Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate step counting on 4 different models

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have owned Fitbits for years.  Last year I bought a Blaze that was never accurate with my step count.  After many trials, it was replaced and the new one is also 30% too low on steps.  Tonight I wore together my Fitbit One, HR Charge, Alta and my Blaze and walked 200 steps.  All 4 were short steps 20-30% with the Fitbit One being the most accurate, but still too low.  I asked my husband wear all 4 at the same time and walk 200 steps and all 4 were within 5% accurate for him.  We are the same height and after many years of walking together have the same stride.  I don't tend to swing my arms much, but I'm not the smoothest walker either.  Has anyone else had this same issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

If the Fitbits were accurate for your husband but not for you, that suggests that there is something about your walking style that accounts for the inaccuracy.

Many people who are particularly light on their feet find that with wrist worn trackers that their steps are under counted.  This is because besides your forward motion, the fitbit needs to detect the vibration from your steps through your body and along your arms.  If the vibrations are not strong enough, they may not carry all that way.  If they are strong enough then it does not matter if you swing your arms.  I walk around with my hands in my pockets (bad me!) and my steps count fine when I am outside.  When I am inside, I walk more gently and my fitbits often don't count my "puttering" around steps.

I am a little surprised that you found the One still very short.  A couple of years ago the Journal of American Medicine rated it as one of the most accurate trackers on the market.

Probably the best place to wear it (where you would get the greatest accuracy) would be clipped to trousers, just on the hip, if possible.

Unfortunately, Fitbits are made for averages.  It sounds like you aren't average!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try udjusting you're stride lenght

Fitbit One Expert, Moto G5
Best Answer
0 Votes