Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is dongle sync still required for Android & One?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Fitbit One for several years and always used the dongle on my Windows PC because syncing was not available on Android.   I got a new phone last year (Samsung S8 Android 7.0) and just logged into the Fitbit App and it is trying to sync.   Is this possible?     The app wants me to update the firmware (which I am reluctant to do after reading others' problems after doing so).   Will that get me syncing via phone so I don't have to rely on the PC?   If so, can I still have the dongle working on PC  *AND* syncing via phone app?   (in case one or the other fails, nice to have 2 streams going).

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks all for your input.  I decided not to upgrade the FB One firmware to sync, so I am sticking with the Windows Dongle for now.     Perhaps by the time I stop using Windows, I'll be ready to move on to a newer FB (although the One is perfect for me so far).

It's good to know that Fitbit finally supported Android, but too late for me.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

You don't need the dongle to sync with a mobile device. You just need the phone to be on the supported list at www.fitbit.com/devices and for bluetooth to be enabled.

Yes, you can leave the dongle with the computer and sync using either the computer or phone - this is what I do.

Best Answer

Initially, the One did not sync with Android phone.  Glad to see they've resolved that.

is the firmware update required?  It won't sync currently.  My firmware could be original. (5-6 yrs?)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know about the upgrade but I would guess that fitbit would recommend being on the latest before they investigated any problems.

Best Answer

Yes it should sync fine with your S3. I believe android. Honeycomb is the earliest that will not sync .

Best Answer

@gardengal4 I hope you're doing well! Thanks for posting your inquiry about Android syncing with your One.

Yes, it is possible now just as @SteveH and @Rich_Laue informed. Were you able to successfully sync using your Samsung Galaxy S8?

Please check these syncing troubleshooting steps if you were not able to complete a sync with the Fitbit app. That should certainly help you out with this.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Thanks all for your input.  I decided not to upgrade the FB One firmware to sync, so I am sticking with the Windows Dongle for now.     Perhaps by the time I stop using Windows, I'll be ready to move on to a newer FB (although the One is perfect for me so far).

It's good to know that Fitbit finally supported Android, but too late for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The old firmware should sync with the S3. you should also be able to upgrade the firmware through the same phone .

Best Answer

Rich, phone is an S8.  One definitely requires a firmware update to sync.   It's gotta be at least 6-7 years old and pre-dates Android support, so that's not surprising that it needs an update.   However,  I read way too many negative incidents about updating firmware.  I don't want to risk what I have, especially with the One being discontiued.   

In my 30 years computing experience, I know firsthand that old devices are not likely to work successfully with new software/firmware/drivers.   My motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  

If the firmware had been updated regularly all along, maybe it would be a reasonable thing to upgrade.  But this would be going from A to Z in one step.  Nah... way too risky.

Thanks for your interest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine syncs fine

Best Answer

what firmware version?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gardengal4 Thanks for your reply and for providing that information. Please do let me know if you experience any difficulties with your One. 

The latest version, the one @Rich_Laue has is version 6.64. If you don'y want to update it, its fine, as long it works okay for you and you are having a positive fitness experience. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes