apparently I don't walk with a heavy step or something. This isn't any good to me if it is this random. Any ideas? The tracker is brand new - all should be OK.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to our Community @ThunderingHerd! Thanks for stopping by! Smiley WinkI'd suggest you restart your tracker by going to How do I restart my tracker?, also I'd like you to read the following articles How does my tracker count floors? and How accurate is my Zip or One?.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Meylin | Community Moderator

"The only way to do great work is to love what you do." What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi @ThunderingHerd. I would like to add a few comments to @MeylinP's excellent post.

Your Fitbit One tracks steps via a sensor called a 3D-axis accelerometer, a device similar to what you find in Nintendos and other game consoles. Unless there is sufficient acceleration and momentum in the movement, there may not be enough information going to the sensor to trigger it. That could happen for example with very slow moving steps taken in the middle of the night, tiptoeing for a visit to the bathroom for example. It may also be the case when you're vacuumming. I don't know about you, but when I vaccuum, I feet are dragging on the floor, and my gait is a back and forth motion, as opposed to the usuall knock of the heel to the floor when I walk normally. So it follows that many of those steps and perhaps all of them would not get counted.

Your best bet when vaccuuming would be to keep the One in the sleepband attached to the wrist that you use the most when vaccuuming. I pretty sure that it will register a lot of more steps that way, especially if your movements back and forth have some momentum.

As for floors, a floor gets (or should get) counted for every change in elevation of 10 feet or more, as long as there is no interruption in the ascent. In our home for example, we have a two-tier staircase; and unless I make the turn quickly without interrupting the continuous flow of movement upstairs, the floor won't get counted, because of that mid-stairway landing. But you know @ThunderingHerd, the floor metrics is just that, a number and nothing else. A floor does not carry any incremental caloric burn value. But all your steps taken in both direction (up and down) do get counted, regardless of the floor registering or not. So to me, floors is just a fun statistic, meant at keeping folks motivated to take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator when at the mall or at the office.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

TandemWalker.png            TW             TandemWalker.png

(If this tip solved the problem for you, please mark this post solved, as this will be helpful to other users experiencing similar issues.) 

Best Answer

I am brand new (got it Sunday) and noticed that it wasn't counting my steps (unless I was excessively walking with exaggerated movements). I now have it on my wrist (in the sleep band) and it is tracking. The whole reason I purchsed a Fitbit One was so I wouldn't have to wear it on my wrist. Silly me... Smiley Wink 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for all of the info! We do have a landing in our steps. I would have never thought of that impacting anything. I will try to reboot and will also experiment with wearing it in different locations depending on the activity. Thanks again!

Best Answer
I think the One is calibrated to be worn on the torso instead of the extremities, like all the devices made to be worn on the wrist.

One reason I've stayed with the One is that I've found it better on the treadmill when I'm not running, just walking at a brisk pace but holding onto the bars so my arms and wrist aren't moving much.

Plus I trust the heart rate reading from the treadmill more than any wrist tracker or smart watch.
Best Answer